And so it begins

Manke3010

As always, mods look great Duane.

So on the cabinet doors you've added (above microwave and I think the new cabinet door and access area under sink that replace the fire extinguisher), did you just order new cabinet and hinges from HL parts dept?

Also, on that Level Up dent in your tail gate, was your truck just parked with tailgate down and under the king pin, and the Level Up self adjusted the king pin to drop that low to hit your gate? If so, wow! That's a crazy big adjustment...

Thanks for sharing.

porthole

Retired
As always, mods look great Duane.

So on the cabinet doors you've added (above microwave and I think the new cabinet door and access area under sink that replace the fire extinguisher), did you just order new cabinet and hinges from HL parts dept?

Yes to the ordering. When you call they just want to know what color and the size. Parts does not list the door by application. You can order a door only or door with hardware.

BTW, I have not got around to the "fire extinguisher" door, and that was the spare door I used to fix the one I ripped apart.

Also, on that Level Up dent in your tail gate, was your truck just parked with tailgate down and under the king pin, and the Level Up self adjusted the king pin to drop that low to hit your gate? If so, wow! That's a crazy big adjustment...

I unhooked from the trailer and pulled away to what I thought was far enough. The king pin only caught the tailgate by about an inch or two and it was angled so only one corner.

The trailer was sitting "uphill". You still need the height to disconnect. So when the auto level starts it 1st lowers the front to below level to get a base point.

Once the trailer was level the front jacks were only extended about 6 inches or so.
I just didn't expect it to drop that low but should have known better.

Last edited:

jnbhobe

Duane; It happened to me too !! I thought I was far enough away, I was lucky the pin missed by 1/2" so I watch a lot closer now

porthole

Retired
Duane,
Good thing these things are (fairly) small annoyances. Still stinks though.
I have a question. Does your level up auto level with the touch of a button? I thought I read Audra's Bigfoot claimed they were the only ones with auto level.

Louis

Once turning on the Level Up you can push the "auto level" button for it to start the sequence.

You don't even have to be disconnected from the truck. I will sometimes activate the auto level after I back into the driveway from a trip. I usually leave it in the center to unload and clean and then move it over out of the way.

The only thing I found you have to watch with "leveling and not disconnecting" is the slope.

Up to the flat part of my driveway I have a bit of an incline. If the truck and trailer are not far enough back, and the truck still facing downhill a bit, the front jacks try and lift the rear of the truck off the ground.

One time I had the truck a bit too far forward and went in to check the hitch connection. I put truck in gear, took my foot off the brake and could not figure out what this weird noise was - it was the rear tires spinning!

LevelUp_install_12.jpg

Last edited:

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I take it that in normal operations at a campsite, though, that you would first raise the front manually to unhitch, OPEN THE GATE, and pull the TV out of harm's way. Then operate the Level Up to automatically level the rig. Correct? No way I could use it on my driveway, even if the rig and TV would fit. It's inclined all the way to the street and I'd be either up on the lawn across the street or twisting the axles off to get it backed in.

Yianni

Louis

Once turning on the Level Up you can push the "auto level" button for it to start the sequence.

You don't even have to be disconnected from the truck. I will sometimes activate the auto level after I back into the driveway from a trip. I usually leave it in the center to unload and clean and then move it over out of the way.

The only thing I found you have to watch with "leveling and not disconnecting" is the slope.

Up to the flat part of my driveway I have a bit of an incline. If the truck and trailer are not far enough back, and the truck still facing downhill a bit, the front jacks try and lift the rear of the truck off the ground.

On time I had the truck a bit too far forward and went in to check the hitch connection. I put truck in gear, took my foot off the brake and could not figure out what this weird noise was - it was the rear tires spinning!

View attachment 10299

Very impressive setup. I wish that $2400.00 deal would come up on the west coast sometime. That would be my Christmas to myself.

porthole

Retired
I take it that in normal operations at a campsite, though, that you would first raise the front manually to unhitch, OPEN THE GATE, and pull the TV out of harm's way. Then operate the Level Up to automatically level the rig. Correct?

Correct, that is the sequence with the emphasis on moving the truck out of the way :)

Also know, that you can cancel the auto level at any time. I think applying any of the buttons causes a "panic stop" that has to be acknowledged with the enter key.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Correct, that is the sequence with the emphasis on moving the truck out of the way :)

Also know, that you can cancel the auto level at any time. I think applying any of the buttons causes a "panic stop" that has to be acknowledged with the enter key.

Cool! I'm still planning on getting the Level-Up. Just gotta wait for my Nigerian uncle to send me the money.

porthole

Retired
Hey Brett, if you are referring to these pictures
//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/11365-And-so-it-begins?p=135049&viewfull=1#post135049

That is all I have, and the trailer is still covered.
I used 4 eyebolts, two on the garage frame (inside the trailer) near the top. I think these are either 1/4 or 5/16 stainless eyebolts.
The door also has eyebolts. They are drilled through the aluminum trim that surrounds the door.

Since doing this we have only been on one campground that was suitable for doing this. It was nice in the evneing. But no sun shade during the heat of the day would make it uncomfortable.

porthole

Retired
Replaced the original 12 volt battery with two 6 volt gel batteries.
Bit of wiring to go with it.

Marine battery box. This box will only hold two batteries and just fits, but there are boxes available that will hold 4 batteries.

Bumped up the cable size with all marine grade wire. Also marine rated fuses, circuit breakers and power posts. Used 2/0 wire for the battery to the fuse. circuit was added for future inverter use.

Kind of tight working in the cabinet though. Not real happy with the panel. Odds are it will be changed somewhat with an inverter and solar add on.
1st two are wiring only pics, battery box not in yet.

Attachments

• Battery_6_volt_01.jpg
    Battery_6_volt_01.jpg
    307.1 KB · Views: 486
  • Battery_6_volt_02.jpg
    Battery_6_volt_02.jpg
    276.9 KB · Views: 450

porthole

Retired
These 6 volt gel batteries are heavy. They don't drop straight in to the box. So I rigged up this little block & tackle with stuff I had laying around.

Attachments

• Battery_6_volt_03.jpg
    Battery_6_volt_03.jpg
    301.2 KB · Views: 471
  • Battery_6_volt_04.jpg
    Battery_6_volt_04.jpg
    281.6 KB · Views: 438

porthole

Retired
Batteries in the box

Attachments

• Battery_6_volt_05.jpg
    Battery_6_volt_05.jpg
    278.9 KB · Views: 455
  • Battery_6_volt_08.jpg
    Battery_6_volt_08.jpg
    251.3 KB · Views: 395

porthole

Retired
This is a "thru hull" I added to run battery cables out the bottom of the trailer to the truck connector.

Attachments

• Battery_6_volt_06.jpg
    Battery_6_volt_06.jpg
    222 KB · Views: 430

porthole

Retired
Added a switch for the compartments interior light which was a bit difficult to get to.
This switch is on the flip up door frame.

Attachments

• Battery_6_volt_09.jpg
    Battery_6_volt_09.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 390

Riverman

Nice work Duane.
A bit difficult to get to? I think I wrenched my back once last year trying to reach that light.
I had plans of installing a plunger switch on the door kinda like a refrigerator.