Leaving Hawaii

txdds

As you can see, I've only posted 22 times since 2009. We purchased a BC 3500RL and then got orders to be stationed in Hawaii. Our brand new BC has been in storage since 2010. We sold our F350 before coming to the island. We will be re-stationed on the mainland in the summer. Here is my question....Has anyone purchased too BIG of a trailer and then regretted it? Now that we have been without it for a few years, I'm rethinking my idea of camping. We had a 27' travel trailer that I loved pulling. Decided to try the fifth wheel. Went out and bought an F350 to drive as my daily vehicle. My husband does the hitching and set up...I do all the driving.
We only took out the BC a couple of times. Once we dropped it on the truck...OUCH! Anyway, I don't remember feeling super comfortable driving the rig. I hate to sell the BC because I know my husband won't consider a motor home. Should I talk him into down-sizing and staying with a fifth wheel? Will I notice a difference in the way a fifth wheel handles if I'm towing something smaller and or lighter? I want to be able to jump in and go for the weekend. I just feel like the BC3500RL isn't the toy I need. :( Thank you for any suggestions

lwmcguir

A 30-32 foot 5th Wheel is a nice size that is easy to get around with. Total length would be about the size of the TT you were used and would be much easier to tow. We towed a 32' Yellowstone for years and found it to be a nice size that would fit about anywhere. Good luck and thanks for your service.

rarnold

Good evening, Deb. First of all, Thank you & Jeff for keeping this country safe and great! We all appreciate everything you do in serving our country.
Secondly, your BC is a nice unit and is a good all-around size for towing and use. We love our 32' Sundance. When I have it hooked up and going down the road, I hardly realize it is behind us. In 50 MPH cross-winds this summer, the fiver was very stable on the road compared to a lot of TT's I saw blowing from lane to lane. I think in time you will get use to pulling your fiver. It is a much more solid hook-up than a TT. You are the only one who can answer how comfortable you are towing the rig of your choice.

By the way Debra, KUDOS to you for being the driver. I can't begin to get my dear wife even CLOSE to the driver's side. Good luck with your decision.

Rod

txdds

Thanks guys for the quick replies. It's not so much the towing down the road....it's the turning into gas stations, parking and getting the 38' into the campground. Funny, when I'm towing down the road, I love it compared to the TT. However, when it comes time to get off the highway, make some turns, change lanes, and use REVERSE.....I start to sweat :eek: Just wondering if the 3500RL should really be used for longer trips not weekend runs. If we get back to Texas maybe the campsites will be larger. We purchased while in CA and just couldn't find anywhere close by including state parks that would allow 38'.

piet10

I went through the same thought process as you did. We like the weekend trips, and many state parks in Minnesota and Wisconsin, which we like to use, are limited in length. WE bought a 29MK Greystone, 31 feet, which we love. Plenty of room for two of us, I almost forget I'm towing it because it is so stable, and backs easily into tight camping spaces. Apart from a failed thermostat and kinked fill tube, which Heartland repaired without question, are the only problems we have had.

Al

Speedy

Deb, I would say you need to use your BC more to really see if it is too much for you. From what you stated you have used it very little and had a accident during hitching. Things like that can discourage anyone. My wife and I went from a tent to a popup right to a BC in five years! No travel trailers or smaller rigs, we wanted something large enough to use for many years and not have regrets because it was too small. Our thoughts and wants ended up working out because we have been living it all summer and now we are hitting the road to see this great country your family give so much to protect.

So what I trying to say is give it some time and enjoy the outdoors.

danemayer

Hi Debra,

Making turns and backing up is going to make most anyone sweat until they get enough practice at it. If you only use the trailer infrequently, it's hard to gain confidence.

When you get restarted, you might want to find a large parking lot where you can set up some markers, and practice turns and backing until you get more comfortable.

Even though I'm pretty confident now, whenever possible, I use truck stops for fueling. Gas stations can be difficult. And I check reviews on campgrounds to try and weed out the ones that are challenging for larger rigs.

I've also learned my lesson about turning into Dairy Queen. There's nothing quite like doing a 3 point turn in a Dairy Queen parking lot. :p Won't do that again.

Rrloren

Another thing to consider would be to install an aux. fuel tank. You will be better able to pick and chose where you fuelup and may even find that you can do most of your fueling while unhooked.
Good luck with your decision and thanks to both of you for your service.

