TST 507 model Tpms batteries and o-rings

porthole

Retired
Thought I'd start a separate post here for future searches.
Out of my 10 sensors that I received last year at the June rally, I have one that is not transmitting.

Took it apart and the battery is dead.
When taking it apart to check the battery the o-ring fell apart, about 5 pieces.

Called TST, was told that is to be expected.
They are sending me 10 o-rings at no charge (I want to change all the batteries).

So keep that in mind, get your required amount of o-rings in advance if you don't want to be stuck waiting.

And, I found batteries at a reasonable cost on eBay. 10 batteries for $10.45 shipped.

ENERGIZER CR1632 1632 LITHIUM BATTERIES

Last edited:

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Re: TST 507 model Tpms battereis and o-rings

So far, every time I've replaced one of the original batteries, the o-ring has come out in pieces. I guess they must just dry out after a while. I couldn't believe how much the replacement o-rings will stretch when putting them on. At first, i looked at how small they are and thought they would never fit but they do. They must be a special material.

archbarb

Before I ordered mine, I had read about the o-ring problem. I voiced my concern when I ordered, and they are sending me extra's just in case!!!!!

Archie

camr

I have always had good luck with O-rings by applying a thin coating of silicone grease to the ring. It helps with the sealing and seems to keep them from drying out. The proper grease will look clear to opaque white and should not have any petroleum products in it. Give it a try.
Cam

porthole

Retired

Before I ordered mine, I had read about the o-ring problem. I voiced my concern when I ordered, and they are sending me extra's just in case!!!!!

Archie

I guess if you think about it, one time use o-rings means you will always be using a fresh o-ring and sealing will not be an issue, as long as you install it correctly.

I suppose in the long run, supplying customers with an annual shipment of o-rings at new charge is cheaper then replacing failed sensors under warranty.

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired

Duane,

What type of sensor do you have? The external ones or internal ones? I am looking into buying TST but not sure which way I want to go?

Ray LeTourneau

I have always had good luck with O-rings by applying a thin coating of silicone grease to the ring. It helps with the sealing and seems to keep them from drying out. The proper grease will look clear to opaque white and should not have any petroleum products in it. Give it a try.
Cam
Good Idea! I wonder if plumbers lube will have the same result. I'll have to look at the tube for content info.

porthole

Retired

I would use whatever the manufacturer recommends.
And absent of any recommendation, if I was to use a lube, it would be food grade silicone.

Using the silicone the best way is a "very small" dab between thumb and index finger, rub it around to just barely a film, then work the o-ring till it just has a coating. This o-ring is rather small and thin.
I would think from past experience of using silicone grease in various SCUBA applications, you are looking for an application where the o-ring looks "wet" and has no clumps of grease.

Too much grease can force the ring out of position as you tighten the cap.

Duane,

What type of sensor do you have? The external ones or internal ones? I am looking into buying TST but not sure which way I want to go?

I am using the 507 model with the screw on external sensors. I have not seen the internal version yet.
And, if the internal versions are the same price at $50 each, adding the cost at a tire shop to install, I think I will be passing.

For me, I use the trailer sensors on two different trailers, so internals would not help there.
The truck would be a different story if they were reasonably priced.
I currently leave the sensors on the wheels most of the time. Especially helpful with the rear wheels.

Vtxkid

Duane, just ordered the batteries myself from your link to Ebay... Seams like a good deal and as you said, no shipping charge to boot! Now, guess I better call TST and pick up some orings too. Thanks for the heads up!

porthole

Retired

Got my o-rings - sure makes me wonder how this job is going to go.

Attachments

• o-rings_2.JPG
    o-rings_2.JPG
    86.3 KB · Views: 154

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired

Better get your small screwdriver out! Let us know how it works out for you. I have that item on my wish list.

Ray LeTourneau

Got my o-rings - sure makes me wonder how this job is going to go.
Tiny little buggers aren't they? They will stretch though. A jewelers screwdriver helps get things "rolling". Careful, those tiny screws will strip the threads in the plastic body very easily.

porthole

Retired

I don't use the security caps. Took them off right away, makes it way too difficult to use on DRW's

I have a few different picks for o-rings, one with a small hook on the end will probably do OK.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Thought I'd start a separate post here for future searches.
Out of my 10 sensors that I received last year at the June rally, I have one that is not transmitting.

Took it apart and the battery is dead.
When taking it apart to check the battery the o-ring fell apart, about 5 pieces.

Called TST, was told that is to be expected.
They are sending me 10 o-rings at no charge (I want to change all the batteries).

So keep that in mind, get your required amount of o-rings in advance if you don't want to be stuck waiting.

And, I found batteries at a reasonable cost on eBay. 10 batteries for $10.45 shipped.

10 ENERGIZER CR1632 1632 LITHIUM BATTERIES

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170593320478

10 Battreries for $10.45. Free shipping. Arrived in 2 days. Awesome!!

Thanks Duane.

Sounds like a great deal.
What is the expiration date on the batteries?

Hockster

======================================================================================================================================

happykraut

Just received my batteries from Ebay. 5 for $5.25 with free shipping. Took the first one apart and found the O ring undamaged. Would you leave well enough alone, or replace it anyway? The expiration date is 2022. Thanks.

Vtxkid

If inspection of the o-ring showed no tears or damage, you could reuse it. I apply a slight bit of vaseline to the o-ring before reinstalling the cap.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

porthole

Retired
The o-rings are free from TST, just for the asking.
They are designed to be a one time use, I would not re-use it.

Ray LeTourneau

Good luck with them E-bay batteries. I've had several different type batteries from different vendors that don't last. I even bought a Sony brand rechargeable camera battery that has shorter life than the Original. Just my opinion, I'll not buy any more batteries through the Internet.

wdk450

I found the batteries for my Tire Trak sensors (I think it is the same part #) in the JEWLERY/WATCH section of my local WalMart for a reasonable price.
Most hardware stores have a supply of lots of sizes of O rings.