Summer Storage: AC or Dehumidifier or Nothing

How Do You Deal with Summer Heat & Humidity While Storing Your 5ver

• I keep the 5ver A/C on and set to a high temp (80 for example)

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • I leave 5ver A/C off but use a dehumidifier 24/7

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Do Nothing - Even though we have heat and humidity where we store

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Do Nothing - Where we store heat and humidity aren't an issue

Votes: 2 15.4%

• Total voters

floridarandy

How Do You Deal with Summer Heat & Humidity: AC or Dehumidifier or Nothing

Well....the temps in Florida are in the 80's this week so I'm thinking about the summer....and its not even March 1! We bought our Sundance 2900MK in October 2010 so we haven't had to deal with summer temps yet.

We're fortunate that we can store the rig alongside the house and have 30amp service so we're "hooked up" 24/7. The Sundance sits beneath big oaks so there's some shade for part of the day but temps and humidity are a way of life in Florida. I want to be sure we keep the interior in like new condition so I'm wondering about leaving the A/C turned on and set to 80 so it cycles on the hottest days primarily to keep humidity under control. I have a remote thermometer/humdistat in the house so I can monitor the heat and humidty from time to time.

Not sure how many hours a day the A/C will run but I"m guessing it will be significant. Not sure how much this will cut down on its lifespan or whether a dehumidifier would make more sense since humidity is the primary issue. I'd put it on the kitchen counter with a drain hose to the kitchen sink and simply leave the grey water tank for the kitchen open so the water will run to the ground. We hope to have a sewer hookup installed soon since there's a line that runs right along that side of the camper.

I guess what I'm asking is about the rooftop A/C. It would easiest to just leave the thermostat set high.

What say you all? ALSO...DON'T FORGET TO TAKE THE POLL.

Randy in Florida

Last edited:

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
We just got another 14" of snow where we stow ours. During the summer, it's on the seasonal site in northern Michigan and I leave the Fantastic Fan set for 85-deg. and the other two vents open when we're not there (we have MaxxAir covers on all three). We may be gone for up to two weeks at a time. Haven't had a problem, and it does get hot and humid up there...sometimes.

Crumgater

Would like to get some fantastic fans - and maybe the covers, too.

Here in rainy Western WA heat isn't a problem, but humidity is. We use the dri-z-air canisters to keep some of the humidity out of the inside and storage. This is just our first year, so we'll see how things go down the road a piece.

JohnDar

Would like to get some fantastic fans - and maybe the covers, too.

Here in rainy Western WA heat isn't a problem, but humidity is. We use the dri-z-air canisters to keep some of the humidity out of the inside and storage. This is just our first year, so we'll see how things go down the road a piece.

Having the covers is a distinct advantage. You can leave the vents open and the Fantastic Fan (covers the rain sensor) running while it's raining outside. With the small awning over the dining/living room windows, we can leave them open and get good air flow without running the A/C.

JohnDar

I don't know if there is a limit on running the fan, provided you have electrical power. It's run for several hours at times, with no problem.

mickmey

We haven't bought our 5er yet, but we have a 2001 Prowler. This past summer we had it stored at our house in KS. Yes, KS gets cold, but in the summer it gets hot. We ran a dehumidifier 24/7 (we bought a fairly small one at Wal-Mart for about $150). I was amazed at the amount of water it took out of the air, as well as how much cooler it was in there, compared to the outside air. I kept thinking "all that water it pulled out of the air is water that's not causing damage to our RV!" We just had to remember to empty it every day. It would fill up and shut off nearly every day. I'm sure we'll do the same for the Cyclone we plan on buying.