3185 closed slides block access to rear lounge

lmmsdca

Hi, DH and I plan on selling our house next spring and going on the road fulltime. It's been 12 years since I have owned an RV and I've never had one with slides.

We really LOVE the open floorplan on the 3185RL. However, we have not been able to see it with the slides closed. My concern is that with the slides closed the kitchen is off limits including the fridge and I don't belive you can get to the rear lounge area either.

I'm picturing a rainy travel day, stopping for lunch, running into the trailer and not being able to sit anywhere to eat/relax. I know I can plan ahead for the food by packing a small ice chest since I won't be able to access the fridge and that is fine with me, but not being able to sit/relax for a bit seems a bit frustrating.

If you have a 3185 has this been an issue for you? We've never RV'd fulltime before so I don't have a good feel for how much of a bother this will be. We expect to stay in campgrounds for 1 - 4 week periods then move on to the next place with probably a day or two of travel in between.

Thanks for your insights!
Lisa

jimtoo

Hi Lisa,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

As far as access to the lounge area or chairs, I don't think I have ever seen a 5th wheel or trailer with slides on both sides that you could use the rear area or chairs without putting the slides or at least one of them out. If you stop for lunch at road side park, it only takes about 30 seconds to run the slides out.

I'm sure others will give their opinions also.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

lmmsdca

Thanks Jim...for the welcome and the advice!

I guess I should clarify that I had advice from someone that in a busy rest area you might not want to put slides out because of other vehicles wanting to pull into spaces adjacent to you...and perhaps swinging in fast and not seeing your slides soon enough!

I understand that even though the 3185 has hydraulic slides (where all three go out consecutively) you can override the main slide switch and put them out individually. So I guess the best way to deal with this issue in a busy rest area would be to put out whichever slides you need just a short distance.

Thanks again! I knew the forum could help me figure this stuff out! :)

Lisa

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
FWIW, there was also some Q & A earlier about using the slide areas, like the dining table, with the slide only partially extended. Not recommended by HL.

lmmsdca

Interesting, because I didn't even know you could put a slide out part way until a Heartland dealer told me about it! Neither dealer who mentioned this said anything about it not being recommended for use while only partially out. Hmmm...

On the 3185RL I suppose we could move the Sofa/dining table slide out about a foot to get into the living area for seating. That way we wouldn't actually being sitting in the partially open slide.

JohnDar

Moving a slide partially out like that to get passed it is not a problem. The possible problem was with the family sitting down around the table with it partially out. Something about the support system of the floor in that configuration. Partial extension is possible with either an electric or hydraulic slide system. Just take your finger off the button.

Two Hands

Access to the bathroom, refrigerator and dining table with the slides in was an important consideration when we were shopping for a fifth wheel. My CEO/Navigator likes to stop at a road side rest for lunch when we are on the road. We can do that easily with our Big Horn 3055RL. We have the free standing dining table and it is only the two of us. We sit in the two forward chairs without having to remove the tie downs.

JohnDar

In your model, that looks entirely possible. In the 3185, which has a similar slide configuraton as the 3670, you can't sit at the table with the slide retracted. The kitchen counter is tight against the table and prevents even getting into a chair. The fridge can be opened enough to access the contents and the bathroom is fully accessible, though.

ncrebel8

Wesley and Niki Norwood
This was one of our deciding factors when purchasing our BH 3410. I wanted to be able to get to everything in the rig with the slides in. You never know what you may need to get to, or if you may need to stay somewhere that you cant let the slides out for an overnight during a trip.

As for letting the slides out just enough to get to something or by something, Right or wrong I dont know. I would never move the slide without leveling and stabilizing the rig. there is some frame flex to these things and if the frame is flexed enough I can see where it would knock the slide out of adjustment. Thats just one of my little quirks.But I think that rig should be level and with all the jacks down before the slides are moved. Im pretty sure that is how it was engineered to work anyway.

On another note, Just a little story to see if anyone is actually reading this. I saw a guy once at a state park who listened to his wife complain about he had parked thier TT with 2 slides about 8 inches to far back on the site. Her awning wasnt exactly where she wanted it. So, he raised his rear stabilizers and hooked it to the truck. Slides out, water and electricity hooked up. and moved it maybe a foot forward. It sounded awful. and they had to get an rv repairman out to put the slides back on the tracks. I dont think thier camping trip went very well after that. Live and learn.

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1
we have the 3670rl (2010) and i turned the table around and now have room to barely scoot by it to get to the living room. also have room to get the ref. doors open, 1 partially open, but enough to get the sandwich stuff out if needed. you will either have to learn to deal with or get a 3670rl and rotate the table around.

lmmsdca

Two Hands: My access list was just like yours until I saw the 3185 floor plan. What I love about it is how wide open it is. I like to cook so having adequate cooking space/storage is key and I like the fact that it doesn't have overhead cabinets separating the kitchen from the main living space.

