Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Remote Control

1. Print this Post   #1

Remote Control

I have a Landmark Grand Canyon and would like to be able to raise or lower the front of the camper via wireless remote control from the cab of my truck. Right now there is a momentary switch on the front of the camper that controls the hydraulic pump raising or lowering the camper depending on the position the switch is held in. Has anyone done this? If so please explain.

2. Print this Post   #2
    Heartland: Director of Owners Interests jbeletti's Avatar

Here you go Jack: Zaxis Landing Gear Remote Control.

Hank installed one. Thread with pics here.

Jim
    Jim Beletti
    Director of Owner Interests
    Heartland RVs

Index of my Sundance 262 RB Modifications

Club membership is free and it's easy to join. Click here to learn more

Check out our Owner-written User Guides and Troubleshooting Guides

3. Print this Post   #3

I too did the Zaxis. It was easy to install and works as advertised.
    2006 3500RL - COOL unit, would buy again in a minute
    2000 watt Xantrex Inverter with 1000 remote panel, remote control fan,exterior CD/Radio speaker system, Goodyear Unisteel G614 tires, 2 Fantastic fans, Zaxis remote landing gear control, dual 6 volt Trojan T-105's, Toppers on all slideouts, Sharp portable AC unit

2007 Chevy Classic 3500 DRW- The Heartbeat
    Husky headache rack, 2 rear view camera, B&W turnover hitch, sprayin bedliner, AVIC/Z1 DVD navigation system, Viper remote start & alarm, Husky 5th wheel tailgate, Husky mud guards, chrome simulated wheel covers, Crossfire tire equalization system, Challanger gull wing tool box, Westin Bull bars, PIAA driving lights , Surco luggage rack

Added recently-50 gallon spare fuel tank w/ toolbox in truck bed, front 2'' hitch for bike rack, Computer tower system in 5th wheel, 2 klik clak couches, Carefree power awning arms

4. Print this Post   #4

Remote Control

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Beletti
    Here you go Jack: Zaxis Landing Gear Remote Control.

Hank installed one. Thread with pics here.

Jim
    Jim: Thank you for your reply, but the current model of Zaxis remote control does not work on the hydraulic landing gear on my Heartland Landmark Grand Canyon. Do you know of any other Remote that will work?

5. Print this Post   #5

Hi Jack,

Sorry - I had no idea of that limitation. I am not aware of other brands out there that will control your hydraulic pump.

Jim
    Jim Beletti
    Heartland RVs

6. Print this Post   #6

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Sims
    Jim: Thank you for your reply, but the current model of Zaxis remote control does not work on the hydraulic landing gear on my Heartland Landmark Grand Canyon. Do you know of any other Remote that will work?
    Curious, what makes it not compatitable with your hydraulic unit. I would assume the same unit is in most Heartlands. It is just a matter of making contact on the electrical side.
    '07 Bighorn 2925RK, 07 Dodge Ram Big Horn 3500 6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel, 6 spd auto, 540 watts solar, Tankless water heater, Centerpoint suspension,Trailair pin box http://www.progressiveindustries.net/ems_hw50c.htm
    Heartland Owner 1097

7. Print this Post   #7

Here's what Westhaver Associates say in the FAQs on their website:

Can the Zaxis be used to control my hydraulic landing gear?

Our current Zaxis, Model WAZ-30AX1 is for standard single motor 5th wheel landing gear jacks (non-hydraulic.) However, we are developing a Zaxis that is compatible with hydraulic landing gear. We will announce the new system on our website when it is released.
    Jim Beletti
    Heartland RVs

8. Print this Post   #8

Interesting, I just don't see the limitation of operating the pump motor with the unit. Obviously they make the unit and would know but it sure puzzles me.
    '07 Bighorn 2925RK, 07 Dodge Ram Big Horn 3500 6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel, 6 spd auto, 540 watts solar, Tankless water heater, Centerpoint suspension,Trailair pin box http://www.progressiveindustries.net/ems_hw50c.htm
    Heartland Owner 1097

9. Print this Post   #9

Hello to all,

The Zaxis as you have discovered, is designed to operate only single motor electric landing gear systems. I'll try to explain why the current Zaxis cannot control your hydraulic landing gear system.

The differences between the single motor landing gear systems and the hydraulic landing gear systems are:

1) The single motor landing gear systems only require that you reverse the polarity of the power applied to the motor to extend or retract the landing gear. The power to drive the landing gear motor is passed through the OEM landing gear rocker switch and then to the landing gear motor. The OEM rocker switch in this scenario is both a power handler and a controller.

2) The hydraulic landing gear systems typically share a single hydraulic drive pump with the slide-outs and so one or more blocking valves must be installed to route the hydraulic pressure to the appropriate system (landing gear, bedroom slide-out, living room slide-out etc.) The OEM rocker switch in this scenario is only a controller. The power (and power reversal) is handled by a solenoid typically mounted directly to the hydraulic pump.

We do however have a system that can control your hydraulic landing gear. Our Maxis Unified Control System and Remote Control was designed to control both single motor landing gear systems and hydraulic landing gear systems. In fact the Maxis can control virtually any RV accessory. We accomplished this by separating the control and power handling functions. The Maxis itself is the controller and our M-Point modules are the power handlers. By combining the Maxis with the appropriate M-Point module, you can control any RV accessory.

The Maxis control panel understands how to do only two things:
    1) Select a device to be controlled (via the LCD display menu.)

2) Signal the selected device to perform either a positive or negative action. The positive or negative action can be extending or retracting a slide-out, raising or lowering the landing gear, turning a light On or Off etc.

The M-Point modules understand how to do only two things:
    1) Control the power for a specific type of accessory.

2) Respond to a signal from the Maxis control panel.
    Having said all of the above, we are currently working on a second generation Zaxis that will use the same technology employed by our Maxis. The second generation Zaxis will be able to control any RV accessory just like the Maxis but it will have a less sophisticated package (no LCD menu system and no local control buttons) and will be limited to controlling a maximum of 2 RV accessories. However, this system may be all that you need if you want to control only your hydraulic landing gear and your slide-outs. The release date for the new Zaxis hasn't been determined yet.

I hope this was helpful to you in understanding our Zaxis and Maxis systems and their capabilities.

Wes Westhaver
    443-538-7819
    Westhaver Associates, Inc.
    Recreational Vehicle Products
    http://www.westhaverassociates.com

10. Print this Post   #10

Screwed up our Slideout

When I deployed our slide out using the rocker style switch by the hydraulic motor, the Door Side slide out had interference with the door that on the opposite side of the sink. It nearly ripped off that door and did $1200 worth of damage to the door and the exterior of the unit. I would personally think twice before doing the remote control.
    Nikki & Harry
    2008 Ford F-350 CC King Ranch, AmericanTank,
    2007 3055 RL vin # 5151, Onan 5500LP & Splendide 2100

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast