Think I've got a tire problem!

olcoon

We've got a 2011 Elk Ridge 27RLSS. We've put right at 1,400 miles on it. That's not counting the delivery trip miles from Elkhart to Kansas City, Mo. Today I was putting the tire covers back on after our last trip, and noticed a dip in the sidewall running from the tread to the wheel, and I also noticed a dip in the side wall running around the tire, almost like a line running through the lettering on the tire. I first noticed it on the curbside tires, then checked the other side, and they've got the same problem. The tires are the stock Power King Towmasters, which no doubt are made in China. What do you tire experts think?

Attachments

• 100_0945.jpg
    100_0945.jpg
    767.3 KB · Views: 45
  • 100_0946.jpg
    100_0946.jpg
    665.3 KB · Views: 40
  • 100_0947.jpg
    100_0947.jpg
    731.3 KB · Views: 51
  • 100_0948.jpg
    100_0948.jpg
    513.8 KB · Views: 39

jnbhobe

Go check your truck tires and your car tires and everyone elses tires. Those lines are in all tires more pronounced in some but in all of them They are from the molding and seeming process I think. run your hands over the side walls and you will feel them. nothing to worry about unless their cracking or something weird

olcoon

Thanks for the vote of assurance! I've noticed them before on other vehicles, and didn't pay too much attention to them. This is our first RV, and I've been learning a lot from this forum (mainly this one) and a couple of others. After reading all the threads on tires, I'm kind of running scared, or at least a little paranoid about them. I'm surprised I haven't seen this before, guess the light was just right today, or maybe I was looking harder. Now I can stay in the AC, and not sweat the load about having to buy new tires!

Also thanks to everyone on here for the information I've gotten since joining in Feb.. I've learned a lot, I'm thinking I'm somewhere in the Kindergarten to 2nd grade in RV School!

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
The biggest issue on the tires is inflation and heat. Be sure they are properly inflated as an under inflated tire will heat up and fail. Many of us have had issues with China made tires but that is not to say all Chinese made tires will fail. If I were in your shoes I would closely monitor the tires and replace them with a better grade tire at the first opportunity. It seems mileage has nothing to do with the failure (I had 2 blowouts in the first 3000 miles.) A good tire pressure monitoring system such as the Pressure Pro or Doran systems are an excellent investment. Also a IR thermometer (you can find one at Radio Shack) is also good to have. The IR thermometer allows you to monitor the tire temperature when you take a break. Then if you find a tire out of the normal range you can take care of it before it blows.