Restringing a Pleated Blind - A Step-by-Step Guide

sirjin

Ok after some searching on the internet, I couldn't find a 'how to' in restringing your rv pleated blind, so here goes a step by step procedure. We've camped so much this past year, that I'm hoping that the reason the string broke is because of the wear and tear of the blind and not just a cheap product that was installed.

In these two pictures, you will notice the string on the left side has broken off and the bottom right side of the blind the string I had cut off so I can find a string at a local craft or fabric store, which I found the restring needle at a craft store and the string at the fabric store. It's probably a good idea to bring a sample of the broken string with you to the store for comparison.
DSCN2389.JPG DSCN2390.JPG

These two pictures shows the metal bracket that holds the top portion of the blind in tact. I used a flathead screwdriver to pop them away from the clip that holds it in place. Make sure you notice how the blind comes off and you may want to reinsert it to make sure you know how to do it after you restring the blind.
DSCN2391.JPG DSCN2394.JPG

This is what the brackets looked like after I took the blind off.
DSCN2396.JPG DSCN2397.JPG

Tools need for this repair is a flathead screwdriver, pair of scissors and a phillips screwdriver for the cord retainer at the bottom.
DSCN2398.JPG

The end caps come off next from the top and bottom portion of the blind. I would take off just either the left or right side, just so you can slide the cover off.
DSCN2410.JPG DSCN2411.JPG

This is what it looks like after I slide the top cover off. Cut the strings off that attaches to both sides of the spring. It may have a clasp at the end, like I had in this second picture, I just used the scissors to cut on both sides of the clasp so I can pull the string off.
DSCN2413.JPG DSCN2417.JPG

Now taking the bottom portion off, similar to the top portion. Use a screwdriver to pop one end of the bottom cover. Now pull off all the damaged string off.
DSCN2418.JPG DSCN2420.JPG

Now I used the needle that I bought at the craft store and restrung the left side of the blind. Then I tied a knot to one end of the spring. I used a fishermans knot. I'm sure a double knot will work as well. Just make sure it's secure. VERY IMPORTANT: Make sure you have more than enough string to restring the blind, I used more than double the height of what the blind needs, because the string will have to travel in the railings on both top and bottom portion of the blind. Don't just use the total height of the blind to restring.
DSCN2421.JPG DSCN2423.JPG

Do the same thing on the other side. And tie a knot on the other end of the spring.
DSCN2426.JPG

This picture shows where the string goes at the bottom of the rail, they need to cross each other and exit on the oppisite side of where it was restrung, VERY IMPORTANT. In this picture below, the red color is on the left side of the string and runs along the bottom and exits the right side of the blind of the end cap, see picture. The blue color is on the right side of the string and runs along the bottm and exits the left side of the end cap.
DSCN2424-1.jpg

Now after the string has been restrung, now all you have to do is to slide all the covers back on and put the two end caps that you dissasembled back into place. Sorry, I didn't take any more pictures from here except the end product. I just got caught in the moment after I noticed how easy this turned out.

I had to take this cord retainer off to tie the knot and have it hidden behind the retainer and wall. This part was tricky, because I had to make sure the cord was tight enough for the shade, so it doesn't just loosely fall down. You also have to make sure they are evenly tight. You tighten one side too much and the blind will not be level.
DSCN2430.JPG
At this point, you should have enough string at the bottom to tie your knots, once you have the string tight and the blind looks and feels well, then just cut off the excess string and your done.
DSCN2428.JPG

Hope this helps out anyone that would like to do their own restringing of their pleated shade in their RV.

Good luck.

Attachments

• DSCN2411.jpg
    DSCN2411.jpg
    861.3 KB · Views: 119
  • DSCN2413.jpg
    DSCN2413.jpg
    851 KB · Views: 85
  • DSCN2417.jpg
    DSCN2417.jpg
    881.1 KB · Views: 77
  • DSCN2418.jpg
    DSCN2418.jpg
    825 KB · Views: 65
  • DSCN2420.jpg
    DSCN2420.jpg
    840.1 KB · Views: 66
  • DSCN2421.jpg
    DSCN2421.jpg
    837 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:

TedS

Re: Restringing pleated blind

Thanks for taking the time to create this how-to piece. I have wondered what was inside these shades.
This should go into a sticky post reference.

jimtoo

Hi sirjin, Thanks for the great "How To" on the blind. I have seen some others, but I think yours is best.

Maybe Jim B will add it to the Wiki or put a sticky on it.

Jim M

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired

Great job and thanks for the step by step guide.

sirjin

No problem. I'm hoping that this will help others repair their own blinds, if need be.

Birchwood

After 2 years of living full time in our Landmark I have replaced the cord in all of them.Getting used to
it now but its nice you took the time to inform others of the restringing procedure.

netters1

Great Job on the instructions!! We are in Goshen, IN right now having some work done on our Augusta and were looking sor someone to re-string our blinds for us. Mac took one of the blinds off and there was a label on it "SWC" (Specialty Window Coverings) here in Goshen so Mac called them. If your blinds are from them(and most of Heartlands are) they will re-string them for FREE if you are in the area, or will do it free if you ship them to them and you only have to pay shipping back to you. They did our back window, and 3 of the slide windows in less than 2 hours. Very, very nice people!!

Bobby A

Great Job on the instructions!! We are in Goshen, IN right now having some work done on our Augusta and were looking sor someone to re-string our blinds for us. Mac took one of the blinds off and there was a label on it "SWC" (Specialty Window Coverings) here in Goshen so Mac called them. If your blinds are from them(and most of Heartlands are) they will re-string them for FREE if you are in the area, or will do it free if you ship them to them and you only have to pay shipping back to you. They did our back window, and 3 of the slide windows in less than 2 hours. Very, very nice people!!

Can someone point me to the diragram/or pics that show how to do just the night shade in the bedroom ? Mine broke last night, its not both fabrics night/day, its just the night shade, I'm sure the method is somewhat different.
Thank you

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member

Can someone point me to the diragram/or pics that show how to do just the night shade in the bedroom ? Mine broke last night, its not both fabrics night/day, its just the night shade, I'm sure the method is somewhat different.
Thank you

Bobby, there is an instruction sheet in the Tools/Owners Manuals/Interior section. I also have saved the attachments from previous days. Only had to do it once for a Day/Night shade that broke before replacing them with vertical blinds. Just doing the single bedroom shade should not be much different since there is only one cord, not two.

Attachments

• Day-Night Blinds - Re-Stringing[1].pdf
    138.2 KB · Views: 24
  • DayNight Shade 1.pdf
    103.5 KB · Views: 10
  • DayNight Shade 2.pdf
    176.8 KB · Views: 28
  • DayNight Shade 3.pdf
    101.1 KB · Views: 15
  • DayNight Shade 4.pdf
    74.7 KB · Views: 26

Bobby A

Bobby, there is an instruction sheet in the Tools/Owners Manuals/Interior section. I also have saved the attachments from previous days. Only had to do it once for a Day/Night shade that broke before replacing them with vertical blinds. Just doing the single bedroom shade should not be much different since there is only one cord, not two.

Thanks John, I should of mentioned it is the small shade next to the bed and it only has 2 strings going down the sides not 4 or 5 like the other ones.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member

Thanks John, I should of mentioned it is the small shade next to the bed and it only has 2 strings going down the sides not 4 or 5 like the other ones.

Yup, same as mine. The bedroom shades and the one over the desk are still the originals. Too small to bother with Levelor verticals.