proper tire inflation

Wayno

Just got a new set of Maxxis tires (10 ply). Max. PSI is 80#. My NT is quite a bit lighter than the max. weight for these tires. Big question: Do I still keep them inflated to 80#? Have checked many sites online but opinions differ greatly.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
I have the same tires for my light weight XLT. I tried 80 psi, it was too much pressure for 1700lb per tire weight. The tire will wear out in the center of the tread with 80 psi. I run 68-70 psi and the tread wear is even. Figure your weight per tire, maybe start at 70 psi and go down from there.
The tire chart says I should be running 25-30 psi?

Duramax1

what pressure is specified on the label on the side of your trailer or the label inside your trailer?

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
The only way you can be sure what psi to run is to weigh the rig tire by tire. There are places that you can get that done. The 2nd best way is to go to a scale where you can weigh the axle then divide that in half to get a ball park figure of what each tire is carrying. You might be surprised.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
The inflation table for the 225/75-15 tires indicate a tire pressure of 50 PSI for a tire load of 2150 lbs per tire. That would allow for a 8600lb GVWR for the trailer. More details about your trailer such as model, GVWR and tire size would be helpful.

TireHobby

For OE tires the correct tire pressure can be found on the certification label, tire placard or in the owner’s manual. With ST tires it’s going to be the same as the maximum amount found on the tire’s sidewall.

ST tires are designed to be operated at full sidewall pressure - all the time.

Weighing your trailer and finding out what each tire is carrying is very helpful in finding out if the trailer’s overloaded. From the weight findings you can move things around and balance your load. Or remove some stuff if overloaded.

Remember, tires on RV trailers - all of them - are fitted to the vehicle’s GAWR.

Using less pressure than the vehicle manufacturer’s recommended pressures is unsafe and unwise.

Now, for the OP. Are your new Maxxis tires the same size as the OE tires? Are they larger with more load capacity.

Maxxis is one of the few ST manufacturers that supports the use of their load inflation chart. I recently had a phonecon with one of their area reps. He would not provide a recommendation. He said that is the responsibility of the vehicle manufacturer or tire installer when replacing OE tires with tires larger in size or increased load capacities.

The air pressure needed to provide the load capacity of the OE tires would become the new recommended pressure (RMA).

TireHobby