Kodiak Disc Brakes Conversion

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
Has anybody have any experience with the Kodiak disc brake conversion? They are substantially cheaper then buying the Dexter brand to do the retrofit. But there are some differences

Kodiak is a Single Piston Caliper where the Dexter is a dual piston Caliper. That is the major difference that I have seen. As far as the Hyd Actuator pump goes. The Dexter is priced about in the middle for around $720. So I believe I would use that pump.

But to do one wheel with dexter parts I am looking at $600-$700 per wheel. With Kodiak I could do all 4 wheels for around $1300. But that does not include the brake lines.

The conversion will be on (2) Dexter 7k axles.

Kodiak may not be as good as the Dexter parts but I could only image the Kodiak disc brakes would be a huge improvement over the Magnet Drum Brakes.

Both kits are 13" rotors.

Dexter kit, I would have to buy Idler Hubs for the Rotors to slip over. Kodiak the Hub/Rotor are one piece.

scottyb

There is a topic on here somewhere with a very good Youtube video on the installation of Kodiak disc brakes.

jnbhobe

There are a few of us who have changed to disc brakes, everyone has used the Kodiak parts with a Carlisle controller. I think one has the Brakerite controller. Look for the you tube video in posts by cookie, he made a great video. I'll tell you this much its the best upgrade you can do you can't believe the difference. Mor/Ryde also does the conversion in their shop. The hardest part of doing it your self is running the lines, also going to 1/4 in lines from 3/16 will get rid of any hesitation.

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
There are a few of us who have changed to disc brakes, everyone has used the Kodiak parts with a Carlisle controller. I think one has the Brakerite controller. Look for the you tube video in posts by cookie, he made a great video. I'll tell you this much its the best upgrade you can do you can't believe the difference. Mor/Ryde also does the conversion in their shop. The hardest part of doing it your self is running the lines, also going to 1/4 in lines from 3/16 will get rid of any hesitation.

I am quite aware of the improved braking of EOH. But my only experience is with a trailer I just recently sold. That trailer had (2) Dexter 12k axles with Dexter Disc Brakes. Stopping force was unbelievable to say the least.

But I just want to besure that people have had a very good experience with the Kodiak brand. I hope to be able to knock this out around the beginning of next year.

DO yall have the part number of the kit that yall used. Kodiak has about 15 different kits to choose from. Also, is the difference between the 7k and 8k a mounting thing or is the stopping force just a bit better on the 8k series but with the same mount as the 7k?

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
Here it is.

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/28931-Disc-Brake-Conversion-Tutoral

jnbhobe

I have 7k axles with 8k hubs on them the parts are all the same

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

porthole

Retired
Kodiak = standard GM brake pads, available everywhere.

The main difference between two systems when I had mine installed was the bearings. Kodiak uses standard conventional type wheel bearings. The other brand used never lubes, which I do not care for.
Kodiak has been doing brakes for quite some time.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I have the 7k axles with 8k outer bearings in my Kodiak conversion.
We are camping now, but when I get home I will look up the part numbers.
But I have Lippert axles not Dexter.
A call to Kodiak will get you the correct part numbers.
Be sure to use 1/4" lines back to the axles.

Peace
Dave

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
http://www.southwestwheel.com/store/showproduct.aspx?ProductID=100&SEName=ultimate114

This is the kit that I may buy. Speaking to the guy at Kodiak he was telling me not to run the Dexter Pump as they tend to put out more then 1,600psi. This kit comes with a Titan pump. I know those are also pretty good pumps.

But this kit comes with everything but the main line is only 20ft and it is 3/16. There was no upgrade for it. I would be installing the pump in the front compartment. I figure it would be safer to keep the Power Wires shorter (Less current draw) and running the longer hydraulic line.

I had the EOH on my old trailer. It was a 25ft run from the first axle to the pump using 3/16 line. Never noticed a delay on that setup.