Slide wiper not flipping on the top

Hi

Just brought home my new 2015 North Trail 28BRS, pretty excited for the camping season. We had a 2009 NT 22FDS and had pretty good luck with it so was pretty happy buying another North Trail.

I got it home and am always paranoid about water so was double checking the slide seal and noticed the top wiper won't flip out. It has small helper tabs but it still won't flip in the middle. Just looking at it I notice the top of the wiper seems to pull out a bit and that might be keeping it from turning. Across the entire length there are only two screws and my first thought is that a screw in the middle would solve this problem.

Any other ideas? I’m going to try cleaning it and see if that helps. I assume it’s been sitting at the dealers for some time in the wrong position and may need some “re-training”.

Final question, is this wiper essential to keeping water out or is it just for wiping water and debris off as the slide is pulled in. From what I’ve read there’s an inner seal that does most of the work.

Cheers
attachment.php

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    508.1 KB · Views: 214

justafordguy

One of my slide seals does the same thing. I have to get up on the roof every time and pull it the rest of the way out. Hopefully someone has a good solution.

jimtoo

Some folks lay about a 1/4" bead of silicone about midway out on the roof of the slide. This will cause the seal to flip in or out when open or closing the slide.

Jim M

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Some have used self sticking automobile side molding. I'm sure any auto parts store has it. If I remember right, just put it on the top of the slide somewhere about 1' from fully open and it will flip the seal out.

Sent the photo to my dealer and they said to add a couple screws. I'll give that a try and maybe do the silicon trick as well. Will let you know how it works.

If you look at the picture, there's a couple screws holding the wiper on. Dealer called me back and said the wiper is supposed to be 3M taped on an if it's coming out at the top (like in the picture) then they'll replace it. He said to go ahead and add a couple screws if I wanted in the meantime. Brand new haven't even slept in it yet and she's gotta go back for warranty haha.

dbbls59

I don't see anyplace I would put a screw. As others have said, place silicone on the roof of the slide. My Heartland does the same thing, I added slide toppers and don't worry about it anymore. This is the first Heartland I have had and the only one I have had this problem with. None of my other brands had this problem.

jimtoo

OK,, I see the place your talking about, straight down in line with antenna, the wiper is not under the edge there. You might put a screw in, but I would be very careful and even check the size of the other screws. I still don't think this will make your wiper flip in and out. Seems as thou once it got the wrinkle in it,,, you need to give it a little help. Try the screw and let us know.

Jim M

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Not knowing how old your new (build date) camper is. Rubber will get sticky with age and sun. I would just clean it good and see what happens. You will want the wiper to fold back in when the slide goes in.

'Lil Guy'

You can buy the flippers that adhere to the roof about 4 to 5" form the outside edge. You can get them at the dealers. The ones on my rig are about 6" long. They stick down on the rubber roof skin.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
You can also use some Armour All or treatment for the rubber gasket to soften it to allow it to be more flexible. If it is too stiff it may not flip.

Thanks for all the input everyone, much appreciated. Trailer is a 2015 North Trail 28BRS (someone asked)

Update: I installed one 3/4" screw directly in the middle of the other two and applied pressure along the wiper to re-adhere the factory 3M. It appears to be staying put. I ran a few beads of silicon as suggested and it did the trick, wiper flips out nice now. Picture below. I'll probably pick up some slide treatment and do that as a final step.

One question I have on the silicon is I put it about 6" from the outside edge and when the slide is retracted it pulls right through past the inner wiper. I took a picture and you can see it's flipped inward where the silicon is. I assume it doesn't matter what the inner wiper does since the outside flange of the slide seals the unit up anyway. When the room is out, the inner wiper is out. Kinda tempted to peel the silicon strips off and re-apply at 4"-5" as suggested for the helper tabs.

Final question, on the inside of slide room against the wall there's a vertical strip, a D-shape rubber seal. The top and bottom have about 6" of loose material just dangling. Should these be glued straight? It's like this on both sides. Picture below.

Thanks again for your advice. I'm probably over thinking everything as usual, just a bit paranoid because we had a leak on our last one. Dealer is 5 hrs away so this forum is a great help.

Happy trails.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_1127.JPG
    IMG_1127.JPG
    460.2 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_1131.JPG
    IMG_1131.JPG
    512.4 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_1129.JPG