same cable but different stations

Rodbuster

We just arrived at the James Island Campground in Charleston, SC. There is no cable offered here and I didn't bring my "Dish" so we are just using the antenna on the roof.
My question is, why do I get a number of stations (let's say 8 stations) on my living room TV and then I am able to get 12 reception stations on my bedroom TV???

Thank you
Dick

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Did you do a "scan for stations" on each TV? If not, they will default to receiving on the last known good channels (even though there are different stations from your previous location). The scan is needed on some new TV's for it to process the signals correctly.

danemayer

Dick,

Since the COAX in Landmarks goes to the bedroom signal booster first, then to the basement and exterior TV (if there), and finally to the living room, the signal in the living room goes through several splitters and can be degraded by lousy crimps on the connectors or by a loose or oxidized connection. If the TV signals are weak, even if the connections are ok, the extra coax and the splitters may make a difference.

Heartland crimps the coax connectors and the quality of the crimping determines the quality of the connection. By comparison, satellite companies use compression fittings that are hard to get wrong. I replaced all of my coax connectors with compression fittings.

It's also possible that the tuner in the bedroom TV is more sensitive and does a better job.

Rodbuster

Thank you Gus and thank you Dan.
Gus, yes my wife did do a scan on both TV's.

Dan, your thought on the living room TV getting a lesser quality or strenght of signal because it goes through several splitters makes sense to me.

Thank you both for your responses.

Dick

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
The difference in reception is usually a factor of the quality of the tuner on the television. To verify this you could move the television to the other connection and then rescan. We have the same thing, a Sony TV in the living room and a Poloraid TV in the bedroom will get different channels and some same channels on the antennae. I know it is weird but that is the way it is. You could even get the same brand and model of televisions and the tuners might tune in different channels due to the way it is set up.