2nd A/C unit

Bob Vaughn

I am having trouble keeping my 3250TS cool.....If I have a a/c unit installed in the upper bedroom what size btu wise and would it connect to the ducts or would it just dump cool air into the bedroom and if so would the ducts from the lower a/c unit have to be blocked off. How much higher would it be than the vent covers that I have on now?

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Re: ATF: Big Country - 2nd A/C unit

I'm not factory, but I can tell you the additional unit will not feed into the ducts. We have a Penguin Low Profile unit. It is the tallest part of our Elk Ridge (Approx 13'), so it will increase the height some. We still have two ducts from the main unit that feed the bedroom as well, they were not blocked off. I wouldn't want to block any... in case you end up on a 30 amp shore power where you cannot run both ACs at the same time.

B

bwwalczak

We reccomend that you not block any ducts. This way you can still run one A/C.

The 2nd a/c does not tie into the a/c ducts.

A 13,500 btu low profile a/c would be simiar in height to your vent covers.

davidg

Bob, we have a 3055RL BH with two ac units not sure what the BTU is on the bedroom unit but does a real good job of cooling, it is not hooked up to the ducts just pumps air into the bedroom and if the door to the bedroom in yours is in the center like ours is the air will blow into the living area. We have a low profile unit in the bedroom (not as high as the rear one) I like the looks of these for the front unit and as far as the height never had any problems don't even know if it is higher than the vents.
David

GOTTOYS

Do some research on here and try the A/C mod that's often talked about on here first. It may take care of the problem for you...Don

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired

Bob - we put a DuoTherm unit in our old 3250 which fit in the vent hole. It was a stand along unit that did not connect to the coaches' a/c vent system. It did raised the overall height of the coach to 13'4" tall. The way we worked the 2 systems was/is to open the louver vent on the main unit so most of the air conditioner would be in the living room and had a small oscillating fan in the bedroom to keep the a/c air moving in the bedroom. We also had a second unit installed on our new coach and plan to do the same operating both units.

lduguay

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader

Hey Bob, We have the 2011 3250 with both AC units.....like Bryan says, the bedroom unit is 13,500 and is not tied into the ductwork. Height is no higher than Maxxair covers I installed. It has been plenty hot here in NC and the 2nd unit is awesome...we are very comfortable in the heat. The main units forced air continually blows and the AC kicks on & off depending on temp....the bedroom AC turns completely off when desired temp is reached and back on as temp warms up. Ours was installed at the factory and the bedroom thermostat is by the bookshelf so I can reach from my side of the bed during my siesta :)........GET THE 2nd unit and enjoy the COOL!! Lance

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator

Bob, It looks like you've gotten some pretty good replies so I'll move this out of the ATF and into the A/c section of the forum. Stay Cool!

Bob Vaughn

Hey Bob, We have the 2011 3250 with both AC units.....like Bryan says, the bedroom unit is 13,500 and is not tied into the ductwork. Height is no higher than Maxxair covers I installed. It has been plenty hot here in NC and the 2nd unit is awesome...we are very comfortable in the heat. The main units forced air continually blows and the AC kicks on & off depending on temp....the bedroom AC turns completely off when desired temp is reached and back on as temp warms up. Ours was installed at the factory and the bedroom thermostat is by the bookshelf so I can reach from my side of the bed during my siesta :)........GET THE 2nd unit and enjoy the COOL!! Lance
What is the brand of your 2nd a/c?

hoefler

We run a small fan at the top of the stairs to the bedroom blowing into the main area. It helps tremendously. The front unit cycles and the bedroom is very cool. The fan helps circulate the cool air out into the main living area. The main A/C cycles in this heat when we do this.

BHEWITTJR

Just had a Dometic Penguin 13,500 btu low profile installed in the bedroom of our BH it looks to be no higher than any thing else on the roof.

lduguay

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader

Hey Bob,

Not sure what brand the bedroom 13,500btu factory installed roof unit is:confused:.....the thermostat is Dometic, soooooo the old asssummmmption is Dometic :rolleyes: If I get out to the storage lot, I will check it out.

Lance