Microwave excessive condensaton

Has anyone had an excessive condensation problem in the Sylvania microwaves that are being used in the Bighorns? I experienced this condensation problem last fall the first time I took the rv out. Almost anything placed in the microwave caused this buildup problem. It seems like the exhaust fan does not have enough CFM to keep the cavity free of moisture. No other microwaves that I have had have experienced this problem. I had to send my Bighorn back to the factory to have a bed change. While at the factory they replaced the microwave with a new unit. On the first time out this season I experienced the same problem with the new unit. Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem before I look to have more done about it?

BigBlue

BigBlue
Hmm, don't know what to say. All I can suggest is to examine the ventalation system on the microwave. On ours a fan starts when we start the microwave and draws the moisture out. Maybe there's something plugging up the vents like the shipping foam they put over equipment.

unitedman

We have now had 3 microwaves in our Big Horn, all having the same problem. The last one we tried putting it in without the trim and using it and it worked fine until we put the trim back on. With the trim back on, it leaks again. Haven't figured out a way to secure it while traveling if we leave the trim off, plus it looks bad without the trim.

L'l John

any more ideas?

Has anyone found out any cure for the microwave condensation problem in the microwave installation?
I have found the problem to be in my New 3400RL that I took delivery of last week. Even a reheat of coffee fogs up the glass so that you can't see inside. Wife was baking a potato today and it even fogged up between the glass.
I checked to be sure the vent flap for the range hood is working correctly so I know that is not the problem.

ChopperBill

unitedman said:
We have now had 3 microwaves in our Big Horn, all having the same problem. The last one we tried putting it in without the trim and using it and it worked fine until we put the trim back on. With the trim back on, it leaks again. Haven't figured out a way to secure it while traveling if we leave the trim off, plus it looks bad without the trim.
Cant remember what mine looks like and haven't tried it yet. Maybe a few well place holes in the trim and then put it back on?
You might invent something like TimK's "tent in the vent" :D

busted2341

Well it is amazing what I learn here...to a point i thought the moisture was normal until the Microwave ran for a 10 minute time. After about 10 min. the whole thing shut off. Didn't blow a fuse or anything but just completely shut down, no power..After a couple of minutes I plugged it in again and all works fine except can't cook in it for more than about 3 minutes because it over heats...Gets very hot inside, it doesn't seem to vent...any solutions out there yet??

The RV-Ramblers

BigHorn Owners
Condensation can normally be kept to a minimum by covering or partially covering foods, (i.e. with microwavable cling film) where practicable. A small vent hole may be required if the container is completely sealed. Alternatively, the cavity may be wiped immediately after each time it is used.

phranc

There was a thread on another forum about a year ago on the same subject. Different brand also.Seems the Microwave still had some packing plastic behind it that the factory forgot to remove.this blocked the micro from it;s normal venting function. The dealer replaced the micro exactly as he found old one and left plastic on new unit.Problem continued. Owner eventually pulled micro and found blockage and made corrections and all was well.
Who knows ?? Could be the same .........

Paul & Nan

We have the second microwave in our BH 3500RL, the first one quit cooking or heating anything. It had a real problem with moisture. The manufacturer, Appollo, sent us a new one. Have only used it a couple of times so far, bit it does not seem to steam up as much. Everything else seems to be the same, and there was no packing material on old one. Nan

Paul & Nan

Guess I spoke to soon above about the microwave-we were out this past weekend-I was using the microwave-pushed to button to open the door-strange sound, door not open. Long story short, had to pry the door open with a spoon handle. My thought-Apollo microwaves are not worth the bother and this one we are having to pay to get rid of. We bought a similar sized Panasonic last night, Paul did some modifications to the cabinet and it fits within the shroud of the old one.

I have looked online for Apollow microwaves, only thing I could find was some talk about the poor quality. I can only agree.

Now we have nice new chairs and a decent microwave. Hopefully we are set for awhile. Nan

Paul & Nan

The trailer is in storage so can't get model or pics. It is a 1300W, Panasonic, about $100 at Best Buy. Paul made some risers of wood so that the old grill fit around. Last weekend was the first time we used it and the steam problem surfaced. We do not usually do much more than defrost or heat a veggie, so do not know if this will continue to be a problem. Nan

L'l John

Moisture in Microwave Follow-up

Well,
We got our microwave replaced by our dealer. Another Sylvania exactly like the one we had.
Same problem, moisture build up inside the oven.
I wonder if this problem is just related to this brand of microwave or are others giving the same problem. If I could find another brand that works like it should, and will fit in the cabinet without remodeling the kitchen, I would probably spring for it out of my own pocket.
Or could the installation or cabinet design be causing the problem?

"2007 Bighorn 3400"

Sylvania Microwave

We started out with an Apollo microwave which was nice but would not keem good time. It lost 20 minutes every 24 hours. In May the Apollo was replaced with a Sylvania. We too get lots of condensation. It also overheats and shuts itself off and the cabinet wall beside the microwave gets extremely hot. We figure this could become a fire hazard. We are in Elkhart, IN now and they want to replace the microwave with another Sylvania. We said NO!! We found a Sanyo model at Best Buy that is the same width as the Sylvania, is a half inch shorter and about 1 inch deeper. It will be installed tomorrow so we'll see if the trim kit on the Sylvania works. The Sanyo is bright stainless steel but does have black on it. Will let you know how it works.

L'l John

vzvagabonds said:
It will be installed tomorrow so we'll see if the trim kit on the Sylvania works. The Sanyo is bright stainless steel but does have black on it. Will let you know how it works.

Hope it works for you. Please let me know!

John

RickNB

We purchased a 2007 Sundance by Heartland in May of this year..(5th wheel)...we previously were motorhome owners and never had a problem with our mic in the mh...so far in this unit we have had the chairs in the lvroom replaced (were saggy after 1st mo and we are not large ppl) and have had condensation problems from day one with the sylvania microwave steaming up..to the point of if you open the door water drips off the door..complained to the dealer we purchased from and was told this was 'normal'...well I find it frustrating because we never had this problem in any of our previous units...and an update on the chairs in the living room?? This pair is not even a mo old yet and they are worse than the original ones (they are the same chairs and are new.. came crated etc)..they crack and snap when you get on or off of them..not sure we purchased the right rig at this point.
Mrs. RickNB

saga of the microwave

Well, the Sanyo microwave did exactly the same thing the Sylvania did. When I looked in the installation instructions for the Sanyo it said counter top use only. So we took it back. We found a Dometic microwave that is made for RV's and for a cabinet type installation. I have tried heating water for about 9 minutes and it did have condensation coming out of the vents of the trim kit, but the condensation did not get inside the glass on the door nor did it get in the clock area. The cabinet wall beside the microwave was warm but not hot. I guess time will tell. If we continue to have a problem we will have to think about having a vent to the outside installed behind the microwave. I can't think of anything else to do. I did ask our warranty rep with Heartland to check the installation booklet on the Sylvania to see if it also said counter top use only. I really do not understand why we are all having a problem. We did not have a problem with the microwave in our Alpenlite that we lived in for 9 1/2 years. I just wonder if the compartment the microwave is in is just too small for it to have good ventilation.

L'l John

Vzvagabonds,

Where did you find the Dometic microwave? Did it fit the cabinet, or did you have to modify the opening? Hope it continues to work for you.
It looks like Heartland has some redesign work cut out for them in the Microwave area for the Bighorn. :(