John Dar/Kenny Cochran: We didn't want to go as large as the 3670. I like the idea of turning the table for some access though! That might work with the 3185.

ncrebel8: Our concern with the 3410 is that the seating is perpendicular to the TV. It would be great if we could pick and choose floorplan elements to make our own rig! Very good point about having everything level and stable before putting out the slides.

Thanks so much everyone for all the input! It's given us a lot more to consider. It's been a very good thing that we started considering RV's a good two years before we are ready to purchase. We've already changed our minds several times, but every time is getting us closer to the decision that's right for us. The forums are invaluable!

Lisa

musicman

We have the BH 3185 RL and we just love it. With all slides closed you can still get to the refrigerator (it does open and close with slides in) and to the restroom. Yes, the bedroom and living area is closed off but we knew that from the beginning. I hope this helps you in your planning.

lmmsdca

Musicman, I am really glad to hear the fridge is available with the slides closed! It sure didn't look like that was possible. I think the next time we go look at the 3185RL we will have to get the salesperson to work the slides for us. Actually seeing the rig with the slides in will help us with this decision.

musicman

There are two switches for the slides. One is for the bedroom and closet area. The second is for the entertainment side and eating area side. Be very careful when putting the entertainment slide in. It just barely misses the two recliners. They have to be very snug agaiinst the back wall. That is the DW's job. Ha....Ha...Ha... Enjoy!

DXprowler

ncrebel8: Our concern with the 3410 is that the seating is perpendicular to the TV. It would be great if we could pick and choose floorplan elements to make our own rig! Very good point about having everything level and stable before putting out the slides....
Lisa

Lisa.... We have the 3410RE as well and being able to access the entire coach, except the bedroom dresser, is a bonus for us! I too was concerned with the view angle but have found that it's not a problem with the 40" LCD. Actually my favorite chair is the recliner closest to it so the angle is quite sharp and I find the view not troublesome at all!

We did consider the 3185 but what was a major concern was the lack of storage space in the bedroom. Eventhough we loved the living area floorplan, that prompted us to go up a size to the 3410. The 3185 would have been the best of both worlds but it's size and weight presented other issues for us.

Good luck with your decision!

Bighurt

While we don't have a BH, being able to use our rig without the slides was a big deal.

Road side stops, rest stops and walmart parking lots are all places you don't want to put out the slides. With the 3300RLB the only area inaccessable or un-usable is the rear room. We work around this by packing all the big inert items back there and the ice chests we don't need for the trip itself. The rest of the rig is managable, the only hurdle is the master bed to the closet and getting into the dresser.

The above was not our only concern but for storage was as well. Our summer storage area allows us full use of our 3300RLB with the exception of the rear slide. However even the couch air mattress can be used with the slide in. This allows the DW axcess to the whole rig between trips for cleaning and re-packing. We wanted to her to have the ability to ensure the rig is ready to go when I get off work fridays for weekend trips. Its position also gives as a second home for visiting relatives, with the understanding there is no water...

Our winter storage doesn't allow for any slides out, again the rig configuration allows nearly full access to prep.

We spent a significant portion of time looking at rv's and picturing them closed for our particular reasons above. I think it would be nice if Heartland had schematics of both slides in and slides out, I would find it useful to see both configuration as a buyer, and am editing snapshots of cyclone floor plans to see for myself. Just got the sundance and already looking to upgrade.

Hope this helps.
Jeremy

lmmsdca

Thanks to everyone for your input! Learning that the fridge can be opened when slides are closed and that slides should not be used when partially extended or even when the rig is not stabilized are valuable pieces of info that really help with our decision. Especially when there are few Heartland dealers in our area for us to be able to go see the rigs very often. We just got a big dose of Heartland on a recent trip to Oregon, where we went to 3 different dealers, and got a good chance to walk thru many models.

Since we will be fulltiming in the rig we purchase I think our main focus will remain on how comfortable the unit is when fully set up. We don't plan on purchasing a home until we are done with the road...and that may be many, many years. Once we do purchase a home we expect to have enough space to park the rig, with slides open, and possibly with hookups. So maybe I am putting too much emphasis on how usable the rig is while travelling between destinations. Decisions, decisions...but with a great big prize at the end: Retirement on the Road!

Gotta say, I love these RV forums!
Lisa

patsak

We have the 3185 and love it! It is just the right size. With the slides closed, we can use the refrigerator and the bathroom. We can also access the bed through the bathroom. When opened, the living room is perfect. It is open and cozy. The kitchen is wonderful for cooking. There is plenty of storage in the cabinets for your supplies.