End of another summer season

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Well, summer has all but ended, at least up in northern Michigan. We spent the last week at our seasonal campsite, putting things away, getting the pontoon out on the lakes (when it wasn't either cold, raining, or windy). and getting the BH ready to pull home. This summer, everything worked on the BH and nothing gave me grief. Over the season, I got my slide edges covered and installed the plastic strips underneath. Modified the basement walls to have removeable access panels and remounted the converter and surge suppressor. Covered up the ram holes, et.al., with rubber patches made from an old inner tube to keep critters out (did send 6 mice to the big cheese ball in the sky). Even got my Charge Wizard to finally work (had a bad crimp on the extension cord I made). And I installed some shelf inserts in three of the cabinets to make use of the tall space inside. Only actual repair I had to do was this week when we noticed a leak around the kitchen sink. A bead of silicone took care of that. The two extra clips I ordered from HL were on the porch when we got home.

Only real problem this season was the nasty dose of Poison Ivy I got early on. But it didn't slow me down too much. Once you figure out how to control the itch, it's just a matter of time and the right meds until it goes away. Input from members of the forum pointed me in the right direction on that.

Only semi-minor problem I noticed was this morning when I went to select one of the four slides to retract. When I turned in one of the valves, it leaked. Open it back up and no leak. Could be a bad seal in that one. That will be given to the dealer to look at during some other maintenance I want done. But the slides operated as they should, along with the front and rear jacks.

Pulled the rig home (200 miles) without incident at a steady 65 mph. Tires were checked and inflated to 110 psi a couple of days prior and none of them got over 105 degrees on the road home. Got more unloading to do tomorrow at the storage yard.

jimtoo

Hey,,, you got it ready to travel... Keep it hooked up and come on down to the best part of the U.S.,,,, Come to Texas and spend the winter... no winterizing, no heavy coats,,, just lots of good people and lots of things to do.

Jim M

supernan1414

We will be bringing ours home this week end. Our last covered dish supper at the campground and regular monthy meeting. Our campground is membership owned and we govern ourselves i.e. board of directors and officers. It has been a great year here in the north east, lots of hot weather, good boating days and grand kids got lots of tubing in. We will be taking our first trip with the Big Horn to a PA. not a rally camping weekend Columbus day. Everyone that has stopped and looked at our Big Horn has been very impressed. Took the boat out of the water last weekend and got it cleaned up,will be taking it to get winterized Sat. Sad this season is ending.

Attachments

• 000_0002.JPG
    000_0002.JPG
    135.4 KB · Views: 25
  • 000_0001.JPG
    000_0001.JPG
    130.3 KB · Views: 19
  • 000_0004.JPG
    000_0004.JPG
    148.7 KB · Views: 17
  • the bridge.jpg
    the bridge.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 16

Tom of Ypsi

.,,,, Come to Texas and spend the winter... no winterizing, no heavy coats,,,
Jim M[/QUOTE]

Jim, Where did you spend last winter? We were in Houston from Oct into March and mostly froze. I know that was not the norm but it does get cold in Tx.

JohnDar

Hey,,, you got it ready to travel... Keep it hooked up and come on down to the best part of the U.S.,,,, Come to Texas and spend the winter... no winterizing, no heavy coats,,, just lots of good people and lots of things to do.

Jim M

Who you trying to fool?? I seem to recall a lot of posts LAST winter about how cold it was down there. Made it sound like Michigan was in the tropics.:D

jimtoo

"Jim, Where did you spend last winter? We were in Houston from Oct into March and mostly froze. I know that was not the norm but it does get cold in Tx."

Who you trying to fool?? I seem to recall a lot of posts LAST winter about how cold it was down there. Made it sound like Michigan was in the tropics.:D

OK,,,OK,,, Last winter was a little unusual... but if you come to SOUTH TEXAS,,,,Houston is not South Texas....it would be much better. We are between San Antonio and Corpus Christi,,,,normal winter,, we get maybe 3 or 4 early mornings of freezing temps. We rarely get anything below 26 or so.. and then only for a couple of hours. And if you go to the RGV,,, it sees even less than us,, 160 miles North. And we welcome any body and their money to spend the winter down here.... and it is very inexpensive compared to Fl and Az..

Jim M

JohnDar

"Jim, Where did you spend last winter? We were in Houston from Oct into March and mostly froze. I know that was not the norm but it does get cold in Tx."

OK,,,OK,,, Last winter was a little unusual... but if you come to SOUTH TEXAS,,,,Houston is not South Texas....it would be much better. We are between San Antonio and Corpus Christi,,,,normal winter,, we get maybe 3 or 4 early mornings of freezing temps. We rarely get anything below 26 or so.. and then only for a couple of hours. And if you go to the RGV,,, it sees even less than us,, 160 miles North. And we welcome any body and their money to spend the winter down here.... and it is very inexpensive compared to Fl and Az..

Jim M

My experiences with Texas are San Antonio (Fall '67) and Amarillo (Winter '68). Oh yeah, El Paso, passing through to Juarez (Summer '71). That was Juarez when a single, young airman could go there and have a good time, before it became the murder capital of the world. I can recall Amarillo vividly. Marching to class in a morning blizzard (no winter gear) and coming back in the afternoon, slogging through mud. Lovely place. Oh, and the bouquet from the stockyards on the other side of the runways! Eau' de Beef.

We've got a trip planned down to Florida and Alabama in November, but not with the BH. Until next season, it'll be house projects, woodworking and firefighting activities.

P.S.: In my first post, I forgot that I lined the closet with cedar paneling, too. Busy summer.

DougLynne

retired Alberta Chapter Leaders
What summer? This has been the worst summer weaterwise that I can remember around here. We are on 4 consecutive months of below normal temperatures. We had hoped to get out one more time but it is doubtful now. Of well, there is always next summer.../Doug

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Global warming? We will trade you some cool weather for the heat. Right now it is 97 and it was 67 this morning and it felt almost cold. We have had some many weeks/months over 90 degrees it is ridiculous.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
What?? Summer over. Not yet here. We are in Foxboro Mass. Going to Hermon Maine tomorrow for a week. Then we are going to start south and run down VT-100 to see the leafs change color. Summer is over when the leafs are gone and we are in Dallas.

It wa 45* this morning and at this time is 64*. Don't give up!!! :D

Hee Hee Hee :p
BC

JohnDar

Just gotta pull the plug at some point and I've got other things to do besides enjoy the BH and the area we "camp" at. Besides, the campground closes Oct. 1, anyways. I'm one of those, uh, ambidextrous types...not to be confused with being AC-DC.:eek: