Carbon Monoxide detector

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
A couple of days ago our Carbon Monoxide detector started beeping every once in a while. I took it down and changed batteries. While reading the back of it there was a statement on it which said it would beep once every minute and the green red and amber lights would come on it the detector had reached it life span. I did not realize the detectors had a 5 year planned obsolesence. Guess that is the way the manufacturer stays in business.

branson4020

Icantre Member
I think it's because the detector circuitry contains an electrochemical cell that is consumed over time. It's just how they work.

jimtoo

Last month mine started beeping every afternoon at 4pm, 1 beep every 30 seconds. Changed batteries, reset, OK till next day. Test said OK... but went on for about a week. Mine was 3 years old, called co. and they said send it in and if bad they would replace. Just pay shipping and handling both ways.... So I went to Walmart and bought a new one for about $35 or so.... no waiting, no testing, new warranty.

wdk450

I noticed that mine has an added tape label saying "CO2 Detector" (Carbon Monoxide is CO - CO2 is Carbon Dioxide). Evidently, somebody doesn't know their gasses. Or is Heartland watching out for global warming?

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
CO detectors are susceptible to exposure to long periods of high temperatures, like a closed up rig sitting in the sun in storage. They can also be "poisoned" or give false reading due to some solvent vapors, emissions from furnishings and hair spray. 5 to 7 years is about the norm, but they can go bad quicker. Occasionally, the low battery beeps do not agree with what the label says it should be. The one in our TT went bad after about a year, but Atwood replaced it after I called them. They're the ones that advised removing the detector from the TT if it was going to be shut up for extended periods with no ventilation.

If your detector starts beeping for no apparent reason (you're not cooking or using a propane appliance), take it outside with the batteries still installed. If it continues to go off in the "fresh" air, it's either batteries or exhausted/contaminated sensor. If you install new batteries and it continues to activate outside, it's had it. Never "test" a CO detector by blowing your breath into it or holding it near a vehicle exhaust. That will muck it up for sure.