Eureka Yellow Jacket no shut off temporay fix

porthole

Retired
My Yellow Jacket started the "no shut off game" last month. Dug into the problem today.
The simple thing to check is the outlets. It is possible the connectors are touching (shorting the low voltage turn on circuit) or the dust pan door may be out of whack.

More then likely though, the internal relay is bad. Mine is out of warranty so I took it apart.

Temporary fix is to smack the relay with a tool. I used a 3" 1/4" bolt. This "unstuck" the relay and mine is now working correctly again.
If you are adventuress enough you can change out the offending relay. It is soldered onto the circuit board.
They are relatively cheap, I found them on evilbay for $14 for 5.

1st pic is the model number
2nd pic shows the circuit board with the troublesome relay. The relay is the blue item.
3rd pic shows how they set the wires, no slack to remove the circuit board. The red and black wires are from the vac inlet "on terminals"
4th pic is the strain relief. Look closely and you can see where to squeeze with pliers. This needs to be done in order to get some slack to remove the circuit board.

Attachments

• Yellow_jacket_1.jpg
    Yellow_jacket_1.jpg
    520.5 KB · Views: 230
  • Yellow_jacket_2.jpg
    Yellow_jacket_2.jpg
    524.1 KB · Views: 295
  • Yellow_jacket_3.jpg
    Yellow_jacket_3.jpg
    441.1 KB · Views: 249
  • Yellow_jacket_4.jpg
    Yellow_jacket_4.jpg
    384.3 KB · Views: 244

porthole

Retired
1st picture shows the wires adjusted to allow enough slack to remove the circuit board
2nd pic shows an index mark on the cover. I didn't look to see if it made a difference, but figured I'd show this since it is easy to overlook.

3rd pic - Ah - X marks the spot. The relay is mounted on the board directly behind this "X".
A sharp rap with an object, say a wooden dowel or similar, may just be enough to un-stick your relay.

Mine is working for now so I will see how long it lasts. But if it acts up again I will be changing out the relay.

part number:
SLA-24VDC-SL-A

An evilbay link
http://www.ebay.com/itm/5pcs-SLA-24VDC-SL-A-24V-DC-SONGLE-Power-Relay-PCB-Type-/290687638888

[h=1][/h]

Attachments

• Yellow_jacket_5.jpg
    Yellow_jacket_5.jpg
    516.8 KB · Views: 274
  • Yellow_jacket_6.jpg
    Yellow_jacket_6.jpg
    453.7 KB · Views: 244
  • Yellow_jacket_7.jpg
    Yellow_jacket_7.jpg
    371.9 KB · Views: 262

brianharrison

Thanks Duane, appreciate the info and recommendation for the "temporary bolt smack trick". My Eureka is still working OK, so I'll file this away for future reference. May even mark my "X" for the wife "hit here" instructions for when she does the vacuuming...;)

Take care,
Brian

Holy cow!!! It worked!!! After a good amount of time and effort to get to the circuit board, a couple of good whacks and some other "poking around" the wires to make sure everything looked good, resulted in the darn thing working again. Since ours was just 6 months out of warranty, it saved me a sizeable repair cost. Thank you!!!

PJBunn

1st picture shows the wires adjusted to allow enough slack to remove the circuit board
2nd pic shows an index mark on the cover. I didn't look to see if it made a difference, but figured I'd show this since it is easy to overlook.

3rd pic - Ah - X marks the spot. The relay is mounted on the board directly behind this "X".
A sharp rap with an object, say a wooden dowel or similar, may just be enough to un-stick your relay.

Mine is working for now so I will see how long it lasts. But if it acts up again I will be changing out the relay.

part number:
SLA-24VDC-SL-A

An evilbay link
http://www.ebay.com/itm/5pcs-SLA-24VDC-SL-A-24V-DC-SONGLE-Power-Relay-PCB-Type-/290687638888

[h=1][/h]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
21111c8bedf6e946e3b3a1d4679ec32a.jpg
After following Your guidance I rapped on mine... it worked! Then it quit! I’ll order the new relay now thank you I thought the motor burned up in a brown out! Great thread!

porthole

Retired
From the time I started this thread, October 2012 until trading the Cyclone in last month, all ours took was that one rap with a bolt. Worked fine ever since.

PJBunn

I rap on mine with the cover off it sparks heavy out of relay and motor spools.... doesn’t seem to want to engage. I just ordered new relay.... 4 bucks off eBay! We have around 80,000 miles on our 11 cyclone and it’s been a great unit once I replaced all the self destructing tires lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk