Verizon Implements Network Optimization - Throttling Top 5%

3Gstore

Earlier this year Verizon announced their plans of network optimization to control the top 5% of data users bringing down the service for everybody else. Verizon has finally implemented this system and users going over 2GB a month on an older 3G unlimited data plan may find themselves surfing at reduced speeds shortly.

Details can be found here - Verizon Implements Network Optimization - Throttling Top 5% of Users

So what do you think about Verizon's new network optimization? I think it's interesting this is being officially announced with rumors of the next iPhone going live sometime next month.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
It's probably a good thing if 5% of the users are making it difficult for the other 95% to access what they're paying for. I don't know what that 5% is doing to gobble up the network (commercial operations?) since we use less than our 5GB a month with two laptops on the MiFi. But we restrict the videos we pull up, since they eat up a lot, and we don't play internet games.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Funny, in one paragraph they say it will only affect older unlimited plans. In another, they say if you subscribe to a data plan after Feb, 2011, it will affect you. A little contradiction there?
I can say for now, I'm not real excited about the 4510 MiFi device in my 3G extended area. My USB 727 seemed to be considerably faster. Hopefully when we hit the road and use it in Verizons regular areas it will be better.
Another problem so far is it seems to just drop the connection for a brief period. It also shuts off by itself when dormant and the battery is still showing a charge. I guess I need to call. FWIW I have done the firmware update through Verizon. Didn't seem to make any difference.

3Gstore

Well that seems like an odd problem Ray, you may want to try doing a power cycle on the MiFi directly. Sometimes they can throw a fit and simply resetting the device takes care of the issue. If you continue to have problems definitely give us a ring and we can see what we can do for you.

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
well being a very heavy user of the Verizon network 7-8 months a year going on 10 years now - I find that this is penalizing those of us who use these devices for business purposes. It is not aimed at making it better for everyone else - it is aimed at reducing the functionality of a service that is grandfathered and not a Cash Cow for Verizon. When I am on the road - I can easily use 9-10 GB of data in a month. At the Pay as you go MiFi rates that would cost me somewhere around $180/month for what I pay $50/month for now.

Ray LeTourneau

Well that seems like an odd problem Ray, you may want to try doing a power cycle on the MiFi directly. Sometimes they can throw a fit and simply resetting the device takes care of the issue. If you continue to have problems definitely give us a ring and we can see what we can do for you.
Matt, by power cycle, do you mean removing the battery for a short time then reinstall or actually pressing the reset button under the cover? Will the reset change the firmware back to the original or will it stay current? Thanks.

3Gstore

Power cycle the device by holding the power button and turn the unit off for about 30 seconds. I supposed you could also remove the battery to ensure that the device is off. It shouldn't affect the firmware and turn everything back on.

Ray LeTourneau

Power cycle the device by holding the power button and turn the unit off for about 30 seconds. I supposed you could also remove the battery to ensure that the device is off. It shouldn't affect the firmware and turn everything back on.
Matt, I had mentioned in another of your threads, I did the power cycle and also the reset and had no improvement. We were even in a VZW area in IL. I'll be calling VZ to see what they have to say.