Anyone going to the Marvac Camper and RV Show in Novi, MI?

ihsolutions

I've been to probably the last 8 or so MARVAC shows in Novi. This is the biggest one in Michigan, if I'm not mistaken. There are definitely some smaller ones in Battle Creek, Birch Run, etc.

Heartland usually has reps there (Tim Caufman for Big Horn/Landmark and probably another guy for Cyclone,etc. You can find them at the General RV area, which, is about 70% of the space at the show.

Last few times out, there hasn't been much Heartland product offered. Usually two Big Horns, a Landmark (at another dealer) and a Toy Hauler. I can't recall the last time I saw a Heartland TT there.

bowhunt73

Thanks for the info. I haven't been to the Marvac show in a long time. I don't remember a lot of Heartland products. G-RV owns most of the shows around here that's for sure. We've been looking for a new camper for years and we finally found a layout that had 99% of what we wanted. It will be nice to go to a show without looking to buy and just look around. I think we are going to go get a sitter and get out of the house. Take care.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I'll probably end up there, possibly on Friday. I like to look and take pictures of stuff. Maybe see what accessory vendors are around.

bowhunt73

Sounds like a good idea JohnDar. I'll be looking at the aftermarket vendors too. I need some type of stabilization for my fifth wheel. I was looking at JT strongarms. Been looking at and reading the forums on the expensive solutions (level up and the others mentioned on this forum), but I'm a coulple years out from speding that $$. Someone told me to put on slide toppers. Still deciding.... I also must come up with a bike rack solution by spring. That is one item that I just can't understand why we aren't allowed to mod the bumper / frame due to the warranty. I need to take 5 bikes...maybe two can go in the bed of the truck but I don't like that.

JohnDar

There are a couple of stabilizer options out there, all along the same idea as the JT Stabilizers. Prices vary. I put the Ultra-Fab Eliminators on mine and they do a fine job. As for Lippert's Level-Up, there are after-market alternatives to that, as well, both hydraulic and electric.

Bike racks are still a problem, though. Especially for those of us without rear bumpers. But with only two bikes to move, I've been known to use a clean plastic tarp on the bed, remove the front tires so the handle bars lay flat (makes them easier to carry inside), and transport them that way.

bowhunt73

Thanks. I'll look at the Ultra-Fab Eliminators. I haven't priced anything yet. Hopefully they'll have some of these vendors at the show. I've put a couple bikes back there and put a strap on each one. Yes, the front wheel removed helps. I worry about the sprocket or any other part hitting one of my air bags on my hitch. I'm just going to have to do something back there on the bumper. I'm going to call Lippert and ask them what I can do just so that I can say that I called them personally and then document it. I've read all the postings and heard the stories about Heartland and Lippert with regards to mods on the frame and so on, but I really don't have a choice. Alright, have fun on Friday if you make the show. Don't know when we are going yet.

ihsolutions

I went to the Novi show today when it opened.

This show has steadily gotten smaller in the past several years. This show was different. It was probably 40-50% bigger than last year and featured different dealers and units than I had seen before.

If you are going to the show to look at Heartland products, you will be severely disappointed. There were two new Bighorns, one Big Country, and a Cyclone. I saw no North Trail, Landmark, Elkridge, Sundance, etc, etc.

Keystone, K-Z, and Forest River dominated the show. That's General RV for you. Despite being a Heartland dealer, for some reason they sure don't seem eager to sell them.

There was NOTHING at the show that even came close to the features, quality, and amentities of my 2011 Big Horn. Some folks were gushing over the Jayco Pinnacle, I had to educate them a bit on what makes a good unit. The Jayco had electric front landing gear, for crying out loud. In their flagship units? Then there's the new Heartland units, which in my humble opinion have been victim to a bit of cost cutting. It hurts to say that, because I wonder how I'll convince myself that it's ever time to upgrade. They look nice, but for now I'll keep mine. Besides, I think I've finally got all the bugs worked out!

Oh, and Heartland is STILL putting a screw through the center of the track on the neo-angle shower doors. Despite everyone knowing, from the rally, that this is a no-no that leads to leaks and water damage. I was more than a little disappointed to see this.

JohnDar

A timely report, Jeff. I was planning on going tomorrow, but maybe I'll pass on it. Got other stuff I could be doing besides not seeing new Heartland products. Other maybe than MorRyde, is there any other vendor there worth looking at?

ihsolutions

John, it was mostly all the usual suspects. Area campgrounds, Gutter Guard, and of course General RV's big parts booth which had some decent deals going. Nothing to justify the cost of parking and admittance though.

What I found most irritating, besides the lack of Heartland products, was the lack of high end fifth wheels. No DRV, Landmark, and in fact, I think the two Bighorns were probably the highest end fivers they had at the show. I'm not counting the overpriced Jayco Pinnacle, either. Quite a few mid-level fifth wheels in the $35k price range, and of course, a nice selection of "half-ton towable" fivers, which is good for a laugh.

JohnDar

Thanks, Jeff. You've saved me from a long drive and a disappointing afternoon. Looks like I'll be ripping carpet and starting the landing hardwood flooring project today, instead. Teaching a confined space class this morning, first.

Could be they're targeting the demographic pocket-books of the area with lower end RV's this year to try to generate some sales.

tcbrady

Hi Jeff,
the Heartland team is also disappointed that there are not more Heartland units in the Novi show. We pushed our dealer (National RV Detroit) to take in Landmark product but they wanted to show more entry level units as they were tight on space. There are 3 North Trail units on display (Lloyd Bridges RV) along with 6 Wilderness units (McDowell and Tri-City).

It a big show weekend for Heartland this weekend. In addition to Novi, we have product on display in the following major shows:

Edmonton, AB Canada
Richmond, VA (I will be attending this show)
Houston, TX
Minneapolis, MN
Jacksonville, FL
Seattle, WA

Lastly, we are checking the units on the production line to make sure there is not a screw through the center of the track on the neo-angle shower. Thanks for bringing this to our attention!

ihsolutions

Thanks Coley for responding to this thread. I apologize for my earlier statement that there were no North Trails. Obviously I was mistaken, though I walked down every aisle twice. Oops!

Heartland rocks. I just wish our local dealers pushed the product a little more. Before I bought my Big Horn, I went to General RV a number of times (various locations) and each time I asked about Big Horn/Big Country, I got the response "well you oughta take a look at this Montana/Everest over here!".

I later learned that part of this was because General RV is not a Big Country dealer.

JohnDar

I also noticed that another HL dealer, International RV, was not on the vendor listing.

ihsolutions

Was International there last time? I know that's a hike for them, and I don't recall them before. Though, someone over on the east wall had a Landmark, and maybe it was them. Or National RV. One of those two, for sure.

JohnDar

Was International there last time? I know that's a hike for them, and I don't recall them before. Though, someone over on the east wall had a Landmark, and maybe it was them. Or National RV. One of those two, for sure.

I think they were, but I didn't go last year. The previous year they had two or three aisles and I found our saleswoman from General was now working for them (she was there). Ran into her again, last summer, when I stopped at their Gaylord dealership for some stuff. International's main store is in Bay City, I think.