Dually valve extensions

beardedone

Beardedone
What does everyone do about valve extensions on their duallies. It is difficult to check the air pressure on my Dodge and I am sure any dually. I also discovered my dealer is not checking the air pressure like they claimed. Do you use valve extensions or some other device so that pressure can be tested without two much difficulty. If you use extensions how does that effect wheel balance?

cjbearden

Visitor
Hi beardedone -
You made a very good choice in your RV and truck!:D Yes, we use valve extensions and they work great. We use Pressure Pro monitoring system also and have not noticed any ill effect on wheel balance. We endorse use of both items. Happy travels.

Carolyn

boatdoc

Nice truck you have there!!! Check out the "tire man" in Ridgecrest, Ca. They're not screw on extentions but one piece stems and work well. Kinda spendy but what is'nt now days. I went thru the same ordeal being my first dually and these work great with the pressure pro's on them. Good luck

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
What does everyone do about valve extensions on their duallies. I also discovered my dealer is not checking the air pressure like they claimed. Do you use valve extensions or some other device so that pressure can be tested without two much difficulty.
I hear your grief my friend. I've not had much luck with extensions and because I rotate every 6K or so they would be a bit of a problem for me. I use one of those double headed gauges and fillers and I also have to remove the wheel covers to check air pressure. In all, about a 15 minute job for all 6 tires. In addition to not checking tire pressure, I found on more than one occasion, even a Chevy Dealer, not greasing the zirk fittings. Since I've found that, I always mention to the service writer, tell yout tech not to forget the lube part of the lube, oil & filter change. When I pick up the truck, I check a couple zirks and look at a ball joint for a little fresh grease.

2010augusta

I use the "airless" extensions on the inners only, and made sure that the wheels are clocked correctly. I only lost 5 psi over 5 months while it was not being used to move the fifth wheel.

Ray LeTourneau

I use the "airless" extensions on the inners only, and made sure that the wheels are clocked correctly. I only lost 5 psi over 5 months while it was not being used to move the fifth wheel.
Alan, What's an "airless" extension? I've never heard of that before.:confused: Thanks. OK, I found them doing a search but why are they called airless? I've used these before on a Class C we used to have.

Last edited:

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I went to a truck tire dealer and asked about having longer stems or extensions put on my truck. They recommended that I not do that because they can catch debris, etc., and get damaged. Since GM installed the gated caps on them, they told me to use a straight tip inflator and trucker style tire gage. No need to remove the caps. I've got both and don't have a problem checking or adding air to my duallies.

2010augusta

Alan, What's an "airless" extension? I've never heard of that before.:confused: Thanks. OK, I found them doing a search but why are they called airless? I've used these before on a Class C we used to have.

Ray, They are "airless" because the extension itself holds zero pressure, so if it is damaged on the road, you do not end up with a flat, and you do not have to worry about them creating a slow leak. They are more expensive than regular extensions, but the safety factor is worth the cost to me.

Ray LeTourneau

Ray, They are "airless" because the extension itself holds zero pressure, so if it is damaged on the road, you do not end up with a flat, and you do not have to worry about them creating a slow leak. They are more expensive than regular extensions, but the safety factor is worth the cost to me.
After giving it some logical thinking I pretty much thought that's what they were. Same type we had on a class C. Yes, they would work well but a minor inconvenience when rotating tires. Probably still worth it for the ease of checking/airing up the tires.

SilverRhino

Question about the extensions you use.......are you using the ones that are approx 4" long that hook into the wheel cover?? I really only need them for my inner duals...but....have not found any metal extensions that are straight....all at 45 - 90 - 180 degrees....I don't think these would help.

2010augusta

Question about the extensions you use.......are you using the ones that are approx 4" long that hook into the wheel cover?? I really only need them for my inner duals...but....have not found any metal extensions that are straight....all at 45 - 90 - 180 degrees....I don't think these would help.

No, I am using about a 8 inch braided stainless extension from Wheel Master. Here is a LINK I have the hub mounted version that rivet on to the wheel center. They do have a straight metal extension too here is that product.

marina5

I have tried extensions and they did not work and I have found that if I put my hand in between the wheels to support the gauge or inflator with the tips of my fingers I have no problem checking or airing up the tires.
I am a retired truck mechanic and have fairly big hands.