Roof mounted satellite dish?

Peteyx

I understand that the top models of Heartland are prepped for roof dishes. We have ordered a 2011 Elkridge 34QRSL and want the dealer to install a Winegard Trav'ler auto dish. Has anyone had experience installing one where there is no power or coax cable at the install site? I would like to avoid having cables and wires running across our new trailer.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
There should be provisions already in your rig for a roof mounted dish. Your dealer should be knowledgeable on the install as well. I don't think you need to worry. Unless of course you park in a site that has trees or something else obstructing the view of the satellite.

I have been looking at different dealers websites for pictures of the Universal Docking Station (UDC) for the Elk Ridge and I cannot tell from the pictures if your unit will have provisions for a roof top mounted dish or not. I have a 2009 Big Country 3490RB and it has, in the UDC, two sets of Sat inputs. Sat 1 and Sat 2 and Roof 1 and Roof 2. When installing a roof mounted dish on my 5th wheel, I would have to jumper the roof input to the sat inout and it would be good to go. So with that being said, make sure you talk with your dealer about that option. My unit has the roof wiring installed and in the ceiling in the bedroom. They call them preinstalled roof coils for the sat wiring.

Good luck with your new Elk Ridge. I looked hard at them before deciding on the Big Country.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
If you ordered a new rig, call the factory and ask if it comes prepped for sat. If not, ask if it can be done during the build. Your dealer may have to be the one to request that, but at least you will know if it can be done.

Peace
Dave

B

bwwalczak

Lets clarify the some of the information on this post. Many Heartland brands do offer satelite prep into the roof - Landmark, Bighorn, and Big Country. All the product listed above have the laminated roofs. These brands also feature seperate bedroom and living room satelite runs.

ElkRidge has a conventional trussed roof system and does not have a satelite roof prep. However we do run a single RG-6 cable to the living area for a satelite system in one area. If your dealer has agreed to modify the ElkRidge for a satelite system, dealers CAN do this. Just to be clear, ElkRidge does not offer this roof satelite prep.

Chainsaw

Saskatchewan Chapter Leader
Brian, thankyou to heartland for the wiring schematic for the satellite system. we have owned several RVs and with out exception. when I asked for a wiring diagram I was told that that would be hard to do because the guy that did the wiring that day may have run it different than the guy the day before. I aways complain when things are not right but I always compliment when they are. Again, thank you!
chainsaw

We just bought a 2011 BC 3550TSL. We are going to install a Winegard Trav'eler dish on the roof and are looking for the satellite coils for the roof that come from the UDC. Does anyone know where we can find them?

Willym