Good Sam Club

jbeletti

Good Sam Club 40th Anniversary Member Yearbook...hm...

I enjoy being a member of the Good Sam Club (for the CG discount mainly) but they spend a lot of money snail mailing me with their product marketing.

The above titled product is certainly a real product (40th Anniversary Member year book) but the email (image below) I received from the GSC, in my case, ended up being a marketing tool veiled as request for Year book information.

I called the number, gave them my ID number and answered a couple questions (verification of address, phone, email, pets, spouse, trailer brand, model, length etc.). It sure sounded like information that was good to "target" market products of Good Sam affiliation.

Then came the pitch to buy the year book (it's $100 by the way). I have not been associated with the GSC long enough to forge bonds with other members and go to their rallies etc. I think one day we may get to that point but $100 was a bit much for my interest. I was then offered a standard edition for $20 less.

Then I was offered to be connected to a GS VIP Insurance rep to get a quote. That's when I decided we were done with the call.

I present this as informational only, in the even that others get the same email.
I do truly believe that 50% of the effort is to confirm/gather personal information for the year book. But I also believe that other 50% of the effort is to use that same updated information to target market you and if they can, sell you more products on the same phone call (VIP as my own example).

I do enjoy my Good Sams Club membership and camping discounts. Their marketing drives me nuts though. So much money spent on direct mail.

//heartlandowners.org/images/GSC-Email.JPG

jimtoo

I've been a GS member for years for the same reason as you. But I was smarter than you, it went straight in the trash. I figured that if they could send me all the junkmail, both spam and sm, then they knew enough about me.

sailorand

Past British Columbia Chapter Leader
We have belonged to GSC for a number of years, also. Sadly, Good Sam Club is not a club. The only club part about it is your local Good Sam Chapter. We have belonged to a local chapter for about 8 years now and we go out on campouts and lunchs with them.
The Rally in July 2007 in Redmond Oregon, is a great sales event. It is lots of fun for a week, with great entertainment and fantastic seminars. There is also several hundred vendors and a 1000 RVs to look at. Even though it is a big sales event we are still going as it is lots of fun.
We also use GSC emergency roadside service as it seems to be a little better than AAA.
regards
Rand

jbeletti

Rand,

Thanks for reminding me - I too use Good Sam's ERS and I do love that product. Hadn't had a need for it in two years of RVing and then in our 3rd year, we used it 3 times - all for flats. One day, when we've been at this for a good stretch of time, especially when we are at a point when we can semi-retire and RV more, we'll get more involved in the club aspect of GS.

So for now, we'll work, RV when we can, use the GS products that work for us and shovel out a ton of other GS offerings we get in the mail monthly - plus a few sales emails cloaked as other things.

Jim

jpmorgan37

Some of the things that they offer such as: Good Sam Emergency Assistance Plus, Emergency Road Service, Perscription Drug Plan through Humana, Vehicle insurance (VIP) through GMAC, Homeowners Insurance through GMAC -- All of these through Good Sam. I'm a price comparison shopper and $ for $, I found these hard to beat or in most cases, unbeatable. And the rest of the "junk mail" from them, I round file. When you are travelling, use the Sam Log for information about a strange city or town and you meet some great folks--some with overnight hookups, though I've never used them. I agree, sometimes I get frustrated at the sales push, but there are a lot of positive benefits when we see all they have to offer.

elwaller39

Evans & Lana
I have the Good Sams Emergency Assistance Plus, Emergency Service, I however asked the Good Sams people to not sell my name to other vendors or do I not want all the other mail from them and they have not sent any of the junk mail to me. You may want to try this. Evans & Lana

jcd8822

Joseph
We belong to Good Sam for the emergency service also, We requested a quote for GMAC insurance when we still lived in Houston and their insurance was a lot higher that what we were paying, even though we both had good driving records and no claims. We now find that GMAC does not offer "Full Time" insurance in Texas, so we are staying put for the time being on the insurance we have.

