Tank Monitors in Winter

Garypowell

Before I get to my question I'll state first that I understand that tank monitors have a lot of problems. But mine generally work fairly well. Black and #1 tank are always accurate and when I drain them they go down to empty on the monitor.

The #2 tank (from Kitchen) has always been flaky. I assume from the kitchen waste that inadvertently gets into the tank. When I clean it I can get it down to only two lights on.

My question is that since I rarely use the rig in cold weather I am seeing something interesting in my tank monitors. In Nashville for a few weeks and it has turned cold. All of my tank monitors have gone to one light on which is empty. My guess from the time I have been here is that each tank is at least 1/2 - 3/4 full.

What gives? Does the cold weather (26 Deg right now) have a special effect on the monitors? I know several go to Colorado in the winter, etc and might have seen this.

Thanks,

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
In our cold camping experience this hasn't happened to us. Ours occasionally have more lights light up than usual.

Just a cute pic, here's one for Dec 25th. Merry Christmas!

9df4eaa91704365eb0331f722c0f8454.jpg

(The 2/3 light on black tank stays lit all the time!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

GOTTOYS

Probably the most worthless part on the trailer. Leave the gray tanks open when hooked up, black tank closed. Dump the black tank when the toilet "burps" when you flush it. That will tell you that it's time to dump. I haven't looked at mine since i bought it. No idea if they work..don't care....Don

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
I rarely even look at my holding tank monitors, or worry where the lights are. Like others, mine are never accurate.

I like to travel with about 1/3 tank of fresh water, so sometimes I will validate that by looking at the panel light.

When your holding tanks are full, you will know it. The black tank will burp and they gray tanks will make a gurgling sound at the drains. Trace

TXTiger

I also never look at mine either. I dump once a week and that seems to be fine for me. I do leave the gray tanks closed. That way when I dump and flush the black tank first the soapy water in the gray that gets dumped after the black if finished washes out the stinky slinky.