Pocket Hose ( hose that grows)

Vtxkid

Curious if anyone has tried the "Pocket Hose" that expands out to 50 foot length for washing your truck or RV. Seems like a great idea since it shrinks down to fit in yours hands which would be great for storage!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Seen the commercials, but have not tried them. Looks pretty good, but look out for the price. If you watch the disclaimers closely, it comes out to about $1 per foot! Let us know how it works out!!!

marvmarcy

It looks as if it should be used on a clean surface. Many camp sites are dirt or gravel, and the hose might pick up all sorts of debris when shrinking. However, I've not tried one and don't intend to do so.

Vtxkid

[QUOTE=Invizatu; Looks pretty good, but look out for the price. If you watch the disclaimers closely, it comes out to about $1 per foot! Let us know how it works out!!![/QUOTE
Priced at 19.88 for a 50 foot length at Wally world...

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
That sounds pretty good at that price. Certainly is inviting when it comes to space and weight!

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
My bro has one of those. Neat idea for saving space and weight.
Don't know about the durability.
His only complaint is the el-cheapo fittings.
But what do you want for $20.

Peace
Dave

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
I would think that it would have issues holding up in direct sunlight for any actual time. Just think what the sun does to a cheap water hose over time.

Lynn1130

I researched these and about every writeup complained about the cheap plastic fittings that broke with very little use. I passed on it.

Tigersden

They're not for everyone - BUT - for the price, the negligible weight, the ease of handling/storing when not in use, these hoses work great for for me. If you are a heavy duty hose user, you would probably be happier with the conventional brass fitted hose for the long haul.

I like my pocket hose.

Vtxkid

They're not for everyone - BUT - for the price, the negligible weight, the ease of handling/storing when not in use, these hoses work great for for me. If you are a heavy duty hose user, you would probably be happier with the conventional brass fitted hose for the long haul.

I like my pocket hose.

Thanks for the first hand info Tigersden...

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
It looks as if it should be used on a clean surface. Many camp sites are dirt or gravel, and the hose might pick up all sorts of debris when shrinking. However, I've not tried one and don't intend to do so.

I use one and it actually doesn't attract dirt like you would think. I was surprised. I have a gate valve on the non regulated side of my filters and it just collapses down in the milk crate that holds the filters. Overall I'm happy with it but x2 on the cheap fittings

ILH

I have several friends who tried this hose - they experienced problems with bursts in the hose at points other than at the fittings.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Well RATS, I was going to get the 75' one for washing the Horn at home. Tired of pulling heavy hoses all over.

ILH

Well RATS, I was going to get the 75' one for washing the Horn at home. Tired of pulling heavy hoses all over.

I use one of those fabric hoses that winds flat - takes up a fraction of the space. I have a short 10' hose and a 25' section. The only drawback is that it kinks easily - so you have to lay it out. But its not a big deal - or at least hasn't been for the last couple of years.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Times 2 for the roll up hose. I've been using the same one for over 10 years. In fact we're using it now to reach our neighbors water. Our pipe has a problem underground.

Last edited:

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
There is a video on the daily RV Newsletter which basicly says these hoses are okay for use but Do NOT use them for drinking water as they contain harmful chemicals in their makeup. In other words they are okay for washing the RV, car etc but not for the city water hookup.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
There is a video on the daily RV Newsletter which basicly says these hoses are okay for use but Do NOT use them for drinking water as they contain harmful chemicals in their makeup. In other words they are okay for washing the RV, car etc but not for the city water hookup.
Jim, which hose? Roll up or expanding?

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
I stated earlier that I have had no problems with my hose. DW and I went to wal-mart during the rally this weekend and they had a as seen on TV pocket hose display. At this time I realized that there are different brands out there. I use the X-Hose not the pocket hose. The X-Hose is blue not green and I still stand by my no problems statement for it. It was the original that was advertised I bought them over a year ago. Click here for the website.

Vtxkid

Appreciate all the input guys... was out in the backyard yesterday with a fellow Heartlander and decided to try the "Pocket hose" out. Will say it was pretty cool to see it expand and contract as designed. Exterior seems to be fairly tough and suitable for what I'm thinking of using it for (RV & Truck washing). The only issue I had was the threaded connection between the hose and the spray head slightly leaked but wasn't sure if that was the hoses fault... I'll use it the summer and see how it holds up.

We just purchased one today and read the inside wrapper, When we read DO NOT drink from hose The water in the hose may become contaminated and cause serious health effects. Decided we do NOT want to use it and also it is Only for general outdoor use in applications under 80 PSI. Hope this tells us all something about using it on a camper!!!