Winterizing my ice maker

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
Does anyone know the best way to winterize the ice maker. I have turned the water off under the sink and was thinking of disconnecting the hose from there up to the ice maker and letting it drain.

If I do that and then wipe clean the ice tray (where the cubes are made), is that sufficient or should I do something else?

thanks,

Keith

2010augusta

once the hose is drained you need to cycle the ice maker a couple time by turning the drive gear. You may need to disconnect the line from the solenoid on the back of the refer too.

klindgren

once the hose is drained you need to cycle the ice maker a couple time by turning the drive gear. You may need to disconnect the line from the solenoid on the back of the refer too.
Thanks Alan. I understand about cycling the ice maker a couple of times, but not sure what you mean about disconnecting the line for solenoid. I know where to unplug the ice maker from the outside, is that the area I should be looking for the solenoid??

Thanks,

Keith

2010augusta

I know where to unplug the ice maker from the outside, is that the area I should be looking for the solenoid??

Keith, you are correct. The solenoid is what opens and shuts off the water flow to the ice maker. You will be able to see the clear line running to it on the back side of the unit.

klindgren

Keith, you are correct. The solenoid is what opens and shuts off the water flow to the ice maker. You will be able to see the clear line running to it on the back side of the unit.
Excellent. Thanks Alan. I do remember seeing that line when we did the PDI this past spring. I'll get to it today.

thanks again for your help. One more reason why I love this forum

Keith

Delaine and Lindy

Ice maker...

We haven't use the Ice maker in the last three we have owned. The Mobile Suites we have owned have had the ice maker line connected to the kitchen sink cold water line. So we wouldn't have a freezing problem. On the Landmark we owned we I disconnected the clear water line and put air pressure to it and blowed the water out and never reconnected it. GBY......

klindgren

Keith,

A year ago, I began an FAQ section on the factory site. In it, I provided an excerpt from Dometic on how to winterize the ice maker. Scroll down the list here:
http://www.heartlandrvs.com/FAQ.html

Jim

Thanks Jim. I knew I had read the procedure some where. I just couldn't remember and when I tried the "search" engine, it didn't give me what I was looking for. This is it. Now, I've printed it so I can keep it with my paperwork in the camper.

Thanks again

Keith