Why no discussion

RickL

It has been reported on Josh the RV nerd and RV Miles that the Landmark line has been discontinued. I don’t live here on this forum nearly as much as I used to, but I find no mention of whether these are true or being misrepresente. Why do I ask, because I’m a Landmark owner and I know once a line has been discontinued for the most part it loses additional resale value.

if it is true that Heartland is discontinuing the Landmark brand, it harkens me back to a statement when I worked that said, don’t forget who got you to the dance. Unless my understanding is incorrect, it was Landmark that made Heartland. If they feel that Landmark has run its course, it just shows how out of touch management is/was! In my opinion they made some poor management choices, first was to move away from sub 40’ 5th wheels. Being a full timer I can’t tell you how often I’ve heard people who start sub 40’ move to the monster units 42-44’, only to regret having to move it around. Second, I feel Heartland/Landmark lost their way as to quality. Build your entry level units cheaply, but keep quality and workmanship in your top of the line. When GM or Ford realized they couldn’t support all their lines anymore, you didn’t see them drop Cadillac or Lincoln lines. I have documented in the past after doing a plant tour, corporate had no quality control during the build process. The day I was in the plant it was filthy. There is such a thing as clean dirt (the debris that builds up during that days production) and there is dirty dirt (a continued pile of trash from days/weeks of production kicked aside for “someone” else to clean). Well let me tell you, the plant was nothing but dirty dirt. It was appalling.

Heartland is missing the mark building a quality control facility for units AFTER they are built. Edward Demings (he is the one that put Japan on the map) stressed the time to build quality is during the production process, not afterwards. If things are done correctly during the build you don’t need an army of quality control people. I know this seems off base, but if the Landmark line must die, then someone has to do an in depth analysis as to why it failed. It’s not that the market moved away from a higher end unit, it’s that the line moved away from its intended market.

Last edited:

sengli

As a former landmark owner, it sure looks as if they have quit making them. The website states they are all dealer stock only. Honestly though, the MSRPs of the last few years ,was pushing almost $200k for these units. That pricing was just insane. There is a lot of competition in that market price point. And obvious choices I personally would pick over the landmark like a DRV. Which by the way heartland now owns. Another thing I have seen, is that price point doesnt guarantee better quality.

Plus like you said, I dont want a 42 or 44 foot long coach ever again. Did it once with my landmark, and it was an awesome rig, till I had to tow it around.

Last edited:

david-steph2018

Same thing with the Road Warrior line. The website shows "dealer only stock". When they came out with the 2020 model and had it at the National Rally, I heard allot of wives complain about changes. One of the changes they did not like was the swing out seats.

But the price point on these went up as well, MSRP was showing near $170K over the last 2 years or so. From the time we purchased our rig in October 2017 to those today, the MSRP has went up $70,000. Granted, the Road Warrior was not as big sale as compared to the Cyclone.

LMelvin

Administrator
It has been reported on Josh the RV nerd and RV Miles that the Landmark line has been discontinued. I don’t live here on this forum nearly as much as I used to, but I find no mention of whether these are true or being misrepresente. Why do I ask, because I’m a Landmark owner and I know once a line has been discontinued for the most part it loses additional resale value.

if it is true that Heartland is discontinuing the Landmark brand, it harkens me back to a statement when I worked that said, don’t forget who got you to the dance. Unless my understanding is incorrect, it was Landmark that made Heartland. If they feel that Landmark has run its course, it just shows how out of touch management is/was! In my opinion they made some poor management choices, first was to move away from sub 40’ 5th wheels. Being a full timer I can’t tell you how often I’ve heard people who start sub 40’ move to the monster units 42-44’, only to regret having to move it around. Second, I feel Heartland/Landmark lost their way as to quality. Build your entry level units cheaply, but keep quality and workmanship in your top of the line. When GM or Ford realized they couldn’t support all their lines anymore, you didn’t see them drop Cadillac or Lincoln lines. I have documented in the past after doing a plant tour, corporate had no quality control during the build process. The day I was in the plant it was filthy. There is such a thing as clean dirt (the debris that builds up during that days production) and there is dirty dirt (a continued pile of trash from days/weeks of production kicked aside for “someone” else to clean). Well let me tell you, the plant was nothing but dirty dirt. It was appalling.