CeeCee

Hi Debra,
This past summer my husband & I went from a 36' travel trailer to a 5th wheel (Elkridge 28RSRE) which is approx. 30' long. We decided on that size mainly because it's just the two of us plus it's much easier to get into campsites. It's also much easier to hook up vs. the travel trailer with the stabilizer/ weight distrib. bars plus the 5th wheel tows much better & you can probably hook it up by yourself. The only down side we found was it's much higher. We really have to think about where we are going now & watch for low hanging tree branches. With the travel trailer that really wasn't much of an issue except for the length. All that said I'd still go with the 5th wheel. Hope this helps! Cyndi

wdk450

First of all, thank BOTH of you so much for dedicating part of your lifetimes to the service of all the rest of us in this great country!!!

Second, you have a large investment in that 5th wheel, that is going to lose value in either selling or trading in. It might be worthwhile to give it a chance again, before moving to something else. I am nearby and ready to help you with this, if that is what you want to do. Since you don't have a truck, I could loan you mine, for short trips. If you are interested in buying another one, I found a couple of local used dealerships that specialized in pickups through Craigslist

Third, the driving and backing confidence is never completely there (a little fear makes you a more cautious driver). You are lucky to have a lifemate to be a spotter for you in tight situations. Just think of the thousands of big rig RVers and truckers on the road - if they can do it, why can't you?? There is an RV driving school with locations nationwide, one is in nearby Auburn (http://www.rvschool.com/rvschool/Current_School_Locations.html).

I try to fuel-up without the trailer attached as much as possible. If I have the trailer on and must fuel-up, I will look for a station with diesel and broad approaches, and will skip past others. At times I have parked the rig in nearby supermarket lots and walked to the adjacent service station, scoping out the approaches and planning my towing path before pulling in.

At RV parks pull-through spaces are always easier, but when I have to back in I will not hesitate too stop frequently, get out and inspect the situation around the trailer, (including overhead obstructions, like trees), plan my next moves, before continuing backing . Right now my storage space is in a dirt lot crowded with vehicles and VERY little turning room. I have to back into my space with a 90 degree cut and not hit adjacent vehicles. I put out orange leveling pads at points where my trailer wheels must cut, and I can see those in my mirrors. It may take me 10-15 maneuvers to back into my storage space but I do it. Patience and persistence.

I will send you a PM with my phone # etc, if you want to pursue this. I am retired, and have a lot of open time.

I am assuming from your signature you are currently in nearby Vacaville.

Last edited:

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Bill hit the nail on the head. I'd also second getting a larger or an auxilliary fuel tank on your truck. I changed mine from a 34 gallon to a 56 gallon one. Base it on how many miles you feel comfortable driving in a single day, and be realistic. Anything beyond 400 and you're asking for trouble. And practice with the rig in empty parking lots will improve your confidence.

We had a 27ft. TT before the BH. It got cramped for the two of us pretty quick. And we had to board the cats when we went. Now, they "camp" with us.

txdds

Mahalo Bill for your sweet offer to help me out. I knew there was some huge reason I love RVer's....they're one big family! I'm sorry to say that we are no longer in Vacaville. I should have changed my profile. We purchased the RV and truck in Sacramento and then got orders to Hawaii six months later. We had a professional moving company move the BC my parents home on 5 acres in the Texas Hill Country. We are hoping after 27 years of Air Force service that our last assignment will be in San Antonio Texas. Stay tuned we should know in a few months were our next assignment will be.

We will make our move some time in May. I'm just muling over what to do before we leave. I can either sell my Honda CRV on the island or pay $1,200 to Matson to ship it back to the mainland. The government will ship my husbands car free, so we would have a car when we arrive. Pay $1,200 to ship it back and take my time in deciding what to do for a truck/RV or sell it on the island and apply the $1,200 to a new truck. I don't have to rush and decide on the RV right away because it's paid for....and no storage fees. But I need to decide if I want to purchase a truck and carry on with the fifth wheel. If I'm not going to carry on with the fifth wheel then I should just keep the honda.

I have to be fair and let everyone know that my dream RV would be a motor home of any kind. Since we started camping when my kids were little...I'm in my early 50's now, I've always been the driver. I just thought it would be nice to have someone else do the driving. Thinking 30' Class C. Hubby should not have a problem driving that! However, it may not be our time for that change yet. If we get lucky enough to have our last assignment in San Antonio, then we will start building a house on our land. I'm sure a truck would be much needed for that .....and a Honda CRV just wouldn't cut it.

I'm sure everyone is right and I just haven't given it enough time to feel good about the fifth wheel. And we would take a big hit in the wallet if we sold now. I guess this home grown Texas gal should hang up her flip-flops, put my boots back on and drive a truck daily. I guess I just want someone to tell me....Yes, there is a huge difference in a smaller fifth wheel.....get back to basics. Do I really need that huge thing for weekend trips. Sell the Honda in Hawaii, go back to the mainland and buy a truck, sell the BC 3500...take the financial hit....and buy a smaller fifth wheel and hit the road. Did I just answer my own question? ..now I have to talk hubby into it.

txdds

Cyndi, that is about the size or smaller. Just don't know if it's worth taking a financial hit for 8 to 10 feet difference. DH is going to complain that it's crazy to loss that much money for the downsize. o One....he doesn't drive. Two....he doesn't plan the trips out, I do. Three.....well....three, I guess there is no three. He pays for it.

