Sundance XLT 295BH - Fresh Water Filling

todka32

Hello, I have a question for everyone. When I fill up my fresh water tank the 1st time around everything is fine and dandy; however, when I try to fill it from a 5 gallon tank after camping for a couple of days, water just shoots right out of the hose connected to the tank. I have the water pump turned off, I bleed all the air out of the lines by opening each hot and cold handle. Now I do notice water is still trapped at the beginning of the hose that is connected to the tank, and I don't know for the life of me how to add more water to the tank after filling it up the 1st time around. I am new to this boon-docking so please bear with me.

Thank you for your help.

danemayer

Hi todka32,

It sounds like you have a gravity fill fresh water tank fill spout (not the 4-way Anderson Valve). There should be a vent hole next to the fill entry. There's a good chance that the problem is you have to clear water out of the vent hose. Take a short piece of tubing or short hose, cover the vent hole and blow into the tubing to force water out of the vent hose.

todka32

Yes that is correct it is gravity feed. Do you know why water would be trapped? Was I filling up the tank to quickly as an example?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Yes that is correct it is gravity feed. Do you know why water would be trapped? Was I filling up the tank to quickly as an example?
It happens to my Bighorn every now and then. I carry a short piece of hose to blow the vent hose out as Dan has suggested.
It seems that when they routed the vent hose from the tank the hose has a dip in it.
The hose should not have a dip where the water can accumulate.
I tied my hose up to eliminate the dip. It is now lower than the vent but higher than the tank.

Peace
Dave

danemayer

Do you think this would eliminate my issue? https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Fresh-Water/Valterra/A01-0035VP.html#exp-productdetails=.photos

My father in law had a home depot funnel with the flexible spout that covered the whole hole and we were able to fill it up after that.

If you're using water from a faucet, that's under pressure, it would force water into the tank. So yes, it would help. BUT, when forcing water into the fresh tank, it's possible to overfill it and possibly damage the tank. Having an inexpensive meter like this will help avoid overfilling. The meters, while inexpensive, can also be somewhat inaccurate. So you need to be careful.

If you're adding water from a jug, it may not help at all.

Bogie

I had the same problem with my 289TS. On mine, there is no connection to the air vent hole. I believe the vent is unnecessary because there are two overflow holes on the fresh tank (one on each side) that double as vents. Also, in my case, the fresh water fill hose makes a 90 degree turn just inside the fill spout. I use a short (2 foot) piece of garden hose with the end cut off. It can be gently threaded past the 90 turn. Then you can attach that to your regular hose. No back flow any more.

Fill until water comes out the overflow. You do have to keep an eye on it and shut it off as soon as it's full.