Installing Hitch

darb10

I am supposed to pick up a Big Country 2950RK this week and need to install a hitch for my new 5er. Which hitch do I need to get?

I have a 2005 Chevy 2500HD Diesel 4x4.

dieselengineer

Charter Member
I like the valley (husky) hitch. The latch in circles the pin and a bar locks the latch in place. Easy to see when the hitch is locked closed.

fishn2dmax

I would get a 16K or higher rated hitch and one that is easy to remove. I also agree you want a hitch that once the handle closes, IT IS LOCKED with a half circle positive latch mechanism. I would avoid any hitch that incorporates a Jaw design. I have a Husky / RBW basic Lil rocker design ( side to side) tilt that is light weight and allows for uneven surface hitching. All hitches are better today than a few years ago, but again I would only buy a hitch that is a NON-jaw type. I heard of and witnessed too many nice trucks damaged by a dropped trailer, after false hook-up due to jaw type hitch that didn't lock.

Sundance_kid

We'll try to make it easy for Darb, chopperbill. I have the same hitch as fishn2dmax. Like the the fact that when the handle slides shut it is locked. If you do go boondocking you'll be glade that it swivles also. Good luck and happy trails.

ct0218

Like dieselengineer, I have the Husky (Valley) hitch. There is no doubt when it is latched: it is automatic, visual and positive.

Wild Bill

Dedicated Bighorner
I got the RBW 16K because I thought it was a good deal. I don't like it. It's beefy and failsafe but it's a pita to get the thing to open and close. It's too touchy. You have to find the sweet spot every time or you won't be able to hook it or unhook it without fighting with release lever. I've heard that Husky is the way to go.. this is from a RV service center. I will be looking into a Husky when I get some extra cash. I just hope it's going to fit into my existing rails.

Goldenwingers

goldenwingers
I also have the 24,000 lb. Husky and have no complaints. I have used it for three years on two different trailers and never had a problem. Easy to latch and unlatch and never a question about whether it is latched or not.

Don

fivernine

B&W is my choice. After two sliders--Reese 16K and Hijacker Autoslide--I switched to B&W. With the Landmark, I really don't need a slider. I have almost never needed to go beyond 70-80 degrees in the tightest campgrounds. The B&W is the quietest hitch I've used and the easiest to hitch and unhitch. The jaws grip the kingpin close on the diameter where the sliding gate type (at least the ones I've used) have looseness that results in clunking during quick braking, accelerating afterward and on rough highways. When unhitching, I don't need to back up and unload the sliding gate to open it. The jaws just pop open after releasing the lock lever when they get unloaded. And it is over 200 lb lighter than the last slider I used--a big reduction in tire load.