Rrloren, Love the fuel tank idea! Most of my stress comes from planning the trip and having to figure out where to get my fuel. Where is the next truck stop if we pass the one planned out. You made me realize that most of the stress comes from the planning out. I just want to get in and GO! Not sure how much these extra tanks cost but I'll look into it. Is it something that can be added if we purchase a used truck?

JohnDar, Anything over five to six hours and I'm tired. Like to keep it around 60mph. I know I'm a turtle....

Kbvols

Debra

Not sure if this will help decision but...since you will be in Texas and as the saying goes Everything in Texas is bigger...it may be fate...

pegmikef

I paid 1200 dollars to put a transferflo fifty gallon underbed tank in my F250. Gives me 400 to 600 mile range between stops dependent on the wind.

jnbhobe

I paid 1200 dollars to put a transferflo fifty gallon underbed tank in my F250. Gives me 400 to 600 mile range between stops dependent on the wind.

Or you can add a tool box tank combination with 50 or 60 gallon for about $700. and still have your standard tank.

txdds

Ok Kbvols, I needed that! :) If I've learned anything in the last 24 hours....it's have more confidence in myself....practice, practice, practice. Add a fuel tank and most of my stress will be gone. And my RV family is there to always help you.

I found a web site in Texas that claims they sell on consignment. Of course, I found the perfect 30ft.....Same 2009 Big Country just smaller. Wish they would do an even swap...I'd lose two slides and 8 feet. :confused:

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Don't worry about the length of the trailer..We have a 2008 3400RE which from the pin to the back of the trailer ladder is 38ft. We have been fulltiming since 2007 and I have not found a campground that I can not fit into. I do the driving and I plan out the routes to the places we go. We have an agreement to travel on Monday, Wednesday and Friday and keep the trips from 150 to 250 miles. We have traveled 50 miles and 460 miles but only very seldom. We travel at about 63mph which is the speed my 2006 F250 runs well at.

Before you trade out for a MH you might try to rent one for a while. I know of a number of people that traded to a 5th wheel because the MH is much harder to drive, especially in high wind, park in tight spots because they don't bend in the middle. Like stated above if I have a hard camp site to get into I use small orange cones that we used when training horses years ago. Also you might have to jocky the rig a number of times to get it to go into a space. You don't (and I almost never) am able to back into a space the first or second time. Practice on a large shopping center or grocery store parking lot with the orange cones is very helpful. We also took Dick Reed's RV driving school years ago.

I don't know if you plan to go fulltime or just occasional summer trips. If you plan to be fulltime don't go to a smaller trailer. We had a 29ft SOB and after about 8 months we were looking for a bigger trailer.

When you get back to Texas look some of us up and visit. There are a number of rallys going on in Texas and you are welcome to come to any one of them. We will be around the Gulf after February until the rally in April. Many of us are in Rockport TX, so if you can get down there look us up..

BC

wdk450

Ok Kbvols, I needed that! :) If I've learned anything in the last 24 hours....it's have more confidence in myself....practice, practice, practice. Add a fuel tank and most of my stress will be gone. And my RV family is there to always help you.

I found a web site in Texas that claims they sell on consignment. Of course, I found the perfect 30ft.....Same 2009 Big Country just smaller. Wish they would do an even swap...I'd lose two slides and 8 feet. :confused:

Be careful with the consignment idea, know the charges to you before you sign anything (one place I know charges the owner $100 every time the RV is "shown", besides the commission). Also, there has been a recent thread on this forum saying that ALL the RV insurers wont't cover the RV when it is on a commission lot, and the lots all have you sign a no liability clause, so your RV is not covered for fire, theft, vandalism while on a consignment lot.
BTW, use a hitch pin lock theft deterrent anytime your RV is left alone. Low lifes and druggies are stealing them for hidden remote hunting retreats and meth labs.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
...JohnDar, Anything over five to six hours and I'm tired. Like to keep it around 60mph. I know I'm a turtle....

That's pretty realistic, in my opinion. 60 - 65 mph is where I like to stay, even though our "trip" (to seasonal site) is only 200 miles. I'm slowly getting the wife warmed up to the idea of taking the rig somewhere during our "off" season, and since I'll be the only driver, the larger fuel tank will get me as far as I want to drive in one stretch without having to hunt for fuel with the rig on.