Help with rear access

TXgearhead

2018 Oshkosh with Insignia fridge. We are expecting low temp Thursday morning of 28F. Thought I had better winterize the ice maker line. My plan was to turn the water off to the ice maker at the under sink valve then disconnect the tubing going in the relay to allow the tubing to drain. The tubing nut is behind a sheet metal cover. I loosened the 2 screws I could see but the cover wouldn't move. Of course there is another screw that has no way to get a screwdriver on it. It's 10-12 inches forward of the others between the fridge and the camper wall. All I'm able to accomplish is turning the water off under the sink. We are using our freshwater tank and the pump because either the Andersen valve is leaking or the pump check valve has failed. My only option is to just roll with it and if the tubing fails I will replace it when I get home. Only way I see to remove the rear cover is to use a long chisel and knock the head of the hidden screw off. The cover has tabs that secure the bottom and the 3 screws across the top. Two screws should hold it. Ideas are welcome.

RickL

2018 Oshkosh with Insignia fridge. We are expecting low temp Thursday morning of 28F. Thought I had better winterize the ice maker line. My plan was to turn the water off to the ice maker at the under sink valve then disconnect the tubing going in the relay to allow the tubing to drain. The tubing nut is behind a sheet metal cover. I loosened the 2 screws I could see but the cover wouldn't move. Of course there is another screw that has no way to get a screwdriver on it. It's 10-12 inches forward of the others between the fridge and the camper wall. All I'm able to accomplish is turning the water off under the sink. We are using our freshwater tank and the pump because either the Andersen valve is leaking or the pump check valve has failed. My only option is to just roll with it and if the tubing fails I will replace it when I get home. Only way I see to remove the rear cover is to use a long chisel and knock the head of the hidden screw off. The cover has tabs that secure the bottom and the 3 screws across the top. Two screws should hold it. Ideas are welcome.

On my Oshkosh the low spot is underneath the slide approximately in the oven area. Also I found another drain valve behind the bottom drawer next to the oven.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Agree with Dan. Use compressed air to blow out the air line, then close the valve to the fridge. On my Samsung there is a switch on the ice maker to cycle the ice maker while the air is going through it. That gets all the water out of the line. Don’t know if your Insignia has that feature, but the fridge manual should show how to use it if one is there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TXgearhead

I'd recommend you follow the procedure in the Residential Refrigerator Guide and use compressed air to blow out the water all the way through the refrigerator.

ehh...I'm a thousand miles from home with an air compressor that only has a Schraeder valve attachment. Lesson learned there.
I'll look for the low point drain.
May not be as pressing an issue as at first. Forecast seems to change frequently. Not as cold as expected in this mornings forecast.

TXgearhead

Dug around some more. I found a drain elbow under the kitchen slide. I pulled the bottom drawer of the pantry out and saw the tubing but no valve. Also looked behind the bottom drawer next to fridge and saw the tubing but no valve. That open elbow under the slide has to have a valve somewhere. Not sure if I want to tear things apart to find it.
I'm thinking for now I'll just roll with it with the valve under the sink closed.
When I get home I'll try the compressed air. Also get the fitting for my "carry" compressor to use the blow out fitting.
Second thought...I need to re-read the procedure to winterize the fridge. That air quick connect to 1/2" pipe thread adapter isn't going to work on the 1/4" tubing. Maybe a rubber ended trigger valve, or better, a reducer.
edit add....found the drain valve, fairly aft of where the mystery elbow is. I opened the drain valve and got 3-4 drops out. The line is probably air locked with no vent. If the forecast changes again for colder I'll work this some more.
Thanks for all y'all's help. Great as usual.

RickL

Dug around some more. I found a drain elbow under the kitchen slide. I pulled the bottom drawer of the pantry out and saw the tubing but no valve. Also looked behind the bottom drawer next to fridge and saw the tubing but no valve. That open elbow under the slide has to have a valve somewhere. Not sure if I want to tear things apart to find it.
I'm thinking for now I'll just roll with it with the valve under the sink closed.
When I get home I'll try the compressed air. Also get the fitting for my "carry" compressor to use the blow out fitting.
Second thought...I need to re-read the procedure to winterize get the fridge. That air quick connect to 1/2" pipe thread adapter isn't going to work on the 1/4" tubing. Maybe a rubber ended trigger valve.

Did you pull the drawer under the oven out and look there? Yours may not have a valve but I know mine did as it froze and came apart and created a leak when I turned on the valve under the sink. Luckily I was listening so the flood was minimal. I eliminated the valve and now if I need to drain the ice maker line I pull apart the coupling I installed in place of the valve under the slide outside.

TXgearhead

Yeah I pulled it completely out. Nothin back there.
I did see a coupling under the slide and thought I could use that like you mentioned.

danemayer

Usually the ice maker water line is teed into the cold water going to the kitchen faucet. The tee and cutoff valve are sometimes under the drawers in the kitchen island.

TXgearhead

Usually the ice maker water line is teed into the cold water going to the kitchen faucet. The tee and cutoff valve are sometimes under the drawers in the kitchen island.
Yes I found that no problem. It's right under the kitchen sink on mine.

TXgearhead

I think I'm good to go. I opened the drain vale under the slide. Amazingly it looks just like the one pictured in the owner manual. I disconnected the tubing under the sink and told the wife to watch the drain valve. She said about 4 tablespoons of water came out.
Headed to Charlotte in the morning. " Go fast, turn left"

uncledon

Her chauffeur
Not that it will do you much good this time, but if you are not winterizing for the season, you could do what I did and run a heat tape (I bought mine at Lowes) along the tubing that is exposed. On my 3875 FB Bighorn it was under the large slide for the kitchen. I first covered the 1/4" tubing with automotive cable sheath, the black corrugated plastic stuff. I then ran the 6 foot of heat tape along the sheath and then wrapped it all with plumbers pipe insulation.

It does required you to plug into 110v AC power, but for short term it's much easier than blowing out the lines in my opinion. Has,worked well for me for the last couple of years. FWIW.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk