Why are 50 amp female twist connectors so expensive?

alanfred

Lowest price I've found is over $80 and that's without the water proof jacket.

Come on folks a hundred bucks for a plug. I bet they figure if you can afford the coach this connector plugs into, you can afford the connector. OK, rant over, thanks for listening.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I suppose because it's a specialty market.
Look at the price of a decent motorcycle camper. A basic fiberglass tub on a lightweight frame with a canvas tent over it. More than a regular sized pop-up.

sengli

I bought a 125v to 50Amp adaptor off amazon for around $55. You could buy one of those and just use the connector. I would have to admit those plugs are big bucks.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
All those plugs are marine type and they are proud of them. SO, they charge alot of $$$$ for them. You can get ones simular to those at HD or Lowes. But, you must use some type of good sealer to make them water proof.

wdk450

I've been looking for a 50 amp female twist here in CA...can't seem to locate one???

You should be able to get these at Camping Worlds, larger RV supply stores, and posters have said Home Depot or Lowes. Online Tweetys, or Amazon.
It's NEMA designation is SS2-50R .

sengli

Looked for them at our local lowes, and home depot. They didn't carry the 50amp. They carried the 30amp plugs, but not the 50amp.

boatdoc

I have an extra one, Marinco 6364CR, that I bought for a project a couple years back, project never happened. Brand new. PM for details if you want it.

wdk450

hi try http://www.adventurerv.net/ their prices are really good and they have a good selection of products.
Joel

Joel and all:
This looks like a great RV supply site, although the plug in question is still in the $80 area. I did note that they had the lowest prices I have seen on the Progressive Charger/Converters - the PD 9260 was about $60 less than other places I have looked.

alanfred

That one is for a generator but this one http://www.amazon.com/Camco-55552-S...F8&qid=1354670070&sr=1-3&keywords=camco+50amp is the right one. You get a male standard plug and a female twist lock for $37.75 + free 2-day shipping if you are a Prime member. I purchased their standard female plug and they seem to be well made.

It looks like the 50 amp end is molded. Does it come apart? I am making a 30 amp cord to use when I don't need 50 amps. I'm not a fan of pigtail adapters, extension cables, and such.

boatdoc

It looks like the 50 amp end is molded. Does it come apart? I am making a 30 amp cord to use when I don't need 50 amps. I'm not a fan of pigtail adapters, extension cables, and such.

That's what I was thinking, Alan. Looks like a molded plug to me with those crimps.

dave10a

I am not sure why these plugs are so expensive, but as some who has sat in many design review sessions, I can assure you that government regulation and cost of various testing agencies play a big role in end unit pricing. Then comes supply and demand, consumer benefit, overhead and comparative pricing.

scottyb

Gosh, it may be molded. I suppose the wires are soldered instead of lugs, too. It must be a S&D issue because obviously the parts are not that expensive if they can sell these pigtails so cheap. Looks like they know it and are taking advantage of it.

alanfred

I am not sure why these plugs are so expensive, but as some who has sat in many design review sessions, I can assure you that government regulation and cost of various testing agencies play a big role in end unit pricing. Then comes supply and demand, consumer benefit, overhead and comparative pricing.

Dave,

I think you hit the nail on the head, with the biggest hit being "consumer benefit". If you want to run multiple AC's, and other power hungry devices, 30 amp - 3,600 watts ain't gonna cut it. As Tim Taylor (Allen) from Tool Time would say, MORE POWER, Need 50 amp - 12,000 watts, (grunt, grunt)

ihsolutions

I own a mobile home dealership. The components of most mobile homes (doors, faucets, cabinets, bathtubs, etc) are generally of much lower quality than regular residential components, yet are much more expensive. I can only assume it's because it's a specialty market with much lower production volume than what gets made for regular homes. As the volume increases, the costs come down, and there is more competition.

I'm guessing the market for 50 amp twist connectors is also comparatively small. We've got to pay to play, right?!