SOLVED: 12V power lost when I disconnect shoreline

The batteries are 3 years old but not dead, they show a reading of 12.90. AS long as Im connected all is well but loose 12V when not connected to shoreline.
No 12V when connected to truck 12v either.
Can anyone help?

jbeletti

Re: 12V power lost when I disconnect shoreline

Sounds like the battery is not getting charged from the converter. Check the manual resettable mini-breaker. It's generally colocated with other mini-breakers with red rubber caps on them. One of them will be the manual resettable type with a tiny reset button on one end of it.

check fuses at converter , there are three . mine located in basement left side behind second panel . had a fuse blow there once same problem . then later converter went due to water damage . replaced with used one , still fine . but fuse went and twenty cents fixed that .

danemayer

Based on your problem description, your power converter is working. As Jim mentioned, there's a 12V DC mini-circuit breaker near the batteries that provides the connection between batteries and interior fuse box. If that breaker trips, battery power won't get to the fuse box and on to the lights.

The pictures below should help. The row of breaker is usually covered by a red rubber boot. One breaker is a manual reset with a teeny-tiny button as shown below.

Note that the arrangement of breakers and wires on your coach is likely to be different from the picture.

Attachments

• Buss Bar Example Notated.jpg
    Buss Bar Example Notated.jpg
    477.3 KB · Views: 85
  • circuit breaker reset.jpg
    circuit breaker reset.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 71

Lynn1130

12 volt disconnect switch? Do you have a disconnect switch and could it be off. I am guessing that since you say the batteries are 3 years old that you would know but just in-case

12 volt disconnect switch? Do you have a disconnect switch and could it be off. I am guessing that since you say the batteries are 3 years old that you would know but just in-case
The problem was with the row of circuit breakers, the top one tripped, I hit the reset on the side and all is well. Thanks, Happy Trails

pegmikef

Based on your problem description, your power converter is working. As Jim mentioned, there's a 12V DC mini-circuit breaker near the batteries that provides the connection between batteries and interior fuse box. If that breaker trips, battery power won't get to the fuse box and on to the lights.

The pictures below should help. The row of breaker is usually covered by a red rubber boot. One breaker is a manual reset with a teeny-tiny button as shown below.

Note that the arrangement of breakers and wires on your coach is likely to be different from the picture.

Thanks Dan!

I can't tell you how many people I have helped wit this little tidbit including a couple of SOBs. Things like, jacks won't go down, slides don't work, no 12 volt, and the list goes on. I remember you showing me this several years ago when I had no 12 volt power and batteries metered about 9 Volts. Thanks, you have saved a lot of frustration (and potentially money) for a lot of people with this fix.

Hi All! Brand New to Heartland, and loving my Pioneer 250BH. I am getting ready to make a Huge trip out West from SC. I'm very excited, but also a little nervous. I am really thankful for the wisdom of those of you who have blazed the trail for us!

I believe You mentioned a "fuse panel near the battery" and something about reset buttons.
I know where my Fuse Panel is located (under the pantry, next to the fridge), but I don't know about any other ones... or reset buttons. I do not want to get to New Mexico, and plan to spend a night Boondocking, and have no power!

ALSO, I do have the "smart charging system", right? So, I do not have to worry about overcharging the battery while plugged into Shore Power, etc. (And I will be taking Distilled Water along.)

Will I need to get a Voltmeter, or is there one of those built in somewhere, too?
Thanks in advance!

Grandma_Gotta_Go

danemayer

Hi All! Brand New to Heartland, and loving my Pioneer 250BH. I am getting ready to make a Huge trip out West from SC. I'm very excited, but also a little nervous. I am really thankful for the wisdom of those of you who have blazed the trail for us!

I believe You mentioned a "fuse panel near the battery" and something about reset buttons.
I know where my Fuse Panel is located (under the pantry, next to the fridge), but I don't know about any other ones... or reset buttons. I do not want to get to New Mexico, and plan to spend a night Boondocking, and have no power!

ALSO, I do have the "smart charging system", right? So, I do not have to worry about overcharging the battery while plugged into Shore Power, etc. (And I will be taking Distilled Water along.)

Will I need to get a Voltmeter, or is there one of those built in somewhere, too?
Thanks in advance!

Grandma_Gotta_Go
Hi Grandma,

Post #4 has a couple of pictures. It's not a second fuse panel. It's a row of mini-circuit-breakers like the ones pictured in post #4. One of the breakers has a manual reset. And if it trips for some reason, the classic symptom is that you unplug from shore power and the interior lights go out. But when the breaker trips, the battery will not be getting a charge.

If everything is working you don't need to worry about this. It may never happen. But you might benefit from locating the row of breakers before your trip. They're close to the battery and are usually covered by a red rubber boot.

If your Power Converter has smart charging, it will regulate its output automatically so the battery is charged properly without intervention. It is a good idea to check the water levels in the battery cells every month or two, but it's not unusual to go quite a bit longer without having to add water.

A voltmeter can be pretty handy when you're on the road. No, the trailer doesn't come with one.