Heartland is missing the mark building a quality control facility for units AFTER they are built. Edward Demings (he is the one that put Japan on the map) stressed the time to build quality is during the production process, not afterwards. If things are done correctly during the build you don’t need an army of quality control people. I know this seems off base, but if the Landmark line must die, then someone has to do an in depth analysis as to why it failed. It’s not that the market moved away from a higher end unit, it’s that the line moved away from its intended market.
Thank you for reaching out and commenting about Landmark. We understand how important this product has been to our valued customers, and we want to be transparent about the changes it's undergoing.

Due to the current market dynamics, including dealer consolidation, we've made the difficult decision to temporarily pause the production of Landmark. This decision was not made lightly, but with a strategic view towards ensuring the long-term viability and success of the product. Our team is working diligently to navigate these challenges and to relaunch Landmark as soon as the circumstances allow us to do so.

We deeply appreciate your patience and support during this time. Please stay connected with us on our social media channels, this forum and website for updates. We're committed to keeping our community informed and to returning with an even better Landmark experience in the future.

Thank you for your understanding and loyalty. If you have any further questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to reach out.

NYSUPstater

Thank you for reaching out and commenting about Landmark. We understand how important this product has been to our valued customers, and we want to be transparent about the changes it's undergoing.

Due to the current market dynamics, including dealer consolidation, we've made the difficult decision to temporarily pause the production of Landmark. This decision was not made lightly, but with a strategic view towards ensuring the long-term viability and success of the product. Our team is working diligently to navigate these challenges and to relaunch Landmark as soon as the circumstances allow us to do so.

We deeply appreciate your patience and support during this time. Please stay connected with us on our social media channels, this forum and website for updates. We're committed to keeping our community informed and to returning with an even better Landmark experience in the future.

Thank you for your understanding and loyalty. If you have any further questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to reach out.
Dear Sir,

Why are there no or very few and far between Heartland dealers that carry Big Horn, Big Country lines? Here in Central NY, there are hardly any dealers that do.

Thank you for your reply to main question.

LMelvin

Administrator
Dear Sir,

Why are there no or very few and far between Heartland dealers that carry Big Horn, Big Country lines? Here in Central NY, there are hardly any dealers that do.

Thank you for your reply to main question.
We understand and share your concerns regarding the availability of the Big Horn and Big Country lines in Central NY. Like many industries, the recreational vehicle market is currently experiencing significant shifts, impacting both manufacturers and dealers alike. This has been particularly evident in the challenges faced by our Landmark product line. The situation with the Big Horn and Big Country is similarly influenced by the broader trends affecting our industry, including dealer consolidation. These changes have made it increasingly difficult for certain dealers to carry a wide range of our products, leading to the limited availability you've observed.

Please know this decision was made with a strategic perspective aimed at ensuring the long-term viability and success of our products. Our team is actively working to navigate these challenges, with a goal to not only keep production thriving but also strengthen our dealer relationships across the board. This includes efforts to expand the availability of our Big Horn and Big Country lines in regions like Central NY, where we know there is a passionate and dedicated community of RV enthusiasts.

We deeply appreciate your patience and support as we work through these complex circumstances. Your support is invaluable to us, and we look forward to returning with an enhanced experience for both the Big Horn and Big Country lines, alongside Landmark.

mikenjulie

My wife and I were looking to buy a new Landmark this year to replace our 2009 Pinehurst. We were sad to see no new Landmarks were available. We looked for Bighorns but we weren't impressed. We had no choice but to buy another brand. We miss all the storage our Pinehurst had but it was time to move on.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I hate that Heartland dropped the Landmark brand, the line that established them in the marketplace.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
I heard that HL was re-tooling the line so I wonder how it affects the other units made in that building

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I understand that they bought a new building for Landmark but that was awhile ago. Who knows what's gonna happen.....