Tom of Ypsi

Jim, Just got my card today and thanks to you it is now in the recyle bin, no need to answer and get more mail.
As far as insurance, I have Progressive and have been very pleased plus they are cheaper for me than any other insurance. When I broke down last May I needed a low boy flat bed tractor trailer to get my coach to the dealer for repairs. I called Progressive and then they called me back to make sure I was ok then called again to make sure my coach was properly taken to the dealer. That was the only time I have heard from them.

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
Got my card today also and it is also in the trash. We use GMAC ins. through GSC. It is cheaper on my dually than anyone else. Also have my Mt. Rushmore, our Montereo Sport, and our golf car with them.I checked on my homeowners but it was higher.Have not taken the emergency road service with them as of yet, but I am thinking strongly about it.

J

Jim_1899

I was a member of Good Sams back in 1994 but did not renew my membership. They still send me a lot of mail trying to get me to rejoin. Being an independent insurance agent I sell RV and auto insurance through Foremost, American Modern, Travelers, Progressive, GMAC, Safeco, Hartford, and AIG. I get to review a lot of coverage and see the premiums. The Good Sams Club membership is inexpensive but it seems to me that there goal is to get you to join to sell you other products. Putting towing on my RV is just $8 a year since I have my RV on my auto policy.

Last edited:

L'l John

Jim 1899,

Putting towing on my RV is just $8 a year since I have my RV on my auto policy.

Just exactly what does that mean?
I have my camper insured with my auto insurance company and liability is covered under my Tow Vehicle policy.
Thanks,
John

J

Jim_1899

I have added the RV to my auto policy just like you would add a 2nd car. You are right that the liability is extended from the vehicle pulling the trailer, so on the camper the coverage is just comprehensive, collision, and towing. I also added one other endorsement that provides extra's like a diminishing deductible, coverage for personal property, etc.

jpmorgan37

If I read what Jim1899 is saying, the towing option is $8.00 a year. That's in addition to the collision and comprehensive, etc. Does that give the additional coverages that the Good Sam ERS gives? $99.00 a year isn't bad considering what you get and in the past seven years, I've never needed it but for the peace of mind, I've got it and hope that I never use it. It's sorta like life insurance. I've got it and hope I never need it, but the odds are, someday I will.

J

Jim_1899

I will have to look at the Good Sams coverage to see all the benefits they provide, it has been a few years since I read what they sent me. Then I can compare it to my coverage.

sailorand

Past British Columbia Chapter Leader
JP
you can get your Good Sam ERS renewed for $89 if you contact your local GS director. They will give you a form that you just fill out and mail off. Or go to your local Samborree and see the director there
The other way is to come on over to Quartzsite for the RV ralley there Jan 20-28th I think and go to the Good Sam tent
Rand

randes

jpmorgan37 said:
Some of the things that they offer such as: Good Sam Emergency Assistance Plus, Emergency Road Service, Perscription Drug Plan through Humana, Vehicle insurance (VIP) through GMAC, Homeowners Insurance through GMAC -- All of these through Good Sam. I'm a price comparison shopper and $ for $, I found these hard to beat or in most cases, unbeatable. And the rest of the "junk mail" from them, I round file. When you are travelling, use the Sam Log for information about a strange city or town and you meet some great folks--some with overnight hookups, though I've never used them. I agree, sometimes I get frustrated at the sales push, but there are a lot of positive benefits when we see all they have to offer.
I read your comments about the Drug Perscription Plan (by Humana) offered through the Good Sam Club. I went to the GS web site but could not find any information about it. Do you know if they are still offering the plan or not? I am currently researching Medicare Supplemental Ins and Drug plans and Humana seems to offer the most for the money. However, a discount through GSC would be even better. Thanks for the help!

jpmorgan37

:confused: Roy;
I just pulled up the GS insurance web site and don't see it listed. I can only guess that they don't offer it as a separate prescription drug plan anymore. I went with AARP for my Medigap supplimental but am waiting to find out more about the Universal Health Insurance that Bob mentioned in his post several days ago. Good coverage that is less expensive, now I can buy that.
John