Excessive Data Usage on Verizon MiFi - Security Issue

danemayer

I've been getting surprised at the data usage on the Verizon Mifi (4510). While staying at State Parks, we're getting unexpected usage of 1 - 2 Gigabytes or even more in a single day. In the past 2 days, over 7 GB of data usage showed up unexpectedly. This level of usage is consistent with watching movies (Netflix or Hulu or similar). Of course, most of our activity is on text-based websites like the Heartland Forum and we're not streaming any video. So this doesn't make sense.

Verizon has no additional info such as what websites were visited, or MAC Addresses of the compute devices using the MiFi, but they graciously issued credits to cover the unexpected usage.

Checking on Google, I found that information on how to crack the security on the Verizon MiFi is readily available. Apparently, with the default security provided on the MiFi, it takes less than 5 seconds to break the passcode. So it's very possible that someone in a nearby space at the park has been using our MiFi to stream video.

There are 2 suggested security improvements to make the MiFi more secure: 1) change the SSID to something that doesn't include "Verizon" or "4510". 2) change the WPA/PSK Passcode to something with at least 20 digits. Mine was originally all numeric. I changed it to a 25 character alphanumeric.

If you change the passcode, be sure to record the new code somewhere you'll be able to find it again. You'll need it if you add or change your compute devices, or if you have a connectivity problem that requires you "forget" the connection and re-establish it.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
So Dan, now that you have changed your password does this mean I can't watch movies anymore???:):):)

Peace
Dave

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Good info, Dan. I haven't had any nefarious usage of our Verizon MiFi but I should change the security codes as you suggest. I don't leave the device on when we're not using it, though, so that might be a consideration to avoid hitchhikers. It does indicate how many devices are accessing it on the little screen, so if I see more than three (two laptops and a wireless printer), I will know somebody is trying to sneak in.

3Gstore

It really isn't necessary to have a long 25 digit password. For example a strong 10 digit password using letters/numbers in WPA form would take over 3 months to crack. The problem with MiFi devices is they typically use all numeric passwords and they can easily be cracked with a variety of widely available software.

For example a password like "thisismypass" would be far less secure than "Myp@ssw0rd" even though the second password has two less characters.

Vtxkid

Great info... hadn't had any problems yet ourselves but I will be changing it anyway so we don't get any surprises too! Thanks...

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Great info... hadn't had any problems yet ourselves but I will be changing it anyway so we don't get any surprises too! Thanks...

Jerry, send me your password and I'll let you know if it's a secure one. By the way, are we camping together anywhere soon :rolleyes::angel:?

JohnDar

Maybe you know this, maybe you don't (just remembered it). With the Verizon MiFi, you can set up your account so that they e-mail you at various usage levels. You can also go to your account and see how much of your data package allowance you've used/have left. Mine is set to alert me when I've reached half of the monthly GB limit.

danemayer

you can set up your account so that they e-mail you at various usage levels.
John, thanks for bringing this up. I have this set up but when the problem first occurred, I got up at 5AM to find that a series of emails had arrived overnight warning of 25%, 50%, 75%, 100%, and an overage. The details screen on the website still showed less than 2GB usage out of our 5GB plan. The Verizon systems are not exactly real time in this area.

JohnDar

John, thanks for bringing this up. I have this set up but when the problem first occurred, I got up at 5AM to find that a series of emails had arrived overnight warning of 25%, 50%, 75%, 100%, and an overage. The details screen on the website still showed less than 2GB usage out of our 5GB plan. The Verizon systems are not exactly real time in this area.

The hacker(s) must have had a busy night. Sorry to hear you got "broken into." I turn off the MiFi device when we're not using it, so I hope that will prevent any unauthorized users.

Vtxkid

Hah, Gus you are so funny!!! :) That I know of, Castaways so far is the next get together.with We can't do next weekend due to another commitment.