Rand McNally RVND 7720 Deal

jimtoo

Well,,, I just ordered one of the 7720's. Hope I like it. Looks like they have a lot of POI's that come with it. OH>.. they have extended the time on the trade-in discount for a few more days.

Jim M

Okay, for those of you that have the 7720, what do you really think? I've read some excellent reviews and some really crappy reviews. I would like to get one but I don't know yet. I thought about the Magellan 9165, but people are really tearing it up.

OK..I ordered,, I received,,, I returned.

Received the new 7720 RM, looked good, tried checking for updates,,, loaded an update... could not make touch screen open correct place when touched. Realigned screen... worked better but almost had to hit the screen in some places. Made up a short trip, 25 mile.. tried it out...screen hard to view,,not bright enough. Could not make a change using screen touch.. realigned screen again. Screen had total dead spot in the middle of screen,,, and had to really push or hit it hard in many other places.. Got on the phone with RM,, after 12 min on hold... was issued a repair authorization. Not replace. Did not get return label for shipping.. called RM again,,, was told to talk to tech support..was told they would not pay for return shipping for repairs or return for credit.... what??? new out of box and it don't work???
Called and talked to someone again... had prepaid label for trade-in, was told to use it for return for credit..

I don't normally rant,, but this is just a product report. :)

So it is returned for credit. Guess I will stick with Garmin.

Jim M

BigDaddy

Founding Alabama Chapter Leaders-Retired
I had the 7710 for almost a year and I was never able to connect it to the PC and dowload the updates from the RM website. I recently called RM tech support and they sent me a RA number to return it for repair or replacement. But, since I bought it at CW, I decided to take it back to them. They replaced it with a new 7720 at no charge - and with NO hassle. The 7720 has the same features of the 7710 plus a few more, but the biggest (and best) difference is the screen brightness. It's MUCH better - clear and crisp. I can see it clearly even in direct sunlight. With the 7710 using the optional sun shade, it would still wash out at times. I haven't used the 7720 for long trips yet, but it seems to work fine based on the short trips I've taken (and i can connect to the RM website just fine). When I bought the 7710, I also tried the Garmin ( ? or whatever the other new 7" screen was at the time) - and liked the features and functionality of the 7710 much better.

Last edited:

ILH

I just received an email from Rand McNally offering a $100 discount on a RVND 7720 (new price $249.99). All you have to do is send in your old GPS within 30 days of receiving the new one!

http://store.randmcnally.com/gps-electronics/rv-gps.html

I was curious as to whether or not the $100 trade-in deal was still in place, so I called Ran McNally. First person I spoke with said yes, but passed me over to another sales agent who said the deal ended just before Christmas. Too bad - I'm in the market for another gps - but not af $349.

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
I was curious as to whether or not the $100 trade-in deal was still in place, so I called Ran McNally. First person I spoke with said yes, but passed me over to another sales agent who said the deal ended just before Christmas. Too bad - I'm in the market for another gps - but not af $349.

Subscribe to the Rand McNally website and they will send you emails with their current specials. Not as good as $100 off but Camping World is offering them for $329.
So far we have only used ours on a "car" trip but we are quite happy with it.

wolfrat1

Sorry about the problems you had. From the other reviews I've read the 7720 is problematic as well as the Magellan 9165tm. May as well keep the standard gps.

funntheson

I have the 7710, and a lot of the "problems" are teaching yourself how to use it. Using it once or twice doesn't give you a chance to learn how to use all the features (and there are quite a few).

wazz_zup

I called RM 2 days after the "extended rebate" offer date to see if they could slip one more sale through and they declined. Despite my begging :( But he said look for another offer coming up within a couple of months. That was a he L L of a deal...hundred dollars off with a trade in.

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
The original offer wasn't too specific about the trade in. I'd bet some folks bought "As-is for parts" GPS's on EBay for a couple bucks and used them as their trade ins.

Hunter

Newby
Tried the 7715 (which is supposed to be like the 7720 with a few less features) returned it. It said we lived at #17 in the RV mode, #11 in the Car mode. Neither of these numbers are on our street. Sometimes it showed street names, other times only the parks around us - no street names. Couldn't make it repeat the same thing twice. I will stick with Garmin. Very disappointed with the 7715, as I really wanted to like it. Friends of ours love their 7710. I guess it is what you got used to and still want .. PLUS more .. in a GPS. : )

wolfrat1

I emailed RM three times about any fixes to the 7710 and 7720 because I had heard about rvers having problems with these units. The first two emails I didn't get a response. The third email and said that if they didn't at least acknowledge my email that I would look elsewhere for another unit. No response. I look at Garmin again and at the Magellan 9165 rv unit. I have no faith in RM anymore. It sad because the 7720 had promise.

Snowtek

I'm using the Co-Pilot App on my smart phone and really like it. It is more accurate than my Tom Tom and was a free download.

wolfrat1

We attended an rv show here in Novi, Mi last week. A salesperson from General rv said Rand McNally had made several improvements to the 7720. I assumed it was just a sales pitch. As anyone heard of any updates or improvements to the 7720? I still would like to try one but still a little skeptical. If it works the way it's advertised, it would be an awesome unit.

jimpav

I'm curious if anyone that owns the 7720 has found a relatively inexpensive rear view camera to hook up to it? It seems that the only ones I've found are either included with a monitor, have poor resolution or cost many $$$$$$.

I picked-up an RVND7720 RV GPS with lifetime map updates for $315/$316 at 12Volt-Travel.com. I already had some "reward points" too so I ended up getting it for just under $300 in the end plus I got it with free shipping. I had it in 3 or 4 days.

We've covered nearly 10,000 miles with the new toy guiding the way. It has yet to fail us and includes (just as you all indicate) many of great features. I am delighted to find the RV service centers. Just like any other interest type, Simply go to that section of the gps and it will show all of that type of business in the area which you currently are.

Loving It!

G-Bubs