Solid wood cabinets - paper coated trim.

MTPockets

I just discovered the trim piece on my solid wood cabinets in my 2012 Big Horn are paper coated instead of stain. I noticed one of the trim piece exterior corners looked like it had been scratched, but upon closer inspection, a small piece of that paper coating was coming un-glued. These cabinets look great with the solid wood doors and frames, now I'm a bit taken aback with the trim piece paper coating. Wondering if it will all peel off over time. Anyone had this problem? why would they not use wood?

hapjack

We have a 2011 Bighorn 3585. After we had it for awhile we had the same problem around the door frame.We called the factory and they sent us matching paper and DW installed it,looks good and no more problems.

tljack

Glad to find this thread. I have a 2013 Road Warrior and have the same problem. It seems that if my wife barely bumps the trim with the vaccuum for example, big chunks of this paper finis come off!! Who do I need to contact and how? We have only made two trips, one for 5 weeks and one for 6 weeks. Our woodwork looks like it is falling apart!!

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Guess I need to take a closer look at my cabinetry. I wasn't aware that they were using a fake wood applique over real wood. Now, I've used real wood applique to cover the edges of plywood shelving, etc., (heat-activated PSA) that stains well and stays on, but a paper self-stick one??

If the stuff they're using is that cheap, you can find the real wood applique (like I use) at most home centers or woodworking stores. You can use an iron to apply it and they make an inexpensive trim tool to remove the excess.