Really hard to open refer freezer door - 9 cu ft Dometic in 3670RL

RollingHome

OK, I just know you guys know what I'm talking about. It was dinner time and Patti pulled and pulled and she could not get the freezer to open. So it was my turn, I took an animal fit and "BIG crunch" Ut OH, sounds ugly. The SOB opened up and we ate. Trouble is the latch which catches the little tab wedge split and broke in half ( Good news is, it now opens without a fuss...). What gives ? Why are these Dometic refers so hard to get into ? I never had all this difficulty opening a fringe before, why now ? I'm reluctant to "fix" what I broke because it works beter broke. Any input ? Do these things pull a vacuum and if so why ? Tom

Willym

If you try to open the fridge after it has been recently opened, you will get slight vacuum inside opposing the door opening. This is especially true for the freezer section which has no drain line to the outside. On the first opening, some relatively warm air enters the fridge and once the door is closed it is cooled and this causes a drop in pressure. Hence the vacuum effect on the door when you try to open it again within a short time period. Its a good thing really, as it proves that your door seals are working.

RollingHome

Thank you Bill, actually, I think I hear a air suction sound ( i.e Vacuum) is this possible ? I read the Dometic manual and nothing is mentioned. Is this sound my imagination ?

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
Thank you Bill, actually, I think I hear a air suction sound ( i.e Vacuum) is this possible ? I read the Dometic manual and nothing is mentioned. Is this sound my imagination ?

Not your imagination...the sound does exist! If it won't open, let it sit for 5 minutes and it will!