Veterans ID Cards

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Here's a little tidbit I picked up from an organization I belong to. Might be of interest to those who served but didn't stay to retirement.

6. Veteran's I.D. Card Act
The Veterans ID Card Act, H.R. 2985 was referred to the Subcommittee on Oversight and Investigations on October 3, 2011. While this act would not affect AMRA members per se, who possess either official DOD ID cards, or VA Healthcare identification, it will help many of our fellow veterans who miss out on discounts and special plans available to veterans on holidays.

Veterans who have served a minimum obligated time in service, but who do not meet the criteria for VA care will only have their DD214 as proof of service. This Act seeks to utilize the VA's ID card issuing facilities to create valid Veterans Identification cards. Many goods, services, and promotional activities often offered by public and private institutions to veterans are contingent upon showing proof of their veteran status, but it is impractical to always carry a DD214.

If passed, the bill would authorize ID cards to those discharged from the Armed Forces under honorable conditions; would have a photo of the veteran, and contain a special assigned ID number. They will not contain any description of benefits to which the veteran may be entitled, as do military retiree cards in the "authorized patronage" block.

Wmnmy

I like that my dd214s are fading I think I had three official copies haha hope it pass .......

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
John, Thanks. I think Floyd Philbrook was telling me about this, but it slipped my mind. Beats a dd214 for being practical to carry.

talley

Service Number...good thought. I could not tell you my driver's license (some know theirs). And sometimes I have to think twice about my SS #. But after more than 50 years the Service Number is instantly there, rapid-fire recall. They really drove it home! :)

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Service Number...good thought. But after more than 50 years the Service Number is instantly there, rapid-fire recall. They really drove it home! :)
I think that is the same with all of us. I still can call out my service number without hesitation, but I also know my SS# & DW SS#, Drivers license and DW Drivers license #'s

I like this idea. I have a number of copies of my DD-214 just to be safe.

BC

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
They just started not using the SSN on the ID Cards. They have returned to a service number after many years.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
Also There is a Website out there that you can request a new copy of a DD214. Not sure how far back they go but they will issue a new one. If anyone needs it just PM me.

talley

I think that is the same with all of us. I still can call out my service number without hesitation, but I also know my SS# & DW SS#, Drivers license and DW Drivers license #'s

I like this idea. I have a number of copies of my DD-214 just to be safe.

BC

Bob,

Have heard that a good memory is a sign of high intelligence.... now myself, I don't even remember what this thread is about!!! :confused:

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
You guys talking about multiple copies of dd214s. Food for thought, we always strongly recommended to our soldiers as they were making plans to ETS to take their 214s to the County Court House and have a copy filed at the court clerks office. Then no matter what; house burns, fades, lost, stolen, etc, you can go get a copy that is certified from the court house and not have to go back to ST Louis to get a copy. I have my DD214s, VA Disability Statement and my Will on file after I retired.

As far as the VA ID card act. Anybody with a DD214 can go to the VA and register. You may not have any service connected problems at all but you are still a veteran and they will enroll you in the system and issue you an I.D. card. You will be given a 0% and your card will not have the service connected statement, but it will still get you 10% at Lowes and other places.

My dad was drafted, spent one tour in Vietnam and discharged. Went years without ever going to the VA. About a year ago he had to take me to the VAMC ER and while we were waiting he mentioned that it would be nice to be able to get some of the discounts and other perks. After all, even though guys/gals like him only served their draft time they still served. So I convinced him to go down to the business office and talk to them while I was waiting.

The outcome was that he was put in the system, he was given a 0% disability rating, issued a I.D., is now working a agent orange claim, and can get meds and treatment from the VA on a cost share based off of his income. Not to mention the discount a Lowes which is awesome when him and I are in there enough that mom said we should have our mail forwarded there.

I was a member of the VFW long before I retired. We had a pretty good Service Officer at our post at the time (RIP) and he got me set up and going. He told me that the biggest problem is that people try to take on the VA without a rep and when they don't know the in's and out's they get hosed over. Remember they are government employees and are prone to be lazy S.O.B.'s (and I don't mean Some Other Brand). Go to the DAV, VFW, Purple Heart Assn, etc and get someone to represent you and the machine won't eat you so to speak.

I served 23 years, some served more, some served less but we all served and proud of us all because no matter what any else thinks we know that it was US AND THOSE LIKE US, that keep the devil away from the door.

Netem

When I got out in Dec. 1971 they gave me a miniture DD 214 to carry in my wallet and alot of copys. I still have my short timers bag with all my ETS papers, shot record ect. The verterans card would be nice , I can barely make out the small DD 214 even with my reading glasses. Thanks for the info.

