By-Pass Valve

imchud

Any body know where i can purchase a hotwater by-pass valve from. I called Heartland parts dept, they said they had them is stock, they also said they don't carry the brass ones anymore, they only have plastic -- $47.00, Wow. So, wanting to keep with the factory equipment I thought I would order one. Then they said they would have to call me back the next day to take my credit card info, I asked why, it was only 2:00 pm and they didnt close for 3 more hours, he then said it just how they do things now???? Anyway,that was 3 days ago. I'm having a hard time thinking about calling them back asking them to take my money, so if you guys know of a place that sells those valves please let me know. I guess I could get a 3 way valve from a plumming supply house, but I wanted to keep everything in the UDC the same if I could, Let me know what you think, thanks.

Tom

hoefler

You don't have to have 3 way valves. You can go to Lowe's or Home Depot, purchase 3 1/2" valves, 2 tee fittings, rings, ring tool, 2 1/2" threaded adaptors, and about 3' of Pex tubing. Install the adaptors on the water heater, hook up the cold and hot water lines, back from the adaptors 2" or 3" cut the lines and install a valve in each line, back 2" or 3" from the valves cut the line and install your tee fittings, install a section of line between the tee fittings, install a valve in between the tee fittings. When all done and said, it will look like an "H" on its side. When in regular use all fitting handles will be horizontal, when in winterizing mode all handles will be vertical. This will eliminate the trouble some plastic valves, will be done in brass and be easily seen which mode you are in.