Tow Max Problems

We have a 2011 Big Country 3250 with Power King Towmax ST235/80R/16 tires. Both tires on the rear axle have separated belts and the tire on the left side is much worse than the one on the right. It has heavy wear on the inside of the tire and I don't know if that was caused by the belt separating or not. I want to replace all of the tires but i don't know what to buy. It seams as though many of you use the GY G614 but it appears to be a truck tire not a trailer tire and I understand there is a difference in sidewall construction between a LT and a ST tire. Is there an up grade from the Towmax that is not as expensive as the G614's? I have aluminum rims that are rated for 110 PSI. Thanks in advance. Steve

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Steven, the Goodyear G614 is an ST tire. It is probably your best choice in that load range. You might check, but I think I remember hearing Maxxis has come out with a Load Range E tire that will fit your needs and probably at less cost. Others have had good results using the Michelin LT's.

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
Hello!

I have searched and searched for a G rated tire which is less expensive but still reliable without much success. The 614's are about the best choice (IMHO) in a 16 inch tire. When I emailed Goodyear about the 614's this was their reply...The Goodyear G614 RST is classified as a Commercial/RV Tire and is only
available in LT (Light Truck) sizes."

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Hello!

I have searched and searched for a G rated tire which is less expensive but still reliable without much success. The 614's are about the best choice (IMHO) in a 16 inch tire. When I emailed Goodyear about the 614's this was their reply...The Goodyear G614 RST is classified as a Commercial/RV Tire and is only
available in
LT (Light Truck) sizes."

The keys words here are RV Tire and Light Truck Sizes. So, it can go on your RV (5th Wheel trailer for instance - hence the RST classification) and it comes in what are normally considered Light Truck sizes. Goodyear makes the G670 specifically for Motor Homes/Class A RVs and the G614 for RV trailer applications.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
The Maxxis E rated tire is a upgrade in quality and is the exact size as OEM. The GY 614g is the next step up from a Maxxis E, the GY is about 1" taller so check clearances, G rating is a plus. The cost differance per set should be around $400 +/-.

57chevyconvt

Some of the tire dealers will match price, from anyone anywhere. This was the case with Discount Tire Co. when I purchase my set (5 tires) of GY G614's. I went on the Internet and found favorable pricing (including freight) and presented this information to the local Discount Tire Co. As a result, I was able to buy the set of five tires for the price originally quoted for four tires. Worked for me.

GOTTOYS

No problem with running a load range E LT truck tire. Compare them side by side and you will notice a big difference in the sidewall thickness. The ST tires a like a bicycle tire in comparison. Countless people are using an LT tire on their rigs with excellent results. I have a set of B.F. Goodrich Commercial TAs on mine. They are 235/85/16 Load Range E. They fit about one inch closer together. My X Chocks work just fine. I have over 10,000 trouble free miles so far and they are wearing great. My total axle weight on my 3250 loaded is around 8800# so there is plenty of reserve capacity with this tire and not being an ST rated tire I can travel as fast as I want with them. They are not just rated up to 65mph. You should be able to find these or a similar major brand LT tire in this size for around $650-700 installed. You won't be sorry if you try them. I would watch the unusual wear pattern on the tire that's wearing on the inside. Even with those junk tires it can be an indication of an alignment problem. That can easily be corrected at a Heavy duty truck trailer alignment place. RV dealers do not usually have the right equipment for this and will just sell you a new axle $$$. An alignment should be in the $100-150. range. I would buy these tires again in a heartbeat. They were the first thing I bought for this trailer when it was new. I sold the old TowMax China Bombs to some farmer for a wagon or whatever and got a few bucks out of them....Don

SJH

If you have 6000lb axles some have had good luck with the Hankook F19...not a mainstream tire but has a good reputation from what I can gather. They are a Korean company. As for those of us with 7000lb axles, not many options!

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Be sure to contact TBC Tire and send them pictures, ask for a reimbursment for your new ones. They sent us a check for two of ours, deemed defective, last fall. (Tires were dated 09/09).

We replaced all 5 with Maxxis, but only because our rims can't handle the psi of the GY.

SJH

Here is my brand new Goodyear Marathon (previous rig) with only 400 miles on it! It was a 15 inch D rated. Marathons were manufactured in the USA for many years and then moved to China. Some were even made in Canada I think. But...I would definietly take the Maxxis over the Marathon!

wdk450

Steven:
On the left side of the Portal page is contact info for Tredit tire, Heartland's tire supplier. You may want to call them about warranty credit towards the G614's.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Steven:
On the left side of the Portal page is contact info for Tredit tire, Heartland's tire supplier. You may want to call them about warranty credit towards the G614's.

Bill, I think Tredit directed me to TBC, the manufacturer. But yes, try them first.

Erika

Gaffer

The Marathon has a lousy reputation. If you don't want to spend the $ for the G614's, go woth the Maxxis. I have seen a few posts about G614 issues but never a bad post about the Maxxis.

TireHobby

Here is a little bit of information that may help in your tire selection.

The ST235/80R16E Towmax tires are rated at 3520# at 80 psi. Both the GY Marathon and Maxxix 8008 sized ST235/80R16E are rated at 3420# at 80 psi.

Here is the reference for the GY G614.

http://www.goodyear.com/cfmx/web/truck/line.cfm?prodline=160007

Here are some other 16” LRG tires from somewhere off shore. Very wide price selection. Of them the Sailun has the best reputation.

http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop....ad+Range+G&Marke=&ranzahl=4&suchen=View+tires

TireHobby

DW_Gray

Just a side note. Consider TireRack.com for your purchase. Even with shipping charges to my local installer, no local business could beat or match their price.

SJH

Just a side note. Consider TireRack.com for your purchase. Even with shipping charges to my local installer, no local business could beat or match their price.

Ah yes...but the local installer may not do the work or will probably put you on the end of the job list! :D ( Sorry, couldn't resist)

DW_Gray

Ah yes...but the local installer may not do the work or will probably put you on the end of the job list! :D ( Sorry, couldn't resist)

Sorry Steve, that's not entirely true. TireRack.com has working agreements with several major tire dealers. My tires were shipped to and installed by Big-O Tires. Big-O even sold me their Road Hazard Plan. I saved nearly $200.00.

gpshemi

I feel your pain. I was going through this yesterday myself. Pulled the Cyclone up to the house this past weekend to unwinterize it and saw this...
TCB acts like they've never seen this before and insists I take it to a tire store to evaluate it. I'm afraid to drive it the 20 miles to the store for evaluation frankly.

20120507_074017.jpg20120507_074000.jpg20120507_073925.jpg

Been looking at tires, but I don't know what to buy now. G614's will require 110psi wheels that I don't have. I read the Cyclone wheels are only good to 80psi. I can't afford those anyway right now.
Not risking Marathons. I love my Hankook RF10's on my truck, but know nothing about their F19's. Looking at GY Commercial TA's (LT's @ $172 ea) or Maxxis 8008's (ST's @ $191 ea) I guess.