So many decisions for the truck/trailer combo. Please help...

This is my first post. What a nice forum you've all created and contributed to!

I'm going to give my end goal and would love to get all the opinions possible on various options/suggestions. I've done a lot of RV camping in my day, but don't currently have any equipment, so we have a clean slate to start from.

Trailer:
The trailer needs to hold a 13' long Spec Miata. This is a Mazda Miata converted to a dedicated race car. I would prefer to have a few extra feet inside to hold extra tires etc. The largest internal bay area I've found is 14'. Is that right? I suspect this is going to be about a 40' trailer. Do they come any larger than that?

Truck:
I'm inclined to get a Diesel Ford F350 or F450. Would the F350 be too light for this much trailer/weight? Will it need dual rear wheels?

I realize these are wide open questions and you don't have a lot of facts to work from. I did that on purpose. Please help me with the questions I should be asking to get the right combo.

Thanks,
Paul

2010augusta

Paul, welcome to the heartland owners forum.

I can't say much as far as trying to put a car in the garage if the toy haulers, But I know that Mike A (from Heartland) has said on other threads that the trailer are toy hauler not car haulers.

For trucks I highly recommend the F-450s. If you can find a custom hauler from Chariot or Utility bodywerks, both are great and have many nice upgrades for the interiors and the 7-doors beds are great for more secure storage. The duallys are great for extra stability and payload that you will need for a big, heavy toy hauler. Many people find used class 6 or class 8 MDT with a couple 100,000 miles, to tow with and they can be found at really good prices.

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
Check the width and weight on that Miata. Either the ramp door or the garage - I think one only holds 2500lbs. Yes, 14' max garage length. And go for a Freightliner M2. Sweet trucks! :) Other than that, definitely larger than a 1-ton. Dual wheels are a must.

lwmcguir

I have to agree on the TV. Nothing less than a F450. You wont be legal as far as towing weight with a one ton. Way more comfortable with the bigger rigs as well.