Lou_and_Bette

Not sure this ID would be enough for some groups. Recently set up new Verizon account getting ready for full time and discovered they gave a discount on monthly service bill for veterans. The salesperson indicated I needed a copy of my DD 214, didn't matter that I had my retired ID card in my pocket, they needed a 214. Since my time was spread over 2 services, Army and AF, I have "several" DD214s. Didn't matter which one, just need one. So happened we were in Indiana visiting my wife's relatives and far from our home in Mississippi and didn't want to leave the office without having the discount set up when I remembered that I had also received the advice mentioned above to have form recorded at county clerk's office and had done my original one in the local office in 1979, never mind that I have 5 later ones, got the copy and viola, discount given.

Lou

pegmikef

You guys talking about multiple copies of dd214s. Food for thought, we always strongly recommended to our soldiers as they were making plans to ETS to take their 214s to the County Court House and have a copy filed at the court clerks office. Then no matter what; house burns, fades, lost, stolen, etc, you can go get a copy that is certified from the court house and not have to go back to ST Louis to get a copy. I have my DD214s, VA Disability Statement and my Will on file after I retired.

We have two schools of thought on this. The other thought is that it makes all that information public records so it can be accessed by others. I don't know which is true, but I keep mine in a safety deposit box to which selected relatives (e.g., daughter, wife) have access.

Wmnmy

As far as the VA ID card act. Anybody with a DD214 can go to the VA and register. You may not have any service connected problems at all but you are still a veteran and they will enroll you in the system and issue you an I.D. card. You will be given a 0% and your card will not have the service connected statement, but it will still get you 10% at Lowes and other places.

My dad was drafted, spent one tour in Vietnam and discharged. Went years without ever going to the VA. About a year ago he had to take me to the VAMC ER and while we were waiting he mentioned that it would be nice to be able to get some of the discounts and other perks. After all, even though guys/gals like him only served their draft time they still served. So I convinced him to go down to the business office and talk to them while I was waiting.

The outcome was that he was put in the system, he was given a 0% disability rating, issued a I.D., is now working a agent orange claim, and can get meds and treatment from the VA on a cost share based off of his income. Not to mention the discount a Lowes which is awesome when him and I are in there enough that mom said we should have our mail forwarded there.

I was a member of the VFW long before I retired. We had a pretty good Service Officer at our post at the time (RIP) and he got me set up and going. He told me that the biggest problem is that people try to take on the VA without a rep and when they don't know the in's and out's they get hosed over. Remember they are government employees and are prone to be lazy S.O.B.'s (and I don't mean Some Other Brand). Go to the DAV, VFW, Purple Heart Assn, etc and get someone to represent you and the machine won't eat you so to speak.

I served 23 years, some served more, some served less but we all served and proud of us all because no matter what any else thinks we know that it was US AND THOSE LIKE US, that keep the devil away from the door.
I did file mine with San Diego county recorders but I live in las Vegas so I got a few certified copies so I don't have to drive back and forth......

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
We have two schools of thought on this. The other thought is that it makes all that information public records so it can be accessed by others. I don't know which is true, but I keep mine in a safety deposit box to which selected relatives (e.g., daughter, wife) have access.

I blacked out all but the last 4 of my SSN, the rest of it who cares. Also, the VA has a digital copy of it to.

Manzan

DD214? Had to look up that one. Spent two years in the army, discharged in September, 1965, so I must have one. Can't remember. Spent my two years in NYC making training films. I do remember both of my serial numbers. Yes, two. Issued one when drafted but when I got to Ft Ord for basic, some clerk made a typo and I had a different number. Told them and was told to wait until I got to my duty station. Got there, it was tiny, and they said you keep the one you arrived with. While in basic I typed dog tags so made myself a two sets, one with each number. Still have them, but could not say which one is correct. A couple of years after I was discharged I received a letter stating that I had been using the wrong serial number and the first one I had been issued was correct. For four years there were two of us using the same serial number. Good thing neither of us got into trouble.

TeJay

The issued VA card seems to be the only card some stores will take. Two years ago HD and Lowe's always took my DD214. Last year they wouldn't take it at all. I complained but they showed me their store policy. It had to be an issued VA card (full 20 year retirement) or Hospital issued VA card and they would not accept the DD 214. AR last year for nothing would put the word Veteran at the bottom of your drivers license. I went in showed them my DD 214 and they did it. I went to HD and Lowe's for about 6 months and they accepted it. Now they won't any more. It has to be one issued from the VA. It seems that others are making forged copies of the DD 214's and other types of cards so they will only take the official one. I thought that the State issued drivers was pretty good since it's got all kinds of stuff to make it hard to duplicate. But I guess HD and Lowe's is looking for any excuse to not give us the huge 10% discount.

If anybody hears of any progress on making the card, other than going to the VA hospital, spread the word.

TeJay