Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Tow Max Problems

1. Print this Post   #1

Tow Max Problems

We have a 2011 Big Country 3250 with Power King Towmax ST235/80R/16 tires. Both tires on the rear axle have separated belts and the tire on the left side is much worse than the one on the right. It has heavy wear on the inside of the tire and I don't know if that was caused by the belt separating or not. I want to replace all of the tires but i don't know what to buy. It seams as though many of you use the GY G614 but it appears to be a truck tire not a trailer tire and I understand there is a difference in sidewall construction between a LT and a ST tire. Is there an up grade from the Towmax that is not as expensive as the G614's? I have aluminum rims that are rated for 110 PSI. Thanks in advance. Steve
    Steven and Ann
    Havin Fun!
    2011 Big Country 3250
    2008 Chevy Duramax Crew 4x4

2. Print this Post   #2
    Senior Member - Past Moderator Ray LeTourneau's Avatar

Re: Tow Max Problems

Steven, the Goodyear G614 is an ST tire. It is probably your best choice in that load range. You might check, but I think I remember hearing Maxxis has come out with a Load Range E tire that will fit your needs and probably at less cost. Others have had good results using the Michelin LT's.
    Ray & Lin
    R.I.P. Suzi
    R.I.P Bart

3. Print this Post   #3
    Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret) boatto5er's Avatar

The G614 came from the factory on ours. It is definitely a trailer tire.

Gus and Debra Funderburg (Founding Virginia, Maryland, and North Carolina Chapter Leaders - Retired)
    Romeo and Juliet (the mischievous Dachshunds)
    2011 Landmark Grand Canyon (Code name - The Landmark Diner)
    HOC #1054
    2019 Ford F-350 DRW Crew Cab, 6.7L PowerStroke

4. Print this Post   #4
    Past Washington Chapter Leaders SJH's Avatar

Hello!

I have searched and searched for a G rated tire which is less expensive but still reliable without much success. The 614's are about the best choice (IMHO) in a 16 inch tire. When I emailed Goodyear about the 614's this was their reply...The Goodyear G614 RST is classified as a Commercial/RV Tire and is only
    available in LT (Light Truck) sizes."

Steve & AnaLyn
    2007.5 LMM Chevy Silverado D/A
    Prodigy
    TST TPMS
    2010 Electra-Glide Classic Red Hot Sunglo

5. Print this Post   #5
    Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret) boatto5er's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SJH View Post
    Hello!

I have searched and searched for a G rated tire which is less expensive but still reliable without much success. The 614's are about the best choice (IMHO) in a 16 inch tire. When I emailed Goodyear about the 614's this was their reply...The Goodyear G614 RST is classified as a Commercial/RV Tire and is only
    available in
    LT (Light Truck) sizes."

The keys words here are RV Tire and Light Truck Sizes. So, it can go on your RV (5th Wheel trailer for instance - hence the RST classification) and it comes in what are normally considered Light Truck sizes. Goodyear makes the G670 specifically for Motor Homes/Class A RVs and the G614 for RV trailer applications.

Gus and Debra Funderburg (Founding Virginia, Maryland, and North Carolina Chapter Leaders - Retired)
    Romeo and Juliet (the mischievous Dachshunds)
    2011 Landmark Grand Canyon (Code name - The Landmark Diner)
    HOC #1054
    2019 Ford F-350 DRW Crew Cab, 6.7L PowerStroke

6. Print this Post   #6
    Perfict Senior Member westxsrt10's Avatar

The Maxxis E rated tire is a upgrade in quality and is the exact size as OEM. The GY 614g is the next step up from a Maxxis E, the GY is about 1" taller so check clearances, G rating is a plus. The cost differance per set should be around $400 +/-.
    09 Sundance XLT 287RL, (SOLD and missed)
    08 Ford F-250 CC Lariat 4x4 V10, FS air bags, SCT tunes @5StarTuning.com
    10 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Crew Cab
    08 Dodge Viper coupe SRT-10
    2014 Fleetwood Storm 32H with 2014 Jeep Patriot toad.

7. Print this Post   #7

Some of the tire dealers will match price, from anyone anywhere. This was the case with Discount Tire Co. when I purchase my set (5 tires) of GY G614's. I went on the Internet and found favorable pricing (including freight) and presented this information to the local Discount Tire Co. As a result, I was able to buy the set of five tires for the price originally quoted for four tires. Worked for me.
    Jim & Angy Hutt
    2010 Bighorn - 3410RE
    2003 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab 2WD, 5.9 Diesel, 6 spd. manual trans, 3.73 axle, SMARTY Programmer, Reese 18K Signature hitch, aux. fuel tank.

Texas Chapter Rally - Canton, TX Oct. 2011 & Oct. 2013

8. Print this Post   #8

No problem with running a load range E LT truck tire. Compare them side by side and you will notice a big difference in the sidewall thickness. The ST tires a like a bicycle tire in comparison. Countless people are using an LT tire on their rigs with excellent results. I have a set of B.F. Goodrich Commercial TAs on mine. They are 235/85/16 Load Range E. They fit about one inch closer together. My X Chocks work just fine. I have over 10,000 trouble free miles so far and they are wearing great. My total axle weight on my 3250 loaded is around 8800# so there is plenty of reserve capacity with this tire and not being an ST rated tire I can travel as fast as I want with them. They are not just rated up to 65mph. You should be able to find these or a similar major brand LT tire in this size for around $650-700 installed. You won't be sorry if you try them. I would watch the unusual wear pattern on the tire that's wearing on the inside. Even with those junk tires it can be an indication of an alignment problem. That can easily be corrected at a Heavy duty truck trailer alignment place. RV dealers do not usually have the right equipment for this and will just sell you a new axle $$$. An alignment should be in the $100-150. range. I would buy these tires again in a heartbeat. They were the first thing I bought for this trailer when it was new. I sold the old TowMax China Bombs to some farmer for a wagon or whatever and got a few bucks out of them....Don
    Don & Kathy, Daisy Mae the rescue pup.
    She drives...He sits behind the steering wheel
    2016 SOB
    2015 Chev D/A 3500 Dually

9. Print this Post   #9
    Past Washington Chapter Leaders SJH's Avatar

If you have 6000lb axles some have had good luck with the Hankook F19...not a mainstream tire but has a good reputation from what I can gather. They are a Korean company. As for those of us with 7000lb axles, not many options!
    Steve & AnaLyn
    2007.5 LMM Chevy Silverado D/A
    Prodigy
    TST TPMS
    2010 Electra-Glide Classic Red Hot Sunglo

10. Print this Post   #10

Ok, next question. I found Goodyear Marathon ST 235/80R16 10PR BSL on line. Does anyone know anything about them? Thanks Steve
    Steven and Ann
    Havin Fun!
    2011 Big Country 3250
    2008 Chevy Duramax Crew 4x4

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast