Disc Brake Conversion Tutoral

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Well I finally got off my butt and posted my brake conversion on You Tube.
I know that some people have been waiting to see this......sorry it took so long.

Peace
Dave

loafer

Hey Dave
That was worth the wait you almost look like you know what you are doing LOL
Well done and very informative. So when you going to start doing that at the rallies now that you know all the pitfalls you could start your own bussiness.
thanks for taking the time to do the video
Bill

jimtoo

Hey Dave,,, That is a great instructional video of your disc brake install... Thanks for your help to others.

Jim M

hoefler

Looking at the components, it looks like you can run oil bath instead of packing the bearings.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
If you see a BH3670 behind a red GMC 3500 sitting in front of your house, that'll be me. I'll bring my own lunch. Great video instructions. Almost makes me want to attempt it.

brianharrison

Very nice. Thank you.

BTW - camera operator credit goes to Mary? I also like the "magical" pump on, bleed brakes, pump off, while you are contorted under the trailer turning the bleed zerk - knowledgable wingman are a must, :).

PS. I'm curious. I think I see two pots on the caliper - do you recommend bleeding top or bottom pot first? I have had conflicting instructions on other brands - two different Brembo set ups on two different vehicles.

Take care,
Brian

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
PS. I'm curious. I think I see two pots on the caliper - do you recommend bleeding top or bottom pot first? I have had conflicting instructions on other brands - two different Brembo set ups on two different vehicles.

Take care,
Brian
Yes there are two bleed valves. It was recomended by Kodiak that the top one be used. Since air bubbles rise it made sense to me.

Peace
Dave

RAHanock

Dave,
Thanks for the video - great job. I had the same brakes put on my Sundance in Sept. They work far better than the "grease filled" drum brakes on our new unit. However, I notice that there is a time delay of about 2 to 2.5 sec. between peddle push and sensed braking. Do you notice this delay? Any thoughts as to cause and solution?

Thanks,

Last edited:

jnbhobe

Reed; one of the reasons for the 1/4 in brake lines is to shorten the delay time. I don't think I have hardly a second of delay, and I think Daves is the same way. Jon

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Dave,
I notice that these is a time delay of about 2 to 2.5 sec. between peddle push and sensed braking. Do you notice this delay? Any thoughts as to cause and solution?

Thanks,

Actually I do have a thought on your brake lag. Check to see what size brake lines they used an how far they ran them.
If they used 3/16" lines all or most of the way that will cause a lag time.
I ran 1/4 all the way from the actuator to the area right above the wheels. I used 3/16 only for about 3 feet from a T to the calipers.
I have no delay when I hit the brakes.

Peace
Dave

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
Dave,

Very well done. you made it look so simple - I may go with Disc breaks but I'm on the fence on combining it with a IS upgrade... Time and Bank account will tell ...

Thanks for the effort in documenting the upgrade.

Kevin

Flying Dutchman

Virginia Chapter Leaders - Retired
Dave,
Great instructional video, it looked like a professional production. You have given me the confidence that I could install disk brakes on my BC, so that job has been added to the "list". Many thanks.