Replacement hose for the flexible 1/2 inch hose

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
Has anyone found a GOOD replacement for the 1/2 inch flexible hose that is used behind the UDC? Mine seems to be the major problem of all my small leaks that I am having. Looking to replace it all with something a little less leaky!

krhyde

Kentucky Chapter Leaders-retired
Have you considered PEX tubing. It is somewhat flexible and extremely durable. Will not burst even when frozen. It's used in a huge majority of new home construction. I've used it a lot and it's easy to work with. You do need a special tool to make the connections. Lowes and other big box home improvement stores carry the tubing and all the fittings. Ken

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Doesn't your '11 LM already have Pex? If so, buy the tool to repair the fittings and move on.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
The 1/2" hose is reinforced. Where are the leaks, at the fittings or in the line, itself? News flash: the plastic PEX can leak at the plastic connections, as well. My only (so far) leak occurred where you now see the brass fittings and copper crimp rings. I had to redo that much just to get one fitting apart. Now I've got a complete PEX repair kit, along with a couple of feet of PEX pipe.

.View attachment 17201

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
Yes my coach has PEX but for a short distance from the OFC there is the white final rubbing and it seems big on the fittings. Some of them I can twist the tubbing around on the fittings. I already have replaced quite a few of the plastic fittings with brass but I think I want to replace all of the flex tubbing with something a little better. I bought the crimp ring tool that replaces the clamps like are on there now. I just make sure they are tighter than the original.

jnbhobe

You should use a screw type clamp on the white vinyl hose. Pex clamps are only good on Pex tubing. I don't know why Heartland uses them on the hose fittings.

57chevyconvt

I have also search for some of the white vinyl reinforce hose that is used by HL on our trailers. No luck thus far, even had the RV dealer try to locate some of this hose, no luck. I re-climped all the PEX hose clamps use on the white vinyl hose. Also replace on the PEX plastic fitting used behind the UDC with brass fittings.

krhyde

Kentucky Chapter Leaders-retired
"Have you considered PEX tubing. It is somewhat flexible and extremely durable. Will not burst even when frozen. It's used in a huge majority of new home construction. I've used it a lot and it's easy to work with. You do need a special tool to make the connections. Lowes and other big box home improvement stores carry the tubing and all the fittings. Ken"

"Doesn't your '11 LM already have Pex? If so, buy the tool to repair the fittings and move on."

I don't pick up my Key Largo until Jan.4 so I didn't realize they already use PEX. Sorry about that. If PEX tubing and fittings are applied properly, they are very reliable. Good luck getting your leak stopped and I'll be interested in how you get it fixed. Ken

porthole

Retired
You should use a screw type clamp on the white vinyl hose. Pex clamps are only good on Pex tubing. I don't know why Heartland uses them on the hose fittings.

Pex clamps can work fine on the hose, we have it on every "hose" for the water system. The key though is to use brass fittings. Using plastic fittings just doesn't make sense with the amount of pressure the clamps provide.

Many boat manufactures have gone to all PEX too.

I have also search for some of the white vinyl reinforce hose that is used by HL on our trailers. No luck thus far,

Best place for this may be a West Marine, plenty of reinforced hose and a variety of sizes.

jnbhobe

I used Shark Bite fittings when I first removed our washer supply lines. They were just caps for the Pex, but they worked just fine.

porthole

Retired
As a newbie, been following the forums in an effort to not look too bad on our first outing. No, we refuse to go to the National just so you will have someone to talk (laugh) about. WINK.

Have any of you used this type connector to go along with the Pex pipe? Sure would make connections easier in tight sport if it works good.

http://www.pexsupply.com/SharkBite-Fittings-595000?gclid=COSx_sKTiq0CFQg1hwodswjGmg

P,

Great product, and I have a few on the trailer, but they are significantly more money then standard PEX crimps and connectors.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We used the sharkbite connections/elbows/Tees when we rerouted some plumbing during our addition of heating pads. Very easy to use!

57chevyconvt

I have looked for the white vinyl hose at Lowe's, Home Depot, McCoy's, Internet, Boat Dealer, and Heartland via the RV dealer where I purchased the trailer. Still looking! I have used the Shark Bite fitting on the PEX tubing, works well but somewhat expensive. A purchased the Shark Bite fittings from Amazon.com for less money (including shipping) than Lowe's which is .2 of a mile from my home shop. The reason for still presuing the white vinyl hose is that some of the hoses behind the UDC needs this flexiability. I will continue to look for some of this hose on the websites noted in the able post.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I have looked for the white vinyl hose at Lowe's, Home Depot, McCoy's, Internet, Boat Dealer, and Heartland via the RV dealer where I purchased the trailer. Still looking! I have used the Shark Bite fitting on the PEX tubing, works well but somewhat expensive. A purchased the Shark Bite fittings from Amazon.com for less money (including shipping) than Lowe's which is .2 of a mile from my home shop. The reason for still presuing the white vinyl hose is that some of the hoses behind the UDC needs this flexiability. I will continue to look for some of this hose on the websites noted in the able post.

Jim, why not a clear 1/2" reinforced hose?

http://www.spadepot.com/shop/Reinforced-Vinyl-Tubing-12-x-25-P9393C662.aspx

rjr6150

Jim
Just a thought how about checking either a local tavern or the yellow pages under bar supplies. If memory serves me corrctly the hoses used for this application should be pretty much the same and would be food grade approved.