Why a Landmark or a Big Country over the Big Horn?

Natesi

I'm going to purchase a Big Horn 3670RL in the Spring. As I've been looking at all that Heartland has to offer, I can't figure a couple things out:
1--I don't get the Big Country line up at all. Zilch. OK, it has different floors, a (somewhat) fancy exterior, crazy mix-matched color cabinetry that doesn't go well together at all (at least in the pictures, IMO), and slightly different this-and-that. Why would somebody buy this? The fancy exterior? Just doesn't do it for me.
2--Why spend $20Gs more on a Landmark over a Big Horn? You get a little bit nicer stuff here and there, and a fancy exterior, IF you option it. But $20Gs... What am I missing?

No offense to anyone who has purchased either of these, or course. I'm just curious. There's probably thins I haven't thought of.

I suppose if I had an extra 20Gs laying around I might consider a Landmark -- but I don't. I can kinda see that. However, the Big Country...? Nothing about it appeals to me at all. Not even the exterior. I don't understand what it's doing in Heartland's line up.

-Nathan

Last edited:

rick_debbie_gallant

I think you will enjoy your Big Horn 3670rl. My wife basicall had her choice at what she wanted to buy and she fell in love with the 3670. We looked at the landmark, the big country and the big horn. And we Kept going back to the big horn 3670rl. By the way did I say she liked the storage? She does. Merry Christmas and happy new year and a fun time in your 3670!!!:D:D

jbeletti

Nathan,

There is a lot of stratification in RV world. Each product Heartland makes fills a different level, a different need, a different price point, a different feature set. Some products compete head-on with another manufacturer's specific brand.

I do want to say that for the past couple of model years, the price difference between similar floor plans with similar options was about $10,000.

Best of luck to you on your future purchase of a Heartland.

Jim

Natesi

Thanks Jim. Good points; didn't think of all that.

Also, didn't realize the historical selling price difference was around $10K. Makes more sense now.

= )

SilverRhino

Love our BC

We decided on our 2010 BC 3250 for a number of reasons, the main one being the floor plan. Another issue was length......we had restrictions at our storage site and we really did not want to tow more trailer than we needed.

This is our 5th RV, and 2nd 5th wheel......we new what we wanted and more importantly what we really did not need......the BC was the best fit! Our unit is used for long weekends and numerous 10 to 14 day trips throughout the year.

Looking at the 2011 BC......the exterior is nice, not real fond of some of the interior changes.

I think that RVs like everything else......become personal decisions.....what really works for one person does not work at all for another. Fortunately.....great companies like HL allow us to make those personal choices.

Good Luck & Travel Safe!

2010augusta

-Why spend $20Gs more on a Landmark over a Big Horn? You get a little bit nicer stuff here and there, and a fancy exterior, IF you option it. But $20Gs... What am I missing?

-Nathan

You are right one except for the price difference, We feel that the upgrades on the 2010 Landmark over the 2010 Big Horn were well worth the price difference from our dealer. Now that the 2011's are starting to show up at dealers it could change things a lot. Now many of the features that were ONLY available one the Landmarks are now available for the Big Horns and other trailers. The Big Country under went a complete makeover between the 2010 and 2011 model year. As Jim B. Said each model is targeted to a specific market, and to me the 2011's are starting to blur the segments together a bit more than the 2010's did. If we were buying now, instead of this time last year the Big Horn would a much stronger contender. But we love our 2010 Landmark and feel it was a great value.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
At the time we purchased our Landmark there was a considerable difference between the Landmark and Big Horn. The Big Country was really a lower end unit. Since 2007 there have been many improvement in each level. To me the difference between the Landmark and Big Horn would be comparable to the Ford Crown Victoria and Mercury Marquis. There are many similarities however there are features on the Landmark which are not available in the Big Horn such as the soft touch ceiling (easier to clean and IMO looks nicer) The Landmark also has features which come standard where are optional in the Big Horn and not available in the Big Country. When you get down to the wheeling and dealing with the dealer many times you can get the price difference between the Landmark and Big Horn down to just a couple of thousand dollars which is cheaper than adding all of the same options to the Big Horn. It all works out in the end and I guess that is why the RV Manufacturers make so many similar models and brands.

Natesi

When you get down to the wheeling and dealing with the dealer many times you can get the price difference between the Landmark and Big Horn down to just a couple of thousand dollars which is cheaper than adding all of the same options to the Big Horn.

Holy cow! Maybe I should be looking at an Augusta....

= )

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Nathan, not a soul has mentioned that a BH 3670 is a LM Augusta with a few less frills. Bob:D

Natesi

LOL! (htneighbors)

Well... yeah -- I was kinda thinking of the Augusta as a decked-out BH 3670RL.

= )

I know it comes with some things you can't get on the 3670RL, but the 3670 is pretty freaking sweet already. I didn't realize the price between the two was (potentially) not very significant though. That's kinda where I was coming from.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Sorry Alan, I wasn't sure if he knew that. The OP didn't mention it. I did re-read all the posts and sorry I just did not see that point made.

Last edited:

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Yeah, man, get the BH3670. With the money you'll save, you can hang you own dingle balls in the rear window and make it look like an Augusta. :D And now I'll don my Kevlar vest.

rick_debbie_gallant

Yeah, man, get the BH3670. With the money you'll save, you can hang you own dingle balls in the rear window and make it look like an Augusta. :D And now I'll don my Kevlar vest.

I am with you Jon!!Save the 10G's or whatever and get the bh3670. I will be getting some fancy crown molding to put around the ceiling and walls.. Maybe put in some fancy fluorescent lights or better yet just replace some of the bulbs with the led type. For ten grand I can trick this castle to the 9's.:D:D:D

caissiel

I like my 2009 BC 3500RL, because it fit all the requirements we wanted in a livable RV. It was affordable and with a few added options it was the pefect unit for us. The more expensive models had more to offer of the things we found not important to us. Maybe we will loose in the resale, but we do like our unit for what we use it for. We live in it, its our house, and does it well both on the road and in the park.

2010augusta

Oh yeah? Let's see ya put in a garage! :D :D :D

The garage is not big enough for MY toy.:D
Grizzly32007.jpg

The plate reads I12BJPN. figure that one out.