Popping noise - I've had it checked by dealer

marvmarcy

I know this is an old topic and I've looked at previous posts on it. However it is getting worse. I was at the dealer last week, and they found nothing wrong. The problem is worse just after sunrise and sunset, so appears to be related to temperature change. Although it makes noises 24/7, whenever anyone moves in the fiver and randomly every hour or so, it pops every few minutes when temps change more quickly. We're currently parked on level hard pack (dirt/gravel mix), but it happens on concrete or soft dirt with boards under the pads, and whether the site is level or sloping. The stabilizer is always down solidly.

Does anyone else experience this much noise? It is getting annoying, especially all through the night.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Do you have the hydraulic leveling system?
This seems to be an issue with some.

Peace
Dave

jnbhobe

Do you have 6 point level-up? Try putting 3/4 plywood or them plastic leveling blocks under the feet. I see you have wood under the legs , I still got it with 2X8 under mine. The plastic lets them move easier.

marvmarcy

I have the four-point Lippert hydraulic system and use the auto level when on level ground. I'll try the Linx Levelers. I've had some of them squash under load, so was reluctant to use them. Thanks for your replies!

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
In our case we needed to lessen the stroke of the pistons on the off-door side. We use six by six's under the legs on that side and it stays perfectly quiet...without them it pops constantly....

2psnapod1

Texas-South Chapter Leader-Retired
I know this is an old topic and I've looked at previous posts on it. However it is getting worse. I was at the dealer last week, and they found nothing wrong. The problem is worse just after sunrise and sunset, so appears to be related to temperature change. Although it makes noises 24/7, whenever anyone moves in the fiver and randomly every hour or so, it pops every few minutes when temps change more quickly. We're currently parked on level hard pack (dirt/gravel mix), but it happens on concrete or soft dirt with boards under the pads, and whether the site is level or sloping. The stabilizer is always down solidly.

Does anyone else experience this much noise? It is getting annoying, especially all through the night.

When I first read this I thought that I had posted and forgot! This is EXACTLY what ours has been doing since early this year - never had it do that before that time. While we were at home base we were on gravel with jack pads beneath the jacks. We moved a few days ago and are on a concrete pad and are not using the jack pads. Either case the 'popping' still happens - although I think it's doing it more now. It does it on it's own or when there is movement inside the coach (but not always).

I went as far as to measure the jacks yesterday and today and there hasn't been any change...gonna keep measuring just in case.

Yes it is getting annoying - sometimes it's so loud at night that it wakes me out of a sound sleep!

Have you had any resolution?

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
After trying without success all of the above "fixes" for the popping I had emailed Lippert about 2 weeks.

I explained the problem and that it is indeed temperature (or at least direct sun ) related. They are going to replace the front jacks. Only down side is they will not let me do it myself. I have to go to a repair center. GRRR!

They would not say what was wrong with the jacks -if anything- or if they have redesigned the front jacks. But it sure was easy to resolve it once I found the right person to talk with.

No idea if this will correct the problem but I am sure hoping so. getting tired of the unit popping constantly.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
After trying without success all of the above "fixes" for the popping I had emailed Lippert about 2 weeks.

I explained the problem and that it is indeed temperature (or at least direct sun ) related. They are going to replace the front jacks. Only down side is they will not let me do it myself. I have to go to a repair center. GRRR!

They would not say what was wrong with the jacks -if anything- or if they have redesigned the front jacks. But it sure was easy to resolve it once I found the right person to talk with.

No idea if this will correct the problem but I am sure hoping so. getting tired of the unit popping constantly.

Missing your Ground Control system yet??;)

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Missing your Ground Control system yet??;)

Yup, from day 1 John but feel free to rub it in a little more. crying smiley.jpg

Seriously I do miss it. I think the Ground Control is a much better thought out system and a lot less complicated than Levelup. Too many things can go wrong with Levelup and there is no redundancy built into it.

donr827

Did they say what the difference is between the new front jacks and the old front jacks so that the popping noise would not occur?
Don

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Did they say what the difference is between the new front jacks and the old front jacks so that the popping noise would not occur?
Don

I'll make a guess that they will reduce the angle that the front jacks are mounted at. I wonder if it could be done using big flat washers without losing structural integrity. Or at least test that theory with flat washers.

archbarb

Yup, from day 1 John but feel free to rub it in a little more. View attachment 18861

Seriously I do miss it. I think the Ground Control is a much better thought out system and a lot less complicated than Levelup. Too many things can go wrong with Levelup and there is no redundancy built into it.

That's okay Larry. Anytime you want to visit with them just let me know:D. They are being taken good care of!!!!!

Archie

porthole

Retired
I'll make a guess that they will reduce the angle that the front jacks are mounted at. I wonder if it could be done using big flat washers without losing structural integrity. Or at least test that theory with flat washers.

You could be on to something there Ray, I've never had the "pop" and our front jacks are vertical. They are also the length as the electrics they took out. I've seen some front jacks that are fairly short because of the drop frame. Maybe the length and angle work together.

But it sure was easy to resolve it once I found the right person to talk with.

So who was it?

I know this has absolutely nothing to do with it, but for the first year after I built my deck (plastic 2x6's) it popped so much throughout the day it sounded like a bowl of rice krisppies

kakampers

"You could be on to something there Ray, I've never had the "pop" and our front jacks are vertical. They are also the length as the electrics they took out. I've seen some front jacks that are fairly short because of the drop frame. Maybe the length and angle work together."

As I said earlier....shorten the length of stroke on the piston by placing larger wood blocks under each leg that is "popping"...bet you'd be surprised how quiet it gets!!

marvmarcy

Based on all your comments, I placed three 2x12x12 boards topped with a Linx Leveler plastic pad under each hydraulic jack. The electric stabilizers are now resting on Linx Levelers too. While it reduced how frequently it pops, it certainly still pops alot. It seems ridiculous to have to band-aid a system to make it work right.

kakampers

Based on all your comments, I placed three 2x12x12 boards topped with a Linx Leveler plastic pad under each hydraulic jack. The electric stabilizers are now resting on Linx Levelers too. While it reduced how frequently it pops, it certainly still pops alot. It seems ridiculous to have to band-aid a system to make it work right.

We use solid 6x6 blocks and ours stays completely quiet....and we only do this on the two level-up legs surrounding the tires on the off-door side.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
To Marv and Connie and all that have the four jack leveling system, I talked to Bob Tiedge (sp?) about both this popping problem and my juge problem of the leveling brains having lost their mind. He said that both problems are being worked on and he hopes to have a solution soon.

Toy1Ton

Toy 1 Ton
I thought one of the benfit of haveing level up was not having to haul all that lumber and having to do any blocking thats like going back to the old way of leveling only now it cost 2-4000 dallors more