Slam Latch Baggage Door Discussion

RVerFulltime

Fulltiming Since 2004
2010augusta: We are currently moving up the East coast and I had a dealer in WV look at them and he concluded that the doors should be replaced, may wait until we are sure we will get the "new design".

We are thinking about waiting a couple more months to see if the rest of our SLAM DOORS start to fall apart. It would be nice if Heartland would come out and say that they will just replace all of our SLAM DOORS instead of us having to go to the dealer each time another SLAM DOOR falls apart.:confused:

palebluedot

I think by now everyone is aware of the design defect with the slam latch doors and I assume that Heartland agrees. It is my understanding that Heartland is only replacing doors as they start separating and causing problems - primarily with the door that opens on the top with the gas struts. My question concerns what will be Heartlands policy once the unit is out of warranty (one year). I would hope that they would honor replacing these defective design units long after the warranty expires when they start separating. Seems that the side opening doors may take longer than the top opening type for the problem to manifest itself due to less strain. JMHO

DMitch

Do the recently built 2010 models have the new design? Mine seem to work so well I hate to think that down the road I may be in troble with these doors.

Bobby A

Do the recently built 2010 models have the new design? Mine seem to work so well I hate to think that down the road I may be in troble with these doors.
Depends on when yours was built, my 2010 was built in late March and mine was one of the first to have the problem.

RVerFulltime

Fulltiming Since 2004
SLAM DOORS falling off!

:eek:
Depends on when yours was built, my 2010 was built in late March and mine was one of the first to have the problem.

Ours was built in the middle of March and we are seeing a problem with the awning side SLAM DOOR that goes up/down.

We believe palebluedot is correct, it will take longer but the rest of the SLAM DOORS will start to fall apart. This is why we are waiting a little longer and hope that Heartland steps up and just replaces all of the SLAM DOORS on our unit at once with the new design.

For the most part, Heartland produces a good product, but if Heartland starts to be known for the Company that produces RV's whose doors fall off, this would NOT be good for business. :eek:

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1
For the most part, Heartland produces a good product, but if Heartland starts to be known for the Company that produces RV's whose doors fall off, this would NOT be good for business.

NOT GONNA HAPPEN, HEARTLAND HAS TAKEN THE PROBLEM AND FIXED IT ALL WITHIN 3-4 MONTHS OF DOORS STARTING TO HAVE PROBLEMS.

rckc228

I have a even bigger problem, my unit has the full body paint. They can't just replace the door. Each paint job is slightly different. Don,t know what they will do.

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1
They have a paint code and will repaint it. No problem. Body shops make a living every day doing rv's and motorhomes.

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
For the most part, Heartland produces a good product, but if Heartland starts to be known for the Company that produces RV's whose doors fall off, this would NOT be good for business.

NOT GONNA HAPPEN, HEARTLAND HAS TAKEN THE PROBLEM AND FIXED IT ALL WITHIN 3-4 MONTHS OF DOORS STARTING TO HAVE PROBLEMS.

Boy do I agree with Kenny. Heartland, true to every thing I've heard about them has already told Chesapeake RV Solutions that they are sending a replacement door for my doorside baggage compartment.

Heartland has been on top of this and is "doing right" by fixing the problem as soon as becomes apparant. I'm impressed!!

Keith

rick_debbie_gallant

HEY ALL:
I also have the "slam bagage doors". At first all was well. Now, however I am starting to hear them scrape. I also notice there is poor "fit, finish and alignment" (ffa). The ffa that I am speaking about consists of the hinge side being to close to the door frame. Also, on some of the side hung doors the door to frame spacing is poor. I.E: 1/4 inch space at top of door and 1/8 inch on bootom.