Truck Bed Cover question

ericandalice

Senior Question Asker
I tried doing a forum search (like I always do) but for some reason the suggestions that came back didn't have anything to do with my search.

Anyway. I'm wondering about the truck bed covers. I know I don't want the hard top, but i like the roll up kind. Don't love or hate the snap on kind.

My question is, do you have a truck bed cover? Do you find it useful? What kind do you have or would you recommend? Thanks.

~Alice

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I have a Truxedo. It rolls up, attaches with Velcro and is inexpensive.

Peace
Dave

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Mine's a Laredo soft roll up. Attaches along the sides with velcro and two straps at the front of the bed when rolled up. Foam pipe insulation around the metal support tubes helps cut down flapping in the wind.

Speedy

Truxedo Deuce. Rolls up like a standard cover but the front third can open allowing access to a tool box or fuel tank. Cover keeps out all of nature's junk and keeps our hitch clean. Hides generator nicely as well.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
I have an Advanced Folding cover. Hard surface lightweight but folds up out of the way. Easy to remove if you want the entire bed available.
front quarter folds to the rear for access to the front part of the bed. Rear 3/4 fan-folds on to the front 1/4. Lockable.

http://www.advancedfoldingcover.com

danemayer

I have a Backflip G2. Hard cover with 4 segments that fold up. The cover is locked by the tailgate and doesn't require an extra key.

lduguay

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
I have the Laredo rollup velcro style and love it! Had the snap version on another truck....hated it!!!

When unhooked, my hitch and aux fuel tank are under "wraps" and protected from the weather. Whatever "cover" you get....it IS "useful".

JohnDar, please "splain" the use of foam pipe insulation on support tubes.......I haven't noticed any flapping issues, but interested......maybe a pic??
Anmache-sexy.jpg

micar

I have the Jack Rabbit retractable hard cover,locks, and if I flip the release handle on my hitch I can close the cover to keep things dry and secure...Down side is you lose about 18" at the front of the box.
Mike

Urban350

I have a Paragon truck bed cover and would not recomend it to anybody, somewhat poor fit and scratches easy especialy when folded against the front of the truck. I should have spent more money and got something like a Roll-N-Lock.

jnbhobe

I have an Advanced Folding cover. Hard surface lightweight but folds up out of the way. Easy to remove if you want the entire bed available.
front quarter folds to the rear for access to the front part of the bed. Rear 3/4 fan-folds on to the front 1/4. Lockable.

http://www.advancedfoldingcover.com

I have the advance cover too, Its my fourth one, I had this one built special with a tool box in front over my extra fuel tank. Good product.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
I have the advance cover too, Its my fourth one, I had this one built special with a tool box in front over my extra fuel tank. Good product.
This is my 2nd one. Did Advance build the custom cover for you?
I like that Advance made their parts available too.

gebills

I also have a Paragon truck bed cover, and as previously stated by another member, I would not recommend this cover due to marginal hardware quality, questionable attachment and, yes, it does scratch easily. What I do like about the Paragon it that it folds forward and doesn't retain moisture like a rolled up soft cover. I also appreciate that fact that I can lock the back end up. On a truck many years back, I had a soft roll-up style tonneau cover held on by velcro and snaps, and although it served me well for over 100,000 miles, I was always nervous about it's venerability to a knife yielding no-mind. I appreciate the hard-top style of the Paragon, but still feel I could have done better with a different brand. Good luck with your search. GBills

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Truxedo Low profile. It's about 8 years old and finally beginning to show some signs of it's age. A little cracking of the vinyl in the first area where it rolls back. The main problem I've had is the frame rails interfere with the rear of the pin box on tight backing maneuvers but I believe it's because of the long jaw Trail Air Pin. Those having the short jaw don't seem to have the same problem.

Peteandsharon

I've got the Retrax also. Love it with two caveats. First the box that the cover rolls up into takes up a chunk of the bed space. So the short bed length becomes even shorter. The other thing is that it leaks from the area of the tailgate. So I can't put things directly on the bed that can't get wet. Things that I want to keep dry have to be protected because the bed floor can get wet. But..... you can't beat the convenience of just rolling away the cover when you want to carry something too tall for the cover. Years ago I had one of the fiberglass trunklike covers. Went up and down. Kept it drier but couldn't carry nearly as much cargo.

Vtxkid

Truxedo Low profile. It's about 8 years old and finally beginning to show some signs of it's age. A little cracking of the vinyl in the first area where it rolls back. The main problem I've had is the frame rails interfere with the rear of the pin box on tight backing maneuvers but I believe it's because of the long jaw Trail Air Pin. Those having the short jaw don't seem to have the same problem.
I have the same cover as Ray. This is my third truck and I liked the truxedo Low QT profile so much I bought the same cover for all three... I also have had a slight problem with pin box contact on this truck but a slight mod and all is good!.

MC9

Haven't seen my Extang mentioned yet. Fits my long bed with tool box. Highly recommended. Ann Arbor, MI.