Trailer Length

Codive

So I was talking with a friend who has a 43 foot trailer and he said one of the challenges he deals with is finding space is big enough for his trailer. We have not purchased our trailer yet, but we were looking at the cyclone 4250. So I'm wondering do I look at a shorter trailer and plan on carrying my motorcycle in the bed of the truck, or do we stick with the plan of the 4250 and learn to route plan to campgrounds with larger spaces?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
My Newport is right close to 43' so this is a concern we have when we go camping. I have found that I cannot fit in a lot of state parks and Corps of Engineer campgrounds, but I always call to verify if it is specific area I want to stay in. As an example, we wanted to camp for a week in the Land Between the Lakes area of Kentucky and the state park where we were looking listed their campsites as maximum of 36 feet. When I called and talked with the park ranger I was told one site could accomodate my 43 foot rig if I didn't mind the back end of the camper hanging out over the down slope of a hill. We reservered that site and had absolutly no problems camping there.

Usually, though, I look for campgrounds that say they are "big rig friendly" or I call and verify they have sites that will fit my long length. This past summer we went for 3 months, 27 states and over 13,000 miles staying in campgrounds the entire time and did not have a problem. A little forethought and planning is always a blessing. My rig has 3 slides and I found that width of the site was usually a problem more than depth. You'll have that problem whether your rig is 43' or 34 '.

Get out there and enjoy!

jbeletti

Hi Codive,

Like Keith, we've had NO issue finding campgrounds to fit our near-43' 5th wheel. I do know of a few CGs (state parks mostly) around the country I've stayed in with a small travel trailer that I know our current 5th wheel would not fit in. In fact, sometimes, the issue is the trees being so close to very curvy roads where I would never be able to navigate.

You just have to check them out in advance. I like to use www.rvparkreviews.com in selecting a park, then when I call to make reservations, I ask about the roads and the sites they want to put me in.

In over 13 years of RVing, I've yet to "arrive" at a campground and not fit on a site.

Short story... Months ago, I reserved a specific site at a campground. A site I've stayed in before at a CG I've stayed at many times. Fast forward many months to my reservation time, I get there and the site they have me on is NOT the one I asked for months prior. Turns out they had a chance to rent that site out to a monthly. Okay, I get that from a business perspective but where was my courtesy call? But that's not my point.

My point is, they chose a site for me and the roads in this CG are "tight" as are their sites. I asked them for a list of available sites and I walked them all. I did not like the site they chose but by walking the other sites, I found the Goldilocks site for me (just right :).

So - never be afraid to ask to walk the site a CG wants to put you in as well as the others that are available. If they're real nice, they'll take you to the sites in their golf cart :)

Jim-Lynn

Codive;

We have done a lot of traveling in our 4200, with out an issue. A lot of the time we call ahead, to let them know we are a total of 63' so we have no surprise when we get there. Have not had an issue and love the extra space. Our rig has the side patio, we have had a few sites that are tight, if we are just overnight, we do not use the patio.
You will not have a issue.

Abear79

I do not have the miles on our coach as the rvers below, but so for we had more problems with width and height rather length. But we have a 41ft with 5 slides at 13' 3'' on our coach. We stayed at state parks in Texas, Louisiana, Alabama. The tightest spots for us has been older campgrounds, but made it work. We always carry a landscaper pole saw for just in case.

Codive

Codive;

We have done a lot of traveling in our 4200, with out an issue. A lot of the time we call ahead, to let them know we are a total of 63' so we have no surprise when we get there. Have not had an issue and love the extra space. Our rig has the side patio, we have had a few sites that are tight, if we are just overnight, we do not use the patio.
You will not have a issue.

Thanks everyone for the feed back. Jim-Lynn that was going to be my next question with 4250. My wife fell in love with the patio of the 4200. Then the 4250 came out and she like the "flow" better.

Jim-Lynn

Thanks everyone for the feed back. Jim-Lynn that was going to be my next question with 4250. My wife fell in love with the patio of the 4200. Then the 4250 came out and she like the "flow" better.

She is right - the 4250 is really nice.