Proper U-Bolt Torque?

MTPockets

I've retorq'd the U-bolts on my 7000 lb axles 6 times in past 15 months and every time, some of the nuts were below spec. I got the spec on-line from a Lippert manual which says 70 ft. lbs. max torque, so that is what I have been using. Today, I was looking thru some other Lippert manuals I had downloaded and printed a few months ago, and ran across a different number for my 7000 lb axles.. (90 ft. lb) I also went back on-line today and found the 70 ft. ft. Lb. Spec again..... Soooo, I have two different numbers, both from Lippert manuals...... WOnder which one is correct? I'll call Lippert to see...... Just wondering if they have manuals with improper torques leading to various axle and tire problems? Maybe because I was using the 70 ft. Lb. is the reason some keep loosening..... And, which is correct? What number do you use?

MTPockets

O.K.... Dug a little more... The manual with the 70 ft. lb. spec is Rev032910... which I assume is 3/29/2010 ......... The manual with 90 ft. lbs. is Rev110210, which I assume is 11/2/2010 .......... Both are on Lippert sites with different web addresses.... My unit was built in September 2011 so I hope this is correct.... I'll still give 'em a call to make sure I use the correct torques. P.S. Just goes to show, you can't assume that the information we have is correct - this can lead to other problems.....

Bobby A

When I was at Lippert/Goshen Rally they told me 90# max torque, or a range of 65 to 90 Ft. lbs. I torque mine to 90.