Security Cameras

ericandalice

Senior Question Asker
I'm not sure where to put this, but I thought someone here might have an answer.

We bought an external security camera for our Big Country but we're unsure where and how to attach it to the coach. It comes with a mounting bracket but the idea of drilling holes into the rig scares me.

Has anyone out there added a security camera? Can you gives us and tips or pointers?

Thanks!
Alice

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
Not sure I would feel comfortable putting holes in it either. Where do you plan to view with it?

danemayer

I drilled into the rear end cap up high to run an antenna cable into the rear entertainment center overhead cabinets. Drew a diagram and measured about 8 times before actually drilling. From the feel while drilling, and while running the cable, I think I was going through the overhanging rubber rooftop material. Other than that, it was pretty straightforward. Started with a small pilot bit and gradually increased the bit size. Covered it on the outside with a marine clamshell fitting that I got from a local boating place. A little caulking sealed the clamshell fitting and hole against water.

ericandalice

Senior Question Asker
Not sure I would feel comfortable putting holes in it either. Where do you plan to view with it?

Just down the door side. Not sure if it'd be better to put it toward the front beneaht the awning faced back to the door or on the slide facing down at the stairs.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
When we ordered the 07 Sundance, we had a security camera added by the factory and never used it. Instead, we have added on our new coach the security motion light. That works great.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I'd go with the motion sensor porch light rather than a security camera. A bright light suddenly popping on is a better deterent to uninvited guests who may recognize the camera and shield their faces as they sneak up.

ericandalice

Senior Question Asker
The camera is bought. We also purchased an inside camera so we can keep an eye on our pets from anywhere. We'll definitely look into the motion sensor light as well, but for now, we just need ideas on installing the camera. It's wireless, but of course there will still be a power line.

jbeletti

Alice,

From what I gather from your comments here, you have purchased an wireless outdoor camera to monitor the entrance door of the coach. You are looking for ideas on how/where to mount it.

Couple of thoughts and comments:
  • When we do or used to install security cameras on some units, they were mounted below the awning, next to the awning arm with the camera pointing downward and back towards the entrance door. I think this is what you are wanting to do
  • Bear in mind that a bright light over the door may not play nice with a camera
  • Depending on the focal length of the lens, maybe you can mount it below the door light and just to one side of the door. If it has a 4 to 6 mm lens, that may still give you a decent enough field of view when mounted a couple feet from the subject
  • You will most likely be drilling a hole for the power wire
  • Consider 3M Trim Tape (auto parts store) for mounting the camera if you don't want to drill holes for mounting. I seriously doubt the camera would fall off with that tape - unless the camera is not very low profile
  • If the outdoor security camera can be monitored remotely, then I'd consider doing the project. Otherwise, I'd probably skip it. Looking out the window to see who's there is likely way faster than turning on a TV or monitor and switching to the correct input/camera

Whatever you end up doing, please share with the group as we all love to get and share ideas.

Jim

PS: All that said, I do a lot of things (electronic stuff) at home "just because I can". Not because it was cost effective or even practical in the mind of others :)