Solved: Partial Power on Shore Power

SocalDD

Ok... I'm stumped. We own a 2012 Cyclone 3010 - While out on a four night camping trip with 30amp shore electrical hook up's I lost power to two circuits, the microwave and the tv. I checked the usual things, breakers and the actual appliances and found they were both good. I just figured I would trouble shoot the problem when I got home. As we were breaking camp and after I disconnected my shore power cord and stored it I realized I needed power (standard for me!). I fired up my generator and realized I now had power to my micro-wave and tv. Confused - I unloaded the shore power, shut down the generator and plugged her in. Surprise.... no power to the microwave or the tv. So in summary, on shore power I lose power to two circuits and with the generator running I have power to all circuits. Any help or clues on where I should start my search would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.... DD

wehavefun

Is this the first time you have hooked to a 30 amp service with your current equipment? Cords, adapters, etc.

I had the same problem your describing but it was with a 50 amp service that only had one side of the power.

jnbhobe

Re: Partial Power on Shore Power

Thats what I think too, check for power on both sides of your breaker box. If you are missing one side check the jumper at the plug that you plug into the camper.

Rickhansen

I agree with WEHAVEFUN, you are missing one hot leg. Since 30 amp service only has one, the fault is in your adapter, cords, or possibly your transfer switch.

WilmanJim

I think the FUN people are right. It's probably your cord. We had a bad plug on our 50 amp which also affected the 30 amp adapter. Replaced plug everything worked fine. Let us know what you fine please. Jim

DougS

Doug S

As others have said, I would check or replace the adapter first. If you still have a problem, check your transfer switch. My transfer switch burned out this summer and half of the RV lost it's power.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member

When I purchased the 30 amp adapter, I only had power to half of my coach.
I found out that the adapter was the problem.
I contacted the manufacturer and was told that's the way they made it in order to prevent overloading the 30 amp circuit.
You may have one of those.
I rewired it.

Peace
Dave

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

SocalDD

SOLVED! The Heartland community is great ! When I got home and plugged into my house 50a to 30a to 20a, all worked fine. It must have been the power coming from the camp site. For the life of me I don't understand why only two circuits went down - but happy it was not a major issue. Thanks again ! DD

danemayer

For the life of me I don't understand why only two circuits went down
The 50 amp pedestal has two 110V 50 amp lines. One line feeds some of the circuit breakers and the other line feeds the rest. When you adapt to a 30 or 20 amp service, there's only one line coming off the pedestal, but it's supposed to be tied to both lines in the RV 50 amp plug so it powers all circuit breakers. If the pedestal has only one hot line, or if the adapter doesn't tie the lines together, the circuit breakers associated with that line don't get powered.

porthole

Retired

For the life of me I don't understand why only two circuits went down - but happy it was not a major issue. Thanks again ! DD

I'm sure you had other non working circuits, just didn't find them. On my 3010, my panel was fairly well unbalanced, meaning very unequal amp draws between the A and B side.

It is possible the campsite was supplying you with just one leg of power and the leg was the "heavy" one in your panel.